Your killer bass sound?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
doctormelodious
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Your killer bass sound?

Post by doctormelodious »

I have MachFive2 (with just the included library thus far), and all of the VIs that come with DP6. I struggle with the age-old challenge of getting a good, solid, punchy bass sound. I scroll through all of the bass samples/patches, and nothing's giving me what I want. Of course, I know it's not only the sample/patch, but the way it's EQ'd, compressed, etc. Then there's the whole mastering process, about which I know just enough to be dangerous. :o

So I wanted to pose this wide-open question: how do you achieve your killer bass sound? If you're using fake bass, what are your go-to sounds, and what makes them so?

Thanks!
DM

P.S. If there's already a thread for this, my apologies in advance -- and please point me to it! I searched but didn't find.
Mac Pro 8 x 2.8GHz, 16GB, OS X 10.6.8
DP 7.24, MachFive 3.2, EZ Drummer, RealGuitar/Strat/LPC
Ivory II Italian Grand, Korg Legacy M1/PolySix
Garritan PO4/JABB3, NI FM8, Vintage Horns
UAD-2 Solo, RME FireFace 800
Mackie HR824s, various mics/keys/outboard

"What a beautiful world this will be. What a glorious time to DP!"
Shooshie

Re: Your killer bass sound?

Post by Shooshie »

One of my favorite sources is Bassline, which I augment with a parallel Aux track holding one or more plugins which nearly always include Waves C4 or Linear Phase Multiband (which I call the C5), and sometimes MaxxBass. There are dozens of great basses in the Kurzweil library that I also like. Orchestral basses include cellos and double basses, and there are fine ones in the VSL library and Garritan and MSI. Then there are bass wind instruments, including tuba, trombone, euphonium, contrabassoon, contrabass sax, bass sax, bassoon, bari sax, and others I'm probably forgetting. They all have their place, and can be a lot of fun. But I really like synth basses a lot, even though I don't have much call for them in my normal work. Bassline is capable of some great bass sounds. When you modulate them with various plugins, they become far and beyond what the presets in Bassline will give you.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/trilian.php

If I were to use a VI for bass, this would be at the very top of my list. I read somewhere on here that there was/is some trouble running it in DP. I don't know what that was all about (some trouble with Steam, I think) or with what version(s) of DP it was happening in or if it's still a problem.

Anyway, check it out.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
tonester

Post by tonester »

My go-to is EastWest Quantum Leap Ministry Of Rock. Next would be Trilogy/Trillian. If you use Reason, their Electric Bass refill is quite nice. This is of course when i don't want to play the line myself!!!! :)
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

Trilian... hands DOWN! Good thump and tone... well, I think because I'm used to real bass players most likely. I've tried them all and nothing's as convincing. Don't have to process them either to sit in the mix which is what a good bass should... it should stand on it's own!
Some seem to compress basses too much and suck the life out of them... you don't need to with trilian, it's there!
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

I keep going back to Red Bass (now J-Bass I think) in Kontakt 3 running through Amplitube Ampeg SVX virtual amp. Or I just plug my bass into my interface and run it through the same.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

+1 for Trillian. The gold standard for virtual bass instruments, as
far as I'm concerned.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
doctormelodious

Post by doctormelodious »

I just watched one of the Trilian videos on the Spectrasonics web site. Very impressive indeed. I'm leaning heavily towards it at this point.

Thanks for the responses. I'm also interested in hearing about your approach to EQ and compression on bass tracks.

Regards,
DM
Mac Pro 8 x 2.8GHz, 16GB, OS X 10.6.8
DP 7.24, MachFive 3.2, EZ Drummer, RealGuitar/Strat/LPC
Ivory II Italian Grand, Korg Legacy M1/PolySix
Garritan PO4/JABB3, NI FM8, Vintage Horns
UAD-2 Solo, RME FireFace 800
Mackie HR824s, various mics/keys/outboard

"What a beautiful world this will be. What a glorious time to DP!"
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

doctormelodious wrote:I just watched one of the Trilian videos on the Spectrasonics web site. Very impressive indeed. I'm leaning heavily towards it at this point.

Thanks for the responses. I'm also interested in hearing about your approach to EQ and compression on bass tracks.

Regards,
DM
Opto comps are the mainstay but it all depends on the aggression you want. LA2A or 1176 LN (software or hardware) rip pretty good but I also use SVX and it's has some nice SVT sims and 8 10 cabinet models that give it another level of realism. DBX comps are good too. It's one of those subjective things in tone... everyones different when it comes to comps. But I believe in the tone of the bass itself before anything and trilian has that sound! Nice and rich harmonically and punchy and just enough transient to have the aggression if needed. You don't want to be heavy handed with it thats for sure because on the deeper patches, the tone is really velocity sensitive to get that realism in the dynamics.
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

Whatever you're using for your source, I love DP's built in Preamp-1 on bass. Out of the zillion plugins I own I end up using that much of the time. A little distortion, a little eq, a little compression, and viola. Or bass, actually.

bb
cxi2001

Post by cxi2001 »

Trillian and / or Ominsphere every time.
Whenever i go to it i find a new sound, which is usually monstrous.
No problems in DP, though i'm still on 6.03.
Digital Performer 11.22 - Mach Five 3 - Mac Studio M1 - 16GB RAM - OS Ventura - SSL 2+ - Omnisphere - Stylus RMX - Trillian - Zebra - Native Instruments Komplete - Newfangled Audio
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I guess we're talking bass guitar sounds? OK, I'm outta here. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Funny; bass has so much potential beyond "electric bass guitar." I LOVE bass, and program endless bass patches for fun.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Shooshie wrote:Funny; bass has so much potential beyond "electric bass guitar." I LOVE bass, and program endless bass patches for fun.
Trillian goes way beyond electric bass guitar. Just reading the patch list and sound sources will make you drool.

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instrument ... ibrary.php

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
JD
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JD »

Curious if anyone is using Rob Papens SubBoomBass. If so, feedback on it as i've been considering it. I demo'd it a while back and remember being pretty impressed with it but didn't have the funds at the time.
DP7.1 / OS X 10.6.2 / Macbook 2.4 Duo / 4G RAM / G5 Quad Intel / UADe / TC Powercore