fine tune audio i/o

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
OldTimey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

fine tune audio i/o

Post by OldTimey »

in dp 5.13

does the Settings/Fine Tune Audio I/O dialog box really have ANY effect? I set different values in the box, and notice no change in the timing of my audio recording. Even ridiculous values like -10,000 samples (1/4 sec @ 44.1Khz) does NOTHING.

I've been recording handclaps for an hour, and can't for the life of me seem to get a take that lines up with my drums. I'm always lagging. Even when I try and anticipate the beat somewhat. What I hear through my monitors is NOT what gets recorded to disk. I always have to "nudge" my recordings so that they are in time.

DP makes me feel like i am a terrible musician!!! I know i can nail quarter note hand claps at 108bpm. I KNOW IT!
why would i want to skin a cat?
OldTimey

Re: fine tune audio i/o

Post by OldTimey »

PS it seems like the "search" function here doesn't really work. A search for "fine tune audio" all in quotes returns all threads with fine, tune, and audio....not really helpful.
Dan Walsh

Post by Dan Walsh »

Not sure whats happening, but is DP set at direct hardware play through as opposed to monitor thru effects?
iMac 3.06 i3|OSX 10.6.8|8 gig ram||DP 7.24|Motu 896HD|2 Avalon VT 737's|Presonus ADL600|Slate VCC|Superior Drummer 2|EZ Drummer|1.1.6|Kontakt Player 4.1|Steven Slate Drums EX|SampleTank 2 XTAntares ATR-1|Presonus Central Station|Neumann TLM 103|Rode NT1|Audio Technica AT 4033 X2| Rode NT-5's|and lot's of other junk
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

direct hardware play thru.

I dunno. It just seems like the dialog box does nothing. Kind of disconcerting. If I set it to 44000 samples, everything should be off by about a second, right? well it doesn't seem to work. Does it work for anyone else? or is just another one of DP's 'features' that doesn't work the way you'd expect...or that you question it's existence. (Having the "Dither" option in the Audio menu is one such thing...WHY would I ever NOT want to have Dither on?)
wurliuchi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by wurliuchi »

Man, I don't know. I've never used it and I've never had a reason to use it. I do a lot of funk here with some great players and if there was a problem I or they would have noticed it. The bass player is one of the fastest bass players in the world and I've never had to move a note in an overdub. I don't know how a hand clap could cause so much trouble. Not blaming you, just thinking maybe it's something else.
DP 6.03 • MacPro 2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon • 9 GB RAM • 10.5.7 • Prayers
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

Do you process your cans?
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

There's nothing in the manual on this as far as I can tell, but it's mentioned in the Getting Started book. I've played with this myself and found the the settings don't seem to change anything. It's also interesting that DP no longer ships with the calibration files. Dunno. This one's always been a mystery to me.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

Phil O wrote:There's nothing in the manual on this as far as I can tell, but it's mentioned in the Getting Started book. I've played with this myself and found the the settings don't seem to change anything. It's also interesting that DP no longer ships with the calibration files. Dunno. This one's always been a mystery to me.

Phil
With ADC do you need it? Plus, there will be some delay due to buffer settings but as I stated before, any processing your hearing in the cans can effect how tightly you react to what you hear too... I monitor dry in the cans (w/o reverb) because it throws things off.
Last edited by newrigel on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

I've had weird timing problems every once in awhile that I've fixed simply by restarting DP, or rebooting the Mac. Not sure why it happens, but the interface (828mk3) seems to get out of sync or something. Might be worth a try if you haven't already done it. Good luck.
DP 8.06, OS X 10.8.3, 8 core 2.8gHz MacPro, 14 GB ram, 32 Lives and JBridge, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, 828mk3, Apogee AD-16X, Trak2 and Rosetta, Eleven Rack, EWQL Gold Pro, Colossus, Goliath, Ethno World 4, StormDrum2, Komplete 8, LASS, MX4, Soundtoys Bundle, Stillwell plugs, Ozone 5, Slate Bundle, Trash, Waves C6, H-EQ, Autotune, Abbey Road plugs, Pro Tools 10, Logic 9, Reason 6.5, Final Cut Pro, lots of mic pre's, mics, instruments....
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I haven't fiddled with it since fine-tuning my G5 Quad under DP4.5x when it was new, but I assure you, it at least used to work.

By zooming in the Sequence Editor and recording, you can visually confirm whether changes are taking place. You can also check your overall audio I/O timing by simply looping a pre-recorded track (transient in nature) out of your interface and back into an input, re-recording, and then comparing the soundbites to be sure they are lined up perfectly.
waxman

Post by waxman »

I just spoke with the tech at MOTU on Friday about the fine tune i/o... he said that DP7 is really close and it's just about getting the MIDI to line up with audio...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

Yea I do remember messing with it in DP4 and it working. In 5, nothing.

I suspect there might be something going on with my monitoring system when I work at 88.2. Perhaps my 828mkii just isn't up to the task. I find that sometimes I have to shift vocal takes so that they line up right. If it was a performance issue it'd just be a few beats here and there that don't line up right, in this case it's entire takes.

Funny though, I restarted DP, and the hand claps got tighter. I'm not sure what it is. Well im about to upgrade to DP7, so I'll see how it goes there.

thanks peeps. long time no see (been gigging a lot, not much DP stuff)