FREE NI Kore Holiday Selection

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dave pine
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

FREE NI Kore Holiday Selection

Post by dave pine »

here's one that was buried in another free thread.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... tion-2009/
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
zed

Re: FREE NI Kore Holiday Selection

Post by zed »

It's a pretty good set of sounds. You get quite a bundle of sounds (and a bunch of FX you can use on your tracks) when you download the free Kore Player, and this extra collection. It is definitely worth doing.

The Kore Player will remember your settings in a DP project, but unfortunately you cannot actually save your presets in the Kore Player so that they can be loaded later in another project. That is the price you pay for not paying the price for the full player. But it is definitely worth the download.

I also bought the North India Kore Pack for $50 by using the NI discount code (which is good until Dec 31/09)
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
mhschmieder

Re: FREE NI Kore Holiday Selection

Post by mhschmieder »

I downloaded it but it won't install as it's Intel-only. I'm sure the installer will still work (I doubt it is time-limited as that would be hard to program), once I'm on a new computer. last year's free Kore Holiday pack was Intel and PPC.

Zed, let me know how the North India pack is. I decided against it due to my extreme disappointment with Drawbar '57 -- I will only buy expansions that can work in the individual products like Absynth and Kontakt from now on. The Kore interface is very non-direct, like a generic MIDI keyboard controller with unlabeled knobs. I was hoping it was more like KSP-scripted Instrument interfaces in Kontakt. They really should target that as a goal for Kore 3.

Also, Kore freezes my computer in most cases before I can even tweak one setting. Granted, I have an old computer, but consider what products I CAN run on my computer, and it's a sad commentary on how poorly programmed Kore must be.

Nevertheless, I'm interested to hear if North India is good, because a VERY deep analysis of its contents indicated to me that it content is probably less detailed for sitar than Sitar Nation, but that it does probably have more articulations for the Tabla pair than Sitar Nation -- if only the Kore interface made access to those features as intuitive as Kontakt does.

It's always hard to judge by audio demos as you don't know what went into them, but overall I find the timbre of Sitar Nation more appealing.

I was tempted due to the Shehnai, as I still use my Yamaha MOTIF-Rack XS for that sound. Alas, the one in the North India pack appears to be a repeat of the one from the main Kontakt library -- only with a worse GUI.

I did buy Absynth Spectral though, as I was quite impressed by the audio demos. Fortunately that one will load in Absynth without needing Kore. With the $25 discount I thought it was worthwhile.

Last year, I used the holiday discount coupon for FM8 Transient Attacks, which also can run in FM8 vs. only in Kore. I highly recommend that library as it is the first major library to take advantage of FM8's extensive new features and is very well programmed. I use several of its presets, and not even just as starting points as is usually the case for me with FM patches. It has a lush timbre and fills out a mix without stepping on anything.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH