Adjusting Headroom - How to move all volume input at once?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tritonemusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Adjusting Headroom - How to move all volume input at once?

Post by Tritonemusic »

magicd wrote:Anybody mention holding down the W key and pulling faders down in the mixer?

Dave
I don't think that works correctly (unless all of your volume levels are static) because if you have automation drawn in, and you stop playback, all the values jump back to the original settings when resuming playback. If you do the "W" trick during playback, than the automation is ignored altogether. Sorry if I'm wrong. If so, please let me know because I love learning new things.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Dan Walsh

Post by Dan Walsh »

666 wrote: I don't think that works correctly (unless all of your volume levels are static) because if you have automation drawn in, and you stop playback, all the values jump back to the original settings when resuming playback. If you do the "W" trick during playback, than the automation is ignored altogether. Sorry if I'm wrong. If so, please let me know because I love learning new things.
That's what I thought too. But now I'm all ears....
iMac 3.06 i3|OSX 10.6.8|8 gig ram||DP 7.24|Motu 896HD|2 Avalon VT 737's|Presonus ADL600|Slate VCC|Superior Drummer 2|EZ Drummer|1.1.6|Kontakt Player 4.1|Steven Slate Drums EX|SampleTank 2 XTAntares ATR-1|Presonus Central Station|Neumann TLM 103|Rode NT1|Audio Technica AT 4033 X2| Rode NT-5's|and lot's of other junk
wurliuchi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by wurliuchi »

What I don't like about using W is I have found it not be proportional with all tracks. When some tracks are over unity and some below it can get messed up. Maybe they fixed/changed that in 6 or 7 (I doubt it). I haven't checked 6 and I don't have 7.

Going back to changing the automation for a group of tracks, just as interest, you could use W to change automation for a group of tracks by holding down the W key and setting one of the tracks to Trim Latch (battling the jumpy menu), setting automation to record and adjusting the fader the amount you want to change (all this while still holding down the W key) and then playing the entire sequence. Weird, but it works.
DP 6.03 • MacPro 2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon • 9 GB RAM • 10.5.7 • Prayers
Tim

Post by Tim »

Yeah... the 'w' key does not move all faders in proportion. I use Change Continuous Data a lot, for global trim, and for tweaking automation nodes in tracks.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

wurliuchi wrote:What I don't like about using W is I have found it not be proportional with all tracks. When some tracks are over unity and some below it can get messed up. Maybe they fixed/changed that in 6 or 7 (I doubt it). I haven't checked 6 and I don't have 7.
I thought they fixed that a while back. Last time I checked, it was all working; at least it was working the way I like it.

[edit] my post got cut short while ago. Wife wanted coffee, and I'm the coffee maker. ;) The way I think the faders should work is that when you hold the W (or make a group) and move a fader, the others all move in proportion such that they meet, ultimately at infinity, and at the upper end of the scale. (or is it Unity Gain where they meet?) Anyway, we had debates about that a few years ago; some don't like it that way and think that when one fader reaches the end, they should all stop moving since the one cannot move anymore. I say that as long as it remembers the proportion between those faders, they should all meet at infinity with no premature stopping of faders just because one has reached the end of its throw.

That is, in fact, the way DP's faders have always worked, and that's how they work now, with the one exception being a few versions ago when there was a bug. In that bug, you'd reach infinity one at a time, until they were all there, and then it forgot the proportion if you moved them back up. So, they came down in proportion, then went up in unison. That was the bug, and it has been fixed. [/edit]
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Just drop the master fader level a tad and be done with it.

Shooshie is right: Magic D has advised us repeatedly as long as there are no physical outputs or plug ins that are clipping, DP will not clip internally. (note: adjusting a channel fader level doesn't alter pre-fader levels, so plug-in clipping is not the question at hand)
wurliuchi

Post by wurliuchi »

HCMarkus wrote:Just drop the master fader level a tad and be done with it.
Sure, that works, but for me, I've never felt like it was a good habit to get into. Seems lazy.

But true confessions: I have used the Trim plug as Frodo suggested or the output of a limiter to lower levels when I got tired of messing with the individual tracks and felt the mix was right. I know it makes no difference, but I always want/like the master fader at unity.
HCMarkus wrote: Shooshie is right: Magic D has advised us repeatedly as long as there are no physical outputs or plug ins that are clipping, DP will not clip internally. (note: adjusting a channel fader level doesn't alter pre-fader levels, so plug-in clipping is not the question at hand)
Yes, I've read that and done the tests, and that's true. But still, I watch levels like a hawk and I do not allow 24-bit fixed integer overage (I think that's when a track's red clip light comes on) even if it's not really clipping in the true sense. It just seems so sloppy.

Anyway, that's just my preferences.
wurliuchi

Post by wurliuchi »

Shooshie wrote:
wurliuchi wrote:What I don't like about using W is I have found it not be proportional with all tracks. When some tracks are over unity and some below it can get messed up. Maybe they fixed/changed that in 6 or 7 (I doubt it). I haven't checked 6 and I don't have 7.
I thought they fixed that a while back. Last time I checked, it was all working; at least it was working the way I like it.

