My "Wouldn't it be nice..." list. (1st post updates)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: My "Wouldn't it be nice..." list. Enjoy. (1st post updat

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Hey Shoosh, do you know what happens in the OS when Spaces changes to a different window? Do the open windows in the other spaces release their hold on the OS or are frozen somehow?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

amplidood wrote: 13. If the Mixing Board would not respond to selections from other windows.
I'm specifically talking about working in the Consolidated window. If you have tracks selected in an edit window, then flip to the Mixing Board (not visible), it will only show the tracks that were highlighted from the previous window. I personally have never had a need for this behaviour, and it keeps me from ever using the Consolidated Window.
This happens when not in consolidated view. It bugs the hell out of me!
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

FutureLegends wrote:
amplidood wrote: 13. If the Mixing Board would not respond to selections from other windows.
I'm specifically talking about working in the Consolidated window. If you have tracks selected in an edit window, then flip to the Mixing Board (not visible), it will only show the tracks that were highlighted from the previous window. I personally have never had a need for this behaviour, and it keeps me from ever using the Consolidated Window.
This happens when not in consolidated view. It bugs the hell out of me!
There is a Preference setting for that. I think it's in the Consolidated Windows tab.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Shooshie wrote:There is a Preference setting for that. I think it's in the Consolidated Windows tab.
That's about the mixer scrolling to the active track. That's a good option. The behaviour I was talking about was this... if the Mixing Board isn't open, and you select some tracks in an edit window, only those tracks will be on the mixer when you do open it. That's a behaviour that's not necessary for me.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

amplidood wrote:
Shooshie wrote: Shooshie wrote:
There is a Preference setting for that. I think it's in the Consolidated Windows tab.

That's about the mixer scrolling to the active track. That's a good option. The behaviour I was talking about was this... if the Mixing Board isn't open, and you select some tracks in an edit window, only those tracks will be on the mixer when you do open it. That's a behaviour that's not necessary for me.
You're right. Sorry about that. Faulty memory here. But there is a way to open it to the last configuration you had open: just open it in the Consolidated Window using the tabs, without the keyboard command. Once you get it set that way, it will open every time the same way, as long as you don't use the keyboard command.

The other method is to deselect everything first: Command-D. So, Command-D & Shift-M will open the full mixing board if that's the way you last had it. By default, with nothing selected, the Mixing Board always opens to the last configuration of it. The way to make it open to the full board, regardless of how it was before, is to select all (Command-A) before opening the board.

It seems like the Track Selector Window should control that, but instead it reflects the current visible tracks, and doesn't really exert any authority at all over the situation. I really don't understand that window. It seems redundant and rather useless in light of the fact that the windows which use it have their own track selectors built into them, which toggles visible or not, by way of a button at the bottom left of the screen.

This whole area of track selection seems like it could use an overhaul, perhaps with a focus group of experienced users. I think I'd have some valid input into it, and I'm sure you would, Amplidude. Not that I expect it to happen in my lifetime. ;)

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

PS: The whole mixing board thing is not a problem for me, because I leave mine open full-screen all the time. I keep it in Space #2 for quick access with no other windows in that space.

Shoosh
Tim

Post by Tim »

They need to make it quicker and easier to save mixer layouts (key command instead of having to pull down the mini menu)), and add the ability to assign key commands to access them: maybe with little A,B,C,D,E buttons at the bottom of the mix window.
MIDI Life Crisis

Might be nice when scrubbing in the edit window to only hear what is visible. IOW only the tracks active in the track selector and not all tracks.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Might be nice when scrubbing in the edit window to only hear what is visible. IOW only the tracks active in the track selector and not all tracks.
Solo works that way. It's a preference, but it's been one of my favorite parts of the MIDI Graphic Edit window. It got broken for a while when the Shortcut Window was open, because the preference is to solo visible tracks in the frontmost window, and for a while it was treating the Shortcut Window as the "frontmost" since it was always in front. But that's been fixed for several versions now.

I like Tim's idea of saving Mixing Board (or track selector) layouts with buttons for recalling them. Because of the menu, I almost never save and recall layouts that way.
MIDI Life Crisis

Figures it's in there... Thanks.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Humbly submitted with all due consideration to oversight:

...to save an *entire* channel strip (inserts, busses, aux's included...) and to be able to import them into another project...

Oh, there are workarounds and substitutes, but that's not the point. It would be nice to drag in "this vocal" group of channel strips or "that guitar" group of channel strips with little more than a sigh if they are needed mid-project.

Templates are a wonderful way to go when all eventualities can be foreseen--- but how often in life can all eventualities be foreseen?
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Frodo wrote:Humbly submitted with all due consideration to oversight:

...to save an *entire* channel strip (inserts, busses, aux's included...) and to be able to import them into another project...

YES! I've wanted this forever. They've given us almost the equivalent with the "Save Insert Settings" That has proven to be VERY useful for me. But to go the whole way, and save entire channel strips, would be excellent. I don't know if they can apply I/O from one project to another, but I label all my busses and tracks the same: names like Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, Reverb, Submaster, and so forth. The thing is, DP doesn't look for names. It looks for the number hidden under the name (option-click an I/O field to see its number). That never changes unless you rebuild the bundles. The name is a cosmetic change only. That makes it hard for DP to apply I/O even when it's the same project and you've rebuilt the bundles with the same names. And maybe the Bundles would be another area that needs some reprogramming. I like the way it works. I just wish it worked that way 100% of the time. No more rebuilding of bundles. Isn't there some kind of "smart channel" technology they could employ that sniffs out channels by name and/or number, and/or connections, based on intelligent learning? Ok, now I'm really asking for the moon, aren't I? Well, ok, just let us save entire channel strips, and do the best possible thing with I/O, OK? I know, I know. Not likely.

But a fellow can wish, can't he?

Shoosh
Tim

Post by Tim »

Shooshie wrote:
YES! I've wanted this forever.
...and I thought I was older than you...
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

:rofl:
Tim, I always look forward to your comments. That one just tickled my funny bone.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Tim wrote:
Shooshie wrote:
YES! I've wanted this forever.
...and I thought I was older than you...
It's The Ring. He hasn't aged a day since he acquired it. You should have seen his uncle Bilbo at eleventy-one!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS