Adjusting Headroom - How to move all volume input at once?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Adjusting Headroom - How to move all volume input at once?

Post by David Polich »

Pulling down the master fader is probably the simplest and quickest
way to fix the situation.

As long as your individual tracks aren't clipping, pulling the master fader
down will work.

That said, there is no shame in sometimes admitting that the mix has
simply gotten away from you, and you need to start over... :oops:
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Wouldn't reducing the bite gain on the tracks work? Not the way I generally do things, but it seems that it might be another alternative.
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

wurliuchi wrote:By the way, tell me, please. When you're holding down the "W" key and trying to change the automation mode does the menu jump around on you?
I just did that a few days ago, and I don't recall any jumping in the menu. But I've been getting some strange OSX hangups in which the keyboard quits working, but the mouse still works normally. Some things still recognize the keyboard, so I keep trying to find the one that will let it jump back into operation. Then all sorts of strange things start happening. One of them included a ghost of my Waves Linear Phase Multi-Band plugin jumping around like a kangaroo, then flashing on and off like a neon sign gone crazy. I thought for sure that DP would crash, then, but it didn't. Further, something finally triggered the keyboard back into operation -- I think it may have been the new version of QuicKeys, when I quit it. So that may be where the problem is coming from. (curses!) Anyway, that's the only strange behavior I've had. No jumping menus, not even in the automation settings.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

David Polich wrote:That said, there is no shame in sometimes admitting that the mix has
simply gotten away from you, and you need to start over... :oops:

The Undo History is a great place to go for that. Usually I can remember the point where I started losing control, so taking Undo History back to that point gives me a new start without losing everything that I'd done up to that point.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

There's also bite volume. Not elegant, but another option.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Anyone hear an echo in here? :lol:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Wouldn't reducing the bite gain on the tracks work? Not the way I generally do things, but it seems that it might be another alternative.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dan Walsh

Post by Dan Walsh »

Shooshie wrote:
The Undo History is a great place to go for that. Usually I can remember the point where I started losing control, so taking Undo History back to that point gives me a new start without losing everything that I'd done up to that point.
Would the mix mode feature also work in that situation? I've been usin' it alot lately and am really diggin' it
iMac 3.06 i3|OSX 10.6.8|8 gig ram||DP 7.24|Motu 896HD|2 Avalon VT 737's|Presonus ADL600|Slate VCC|Superior Drummer 2|EZ Drummer|1.1.6|Kontakt Player 4.1|Steven Slate Drums EX|SampleTank 2 XTAntares ATR-1|Presonus Central Station|Neumann TLM 103|Rode NT1|Audio Technica AT 4033 X2| Rode NT-5's|and lot's of other junk
wurliuchi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by wurliuchi »

Bite Gain and Bite Volume would affect any plugs inserted on the tracks and it sounds like the OP had a mix pretty well in hand except for wanting to lower the overall levels.
DP 6.03 • MacPro 2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon • 9 GB RAM • 10.5.7 • Prayers
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Anyone hear an echo in here? :lol:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Wouldn't reducing the bite gain on the tracks work? Not the way I generally do things, but it seems that it might be another alternative.
I was adding to your suggestion (not echoing it). Bite Volume vs. Gain as it's an easy option in Create Continuous Data.
wurliuchi wrote:Bite Gain and Bite Volume would affect any plugs inserted on the tracks and it sounds like the OP had a mix pretty well in hand except for wanting to lower the overall levels.
True. I hadn't thought of that when I suggested it.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

[/quote]

This was what I was going to suggest, if they're mixing at 24 bits or 32 bits fp. It's still hard for me to take this in, but Magic Dave has said repeatedly that it doesn't matter if the tracks clip internally at those resolutions, because the meters are set for standard audio calibration, whereas the higher bit resolutions have enough headroom that there's little chance of clipping internally.

No... wait... (letting you follow my train of thought rather than going back and erasing) It doesn't matter what resolution you've set your mix at. DP processes everything at 32 bits internally, which means that to clip any audio channel before it goes analog would mean having to pump something like 1500 dB in there. I forget the number, but it's sufficient to make you think "I could NEVER clip that."
Shoosh[/quote]

Shoosh I found this tread to be very insightful regarding ITB mixes. I picked up a lot of very good info from it. Possibly others will to.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much- ... mixes.html
Last edited by csiaudio on Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
sprout

Post by sprout »

I use DP7 primarily, but spent the last year in school where the DAW of instruction was Cubase, and it got me thinking...

Cubase has a trim knob on every channel in the mixer, so it's easy to group all channels, turn down the trim, then un-group the channels, leaving all relative fader positions and automation untouched.

Is there a clever way to accomplish the same thing with DP's trim plug-in? can insert plug-in settings be grouped in any way?
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 0SX10.6.8
UltraLite, DP7.24, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reason 4, Komplete 5, UC-33e, Oxygen49, Motif 6.
dix

Post by dix »

sprout wrote:Cubase has a trim knob on every channel in the mixer, so it's easy to group all channels, turn down the trim, then un-group the channels, leaving all relative fader positions and automation untouched.

Is there a clever way to accomplish the same thing with DP's trim plug-in? can insert plug-in settings be grouped in any way?
No. You could assign the group to an Aux, but that's not so clever. Anyway, the problem is often that the faders are at the top. An elegant way to bring all faders - both with and without automation - down evenly would be very useful.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dix

Post by dix »

Another problem with the solutions available for bringing all-faders-down is that they all include the MIDI faders (if there's a way to automatically exclude MIDI faders i don't know what it is). I've never found the throws of various VIs MIDI volume changes to be even or consistent. I often don't even touch the MIDI faders in the course of a mix so an all-faders-down move produces unexpected results when VIs that had not yet received a volume change suddenly get turned down (from 127, where the MIDI faders rest in default). Plus, when pulling ALL the faders down you end up pulling the Instrument fader AND the MIDI fader. I'd rather exclude MIDI faders when I execute an all-faders-down move.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
wurliuchi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by wurliuchi »

dix wrote:Another problem with the solutions available for bringing all-faders-down is that they all include the MIDI faders (if there's a way to automatically exclude MIDI faders i don't know what it is). I've never found the throws of various VIs MIDI volume changes to be even or consistent. I often don't even touch the MIDI faders in the course of a mix so an all-faders-down move produces unexpected results when VIs that had not yet received a volume change suddenly get turned down (from 127, where the MIDI faders rest in default). Plus, when pulling ALL the faders down you end up pulling the Instrument fader AND the MIDI fader. I'd rather exclude MIDI faders when I execute an all-faders-down move.
If you use a Group you just don't include any of the the MIDI faders in the group. If you use the "W" key in the mixing board, you need to first remove the MIDI tracks from the Mixing board by deselecting them in the Track Selector. You can save different Board Layouts for this.

I agree with you that there needs to be a more eloquent and easier way of doing this.
DP 6.03 • MacPro 2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon • 9 GB RAM • 10.5.7 • Prayers
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

wurliuchi wrote:I agree with you that there needs to be a more eloquent and easier way of doing this.

There COULD be more eloquent ways (maybe), but there need not be. What we've got works just fine. Set up a group, and it works. Select the audio tracks and use T instead of W. Put the MIDI tracks in a folder, and close the folder. I keep MIDI in a folder and Audio in a folder, with Auxes in yet another. It's so darned easy I can't even imagine something simpler unless computers start using ESP to read your mind before you even know what you want to do.

Shoosh