[edit] my post got cut short while ago. Wife wanted coffee, and I'm the coffee maker. ;) The way I think the faders should work is that when you hold the W (or make a group) and move a fader, the others all move in proportion such that they meet, ultimately at infinity, and at the upper end of the scale. (or is it Unity Gain where they meet?) Anyway, we had debates about that a few years ago; some don't like it that way and think that when one fader reaches the end, they should all stop moving since the one cannot move anymore. I say that as long as it remembers the proportion between those faders, they should all meet at infinity with no premature stopping of faders just because one has reached the end of its throw.

That is, in fact, the way DP's faders have always worked, and that's how they work now, with the one exception being a few versions ago when there was a bug. In that bug, you'd reach infinity one at a time, until they were all there, and then it forgot the proportion if you moved them back up. So, they came down in proportion, then went up in unison. That was the bug, and it has been fixed. [/edit]
Ah, a lot of this seems much more familiar to me now. Especially the part about it getting messed up after going down to infinity and then back up (though I can't think of any situation when I would actually do that with a group) and if I did it would be a very rare occurrence.

Thanks, Shooshie, I will have to check out using "W" again. Though I think using Control N is better because you don't have to change which tracks are in the Mixer, you can just click on the faders you want.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Well now, this all has me thinking: what would simplify this process in terms of a feature request?

1. A single command to change all automation modes in one fell swoop? This would include changing the mode to Trim or Trim Latch and back again (shift-option-'character' as a toggle, for example).

2. An entirely new menu to address all/most needs with this?

3. A feature/menu which would address this process in both the SE and the Mixer-- perhaps this would be an extension of #2?

Dunno. Whaddaya think?
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
wurliuchi

Post by wurliuchi »

Frodo wrote:Well now, this all has me thinking: what would simplify this process in terms of a feature request?

1. A single command to change all automation modes in one fell swoop? This would include changing the mode to Trim or Trim Latch and back again (shift-option-'character' as a toggle, for example).

2. An entirely new menu to address all/most needs with this?

3. A feature/menu which would address this process in both the SE and the Mixer-- perhaps this would be an extension of #2?

Dunno. Whaddaya think?
"Change Continuous Data" works fine for me for adjusting existing automation in one shot. Trim or Trim Latch when time is running is great. Use it all the time. I don't have a problem with either of those. What I would like to see is a better/easier way of changing static fader (and other parameter) levels for a group of tracks.

What I think would be a great addition, and a way to make everything easier, is a way of selecting tracks in the mixer. And then maybe add the feature "Change Static Level." Think how easy that would make things. And if you accidentally select a track that has automation on a parameter you change, it doesn't matter because the automation is still there so you can't really mess it up.

Just thinkin' out loud.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

wurliuchi wrote:
Just thinkin' out loud.
... and quite constructively! :P
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
wurliuchi

Post by wurliuchi »

Frodo wrote:
wurliuchi wrote:
Just thinkin' out loud.
... and quite constructively! :P
Only because I'm half asleep. :wink: It just took me three tries to spell "because" correctly. :?
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

By the way, privately Frodo reminded me that we're talking about automation, not just fixed levels, so the W method has to be combined with something like switching all the automation modes to Trim Latch, then lowering them all by the desired amount and letting it run to the end. Of course, it's even easier if you just select everything, then lower the automation (Audio CC#7) through the Change Continuous Data dialog (Regions/)

I've been doing tabs tonight. I command-click on a dozen threads and leave them open while working (getting the house ready for kids coming home and holidays). Periodically I stop by and write an answer. By that time I've forgotten pertinent details in the original post, so I may answer the question, but not the RIGHT question.

Just 'splainin'

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
wurliuchi

Post by wurliuchi »

Shooshie wrote:By the way, privately Frodo reminded me that we're talking about automation, not just fixed levels, so the W method has to be combined with something like switching all the automation modes to Trim Latch, then lowering them all by the desired amount and letting it run to the end. Of course, it's even easier if you just select everything, then lower the automation (Audio CC#7) through the Change Continuous Data dialog (Regions/)

I've been doing tabs tonight. I command-click on a dozen threads and leave them open while working (getting the house ready for kids coming home and holidays). Periodically I stop by and write an answer. By that time I've forgotten pertinent details in the original post, so I may answer the question, but not the RIGHT question.

Just 'splainin'

Shoosh
The first question was about lowering all tracks that had existing automation by the same amount, and Change Continuous Data worked for the OP. Then he had a subsequent question about lowering all tracks that didn't have automation, so we're on point.

By the way, tell me, please. When you're holding down the "W" key and trying to change the automation mode does the menu jump around on you?
wurliuchi

Post by wurliuchi »

wurliuchi wrote:By the way, tell me, please. When you're holding down the "W" key and trying to change the automation mode does the menu jump around on you?
Never mind. It was impossible to highlight some of the choices so it had me worried, but it doesn't matter that it jumps around. Whatever I put the cursor over, no matter if it highlights or not, that's what is selected.