DP Newb question

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
proteussyndrome
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP Newb question

Post by proteussyndrome »

I'm new to DP. The Getting Started book mentions the WINDOWS LIST on page 44. It's supposed to display all the windows with a check next to it. But this window isn't mentioned anywhere in the user guide. Does it actually exist ? If so, where ? I can't find it in the Window menu.

And also. Are there shortcuts for selecting tools like pencil, scissors, etc in the tool palette ?

Thank you
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Newb question

Post by buzzsmith »

If you're not just teasing me, the "Windows List" is under the main menu to the left of Help. Hold the mouse down on the name "Window" and you'll see.
The current active windows are displayed at the bottom of the list with a check mark by the current active window.

Re: Shortcuts...page 298 in the DP 7 manual. (Earlier version?...look in the rear index for "Tool Palette")

Hope that helps...

Buzzy

(Also under the "Studio" menu there is an item entitled "Shortcuts". It will give you a very long list of customizable keyboard commands.)
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

proteussyndrome
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by proteussyndrome »

Oops I was looking for something actually called windows list while everything was just down there...

Thank you for the shortcuts. Help is always time saving.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Don't be surprised that stuff in Getting Started is not in the manual. For all the defense of the manual as a "copy protection scheme" :lol: it is not so good as a reference book, IMO. I am continually stumped on why I cannot find something I am looking for in there and why it doesn't (at the very least) reference basic stuff as being in the Getting Started guide. I pity to foo (like myself) who spends too much time searching only to discover that moving a soundbite is found under "throwing" and becuase it is in quotes in the manual (user guide) index as such, it is at the top of the list under soundbites; "throwing" (first entry). W-T-F?

So my suggestion would be toat the very least (if you haven't already do it) is to browse the manual table of contents (many pages in and of itself) as well as the index. Also the tip sheet sticky at the top of the forum (by Shooshie) is great. Don't discount the depth of the Help Menu built into DP! Lots of helpful stuff in there.

BTW, while I don't like the manual as a reference, I don't fault MOTU one bit. It is a massive amount of information to provide. A PDF version would be worse, IMO, but I have been asking for a PDF Index for years. Just a searchable PDF reference to the page numbers in the manual where a particular feature could be found would be excellent. IMO...

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Well said, MLC.

I forgot to mention the searchable Help option within DP.

A PDF version of a thorough index and TOC would be great to direct one to page numbers.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

zed

Post by zed »

proteussyndrome wrote:I'm new to DP. The Getting Started book mentions the WINDOWS LIST on page 44. It's supposed to display all the windows with a check next to it. But this window isn't mentioned anywhere in the user guide. Does it actually exist ? If so, where ? I can't find it in the Window menu.
The Windows are the first items listed in the Studio Menu, and the last items in the Window Menu. Some are duplicated.

Please create a signature in your profile, proteussyndrome. I went looking in my DP7 manual for your page 44 reference and didn't find it, at which point I determined you are not using DP7. I could have avoided the trouble if I had seen the version of DP you are using in a signature. Thanks. :-)

MLC, the version(s) of DP that you are using is also mysteriously missing from your signature. I only know the answer from our recent Bidule discussions.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Everythings current and runs on current except my Yamaha grand.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS