guitar amp simulator software for use with DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Kubi

Re: guitar amp simulator software for use with DP

Post by Kubi »

James Steele wrote:
Kubi wrote:You need to set the Input Monitoring Mode to "Monitor record-enabled tracks thru effects" (under Setup > Configure Audio System > Input Monitoring Mode).

As opposed to Direct Hardware Playthrough, you will incur processing delays (buffer plus plug-in's own), so you'll want to have the buffer set to 512 or 256 while tracking (though I've gotten quite good at tracking guitar even at high buffers - I guess I'm ready for arena shows!)
:D
Yipes... I think this is why I sort of gave up on using guitar plug-ins because of the lag. I'm on a dual G5 and to lower my buffer down to something sort of playable it taxes my system. But even a little latency when playing guitar bugs the hell out of me. :(
I know what you mean, I can't track bass unless i use Direct Hardware Playthrough. Well, since you're Mr. Marshal, :D you can always monitor the real thing while tracking the direct feed straight into DP without listening to it at all. You can of course mic your cab while you're at it, but since you have the direct signal on disc you could use simulators to fatten the original amp sound, or even replace it altogether should you feel so inclined... I'm sure you've already done that many times...

Another neat trick when not micing a real amp and using Direct Hardware Playthrough is to monitor direct (just the dry out from the DI), but to also set up an amp washed-out in a good-sized reverb on an aux in parallel to the audio track. Feed the aux from the same input as the direct guitar track, and you'll hear both the direct dry signal without any delay, as well as the amp in the reverb with some delay. The dry signal will feel tight and give you the real timing of your playing, but the amp in the reverb will give you enough tone to make it feel less stark and more like the end result. If you get the balance between the two right, it's almost as good as playing straight thru the simulator, sans the delay.

I do the same thing with vocals (using only reverb on the aux of course) or acoustic instruments. This way you can use Direct Hardware Playthrough while having a more musical experience tracking.
zed
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by zed »

James Steele wrote:Yipes... I think this is why I sort of gave up on using guitar plug-ins because of the lag. I'm on a dual G5 and to lower my buffer down to something sort of playable it taxes my system. But even a little latency when playing guitar bugs the hell out of me. :(
When you upgrade to an Intel there will be no lag. It is absolutely not a problem anymore. I have some issues, but no lags, and so far no need to raise or lower my buffer setting in all the months since I got this MacPro. I leave it at 512.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

zed wrote: When you upgrade to an Intel there will be no lag. It is absolutely not a problem anymore. I have some issues, but no lags, and so far no need to raise or lower my buffer setting in all the months since I got this MacPro. I leave it at 512.
So what you're saying here is that a 512 buffer on an Intel box does not translate to a 512 buffer on a PPC as far a latency is concerned? I'm not so sure I get that. There must be something else at work here - 512 samples @ whatever the sample rate should be the same on either. Maybe I'm stuck in some kind of real-time mode thinking that doesn't apply anymore with prerendering, look ahead, etc. I'm curious about this.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
zed

Post by zed »

NazRat wrote:
zed wrote: When you upgrade to an Intel there will be no lag. It is absolutely not a problem anymore. I have some issues, but no lags, and so far no need to raise or lower my buffer setting in all the months since I got this MacPro. I leave it at 512.
So what you're saying here is that a 512 buffer on an Intel box does not translate to a 512 buffer on a PPC as far a latency is concerned? I'm not so sure I get that. There must be something else at work here - 512 samples @ whatever the sample rate should be the same on either. Maybe I'm stuck in some kind of real-time mode thinking that doesn't apply anymore with prerendering, look ahead, etc. I'm curious about this.
Well I guess I'm not necessarily saying that. I think that in and of themselves they are the same. What I am saying, however, is that at 512 (or if you choose to go lower) you have plenty of system resources to handle all the processing that goes on at lower buffer settings. On a PPC at 512 on a big project will likely have you running into the red, whereas on a faster Intel Mac you can comfortably use a lower buffer setting without maxing things out on your system. Lower buffer setting = less lag.

And the jump from DP5 to DP6 at least doubled the efficiency of working with buffer settings (i.e. 1024 in DP6 feels like what 512 was in DP5). I haven't noticed a difference between DP6 and DP7 in this regards.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

OK - thanks. The 'no lags' in your previous post threw me.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
dustcoversmyheels

Post by dustcoversmyheels »

James Steele wrote:
Yipes... I think this is why I sort of gave up on using guitar plug-ins because of the lag. I'm on a dual G5 and to lower my buffer down to something sort of playable it taxes my system. But even a little latency when playing guitar bugs the hell out of me. :(

Especially when you're trying to do a speedy solo with really quick licks! :)
macbook 2.2GHz with 1 GB RAM running osx 10.5.8, mac pro 2 x 2.66 GHz dual-Core Intel Xeon with 2 gigs of ram running osx 10.4.11, DP 7.01, Motu 896 (1st generation), API A2D, Isochrone OCX, UAD
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hehe... "trying" is the operative word. Thank goodness I can sing too. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

NazRat wrote:
512 buffer on an Intel box requires much less time than the same buffer on a PPC. We're talking about CPU power -- the power to render 512 samples of audio in one "batch", then another, then another, and so on. A fast computer can render those samples almost instantly. A slow computer naturally has to divide its time a little more carefully, and it takes longer for it to process 512 samples.

Of course, playing back 512 samples should require exactly the same amount of time on either machine, but rendering them so that they are ready for playback is a whole different story, and CPU speed definitely affects the amount of time needed for that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
donreynolds

Post by donreynolds »

I set mine at 64 or 128 when I use x-gear. No lag, powerful sound. Combinations are endless for blending sounds. I have been playing mine through a 4x12 cab and it Rocks.
They say to turn the cab simulator off, but I leave mine on with great results.
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
eriknorlander

Post by eriknorlander »

eriknorlander wrote:You may guffaw all you like, but I am a fan of the Line 6 Pod Farm.
Yikes, I have to qualify my previous post now. I was using Pod Farm 1.11 in DP 5.13 (and PT 8 HD) and it worked well. In DP 7.02 ... to which I recently upgraded ... not as well. There appears to be a bug where when you want to turn any of the knobs, the values jump all over the place. Presets load and render fine, but adjusting anything by dragging the mouse wreaks havoc. There seems to be a workaround if you have a mouse with a wheel; click on the knob, then use the wheel to adjust the value. That works for me, although of course it's not elegant. I understand from Line 6 that they are aware of this problem, and that it seems to be unique to DP. I think a new Pod Farm rev is coming soon. I hope so, because it sounds really good.

Cheers,
Erik
G5 Quad 2.5GHz, 6 GB RAM, OS 10.5.8, DP 7.02, UAD-2 Quad, all IK Multimedia and Sonic Reality synths and plug-ins, DrumTracker, ApTrigga, NI Komplete 5 and 6, ImpOSCar, TimewARP 2600, Waves Gold, Nomad Integral, 2X 828mk3, UltraLite mk3, 3X micro express. 1967 modular Moog synthesizer, Minimoog model Ds, Voyager, other Moog things, Alesis A6, lots of other hardware synths. Hammond organ and Leslie, Kawai grand piano. Mics and guitars. Braun 3071 coffee maker.
http://www.eriknorlander.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KEVORKIAN

Post by KEVORKIAN »

eriknorlander wrote:
eriknorlander wrote:You may guffaw all you like, but I am a fan of the Line 6 Pod Farm.
Yikes, I have to qualify my previous post now. I was using Pod Farm 1.11 in DP 5.13 (and PT 8 HD) and it worked well. In DP 7.02 ... to which I recently upgraded ... not as well. There appears to be a bug where when you want to turn any of the knobs, the values jump all over the place. Presets load and render fine, but adjusting anything by dragging the mouse wreaks havoc. There seems to be a workaround if you have a mouse with a wheel; click on the knob, then use the wheel to adjust the value. That works for me, although of course it's not elegant. I understand from Line 6 that they are aware of this problem, and that it seems to be unique to DP. I think a new Pod Farm rev is coming soon. I hope so, because it sounds really good.

Cheers,
Erik
Yup... unfortunately this bug has been around for awhile now. Hopefully they (Line6) get around to fixing it soon.
dp7.2 || os 10.6.7 || 2x2.8 (eight core) intel mac pro, 16gb ram || metric halo uln-8 || motu traveler || euphonix mc control || waves mercury || abbey road bundle || mh channelstrip || toontrack sd 2.0, ez drummer, drumtracker || addictive drums || drumcore 3 || ni komplete 5 || reason || bidule || altiverb 6 || omnisphere, stylus RMX || melodyne 3.2 || stillwell || soundtoys || nomad factory|| psp || mpressor || dsm ||