Butch Vigs Smart Studios, Madison Closing

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Butch Vigs Smart Studios, Madison Closing

Post by Timeline »

This is one room I REALLY wanted to re-establish myself in when moving here last summer. The studio sports an A range Trident with F-Faders and all the amenities of a major studio including an up and running Studer 24 for it's protools users. I'm quite sad.

My understanding is that March 1 is the last day of operation and I will be booking tracking on one week end prior to the closing for a few local artists. That's the way the cookie crumbles I guess and once they are gone they don't come back these days.

The best digital sound I have ever gotten is recording though a major console like this to DP or 24 2" and transferring to DP. Pretty much untouchable! Oh Well.

Gary Brandt
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Butch Vigs Smart Studios, Madison Closing

Post by BKK-OZ »

I remember Butch and Steve when they first set up Smart studios, many many years ago. All they had at that time was an 8 track, an old desk, a big ol' plate 'verb, and one hell of a lot of ambition, drive and talent. Hopefully they are moving onto bigger and better things.

IMHO, they were pretty good guys, and they deserve all of their success.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku