guitar amp simulator software for use with DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dustcoversmyheels
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

guitar amp simulator software for use with DP

Post by dustcoversmyheels »

i want a good guitar amplifier simulator for recording ideas on my laptop when i'm on the go. i am intent on having usable software over hardware to minimize setup.

i'm mainly going to need a modern high gain guitar tone. comparable to something like a modern marshall or mesa cranked way up.

any recommendations?
macbook 2.2GHz with 1 GB RAM running osx 10.5.8, mac pro 2 x 2.66 GHz dual-Core Intel Xeon with 2 gigs of ram running osx 10.4.11, DP 7.01, Motu 896 (1st generation), API A2D, Isochrone OCX, UAD
kassonica

Re: guitar amp simulator software for use with DP

Post by kassonica »

Um have you tried the one in DP7???

Ps I haven't really tried it out yet but you can download a whole bunch of clipping presets from the motu site and wee if it works for you.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
dustcoversmyheels

i have. to be honest, i was very disappointed with it. the main reason i upgraded to DP7 was for the guitar simulation, but i find it fairly unusable for what i'm trying to do. it works ok with clean guitar tone, or moderate gain. but for higher gain hard rock/metal tones, its extremely noisy and thin sounding. :roll:
macbook 2.2GHz with 1 GB RAM running osx 10.5.8, mac pro 2 x 2.66 GHz dual-Core Intel Xeon with 2 gigs of ram running osx 10.4.11, DP 7.01, Motu 896 (1st generation), API A2D, Isochrone OCX, UAD
eriknorlander

Post by eriknorlander »

You may guffaw all you like, but I am a fan of the Line 6 Pod Farm. I love the super ultra high gain Mesa Rectifier type stuff, and they do it really well. IK Amplitube 2 is also good. I use both. I haven't installed DP7 yet, so I can't speak to the new built-in processors. But the above mentioned plug-ins compare WELL to the real deal, IMHO.

Cheers,
Erik
G5 Quad 2.5GHz, 6 GB RAM, OS 10.5.8, DP 7.02, UAD-2 Quad, all IK Multimedia and Sonic Reality synths and plug-ins, DrumTracker, ApTrigga, NI Komplete 5 and 6, ImpOSCar, TimewARP 2600, Waves Gold, Nomad Integral, 2X 828mk3, UltraLite mk3, 3X micro express. 1967 modular Moog synthesizer, Minimoog model Ds, Voyager, other Moog things, Alesis A6, lots of other hardware synths. Hammond organ and Leslie, Kawai grand piano. Mics and guitars. Braun 3071 coffee maker.
http://www.eriknorlander.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

+1 on the Pod Farm.

So far it is a bit shaky in DP7/SL.

I really like the sounds and I play through all kinds of real amps in my day job.
Much of the PF stuff can work on things other than guitar with nice results.
All is well
eriknorlander

Post by eriknorlander »

waterstrum wrote:+1 on the Pod Farm.

So far it is a bit shaky in DP7/SL.

I really like the sounds and I play through all kinds of real amps in my day job.
Pod Farm sounds like you've taken the real amp into a nice room, miked it up with nice mics through nice pres, moved the mics around, EQ'd them, added some compression (yes, as in a little bit of limited dynamic range, but in a good way) and a bit of console EQ. I say that like I've been there doing that with the actual amps ... okay, I guess I have! :wink:

As far as it being a bit shaky in DP7/SL, I find it to be a bit shaky in DP 5.13/Leopard, too. IMO, too much emphasis on the neato graphics and not enough on the day-to-day functionality part. Line 6 is pretty active on rev-ing this product, though, so here's to the next version. More steak, less sizzle! :)

Cheers,
Erik
G5 Quad 2.5GHz, 6 GB RAM, OS 10.5.8, DP 7.02, UAD-2 Quad, all IK Multimedia and Sonic Reality synths and plug-ins, DrumTracker, ApTrigga, NI Komplete 5 and 6, ImpOSCar, TimewARP 2600, Waves Gold, Nomad Integral, 2X 828mk3, UltraLite mk3, 3X micro express. 1967 modular Moog synthesizer, Minimoog model Ds, Voyager, other Moog things, Alesis A6, lots of other hardware synths. Hammond organ and Leslie, Kawai grand piano. Mics and guitars. Braun 3071 coffee maker.
http://www.eriknorlander.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zed

Post by zed »

IK Multimedia has a special offer that is good until the end of December. You can now get 4 of their Amplitube guitar plugins for the price of 1 (or their StealthPedal plus 3 plugins).

Just click on the link for "Power Group Promotion Hits 3500 Registrations!" at the top of the http://www.ikmultimedia.com
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

dustcoversmyheels wrote:i have. to be honest, i was very disappointed with it. the main reason i upgraded to DP7 was for the guitar simulation, but i find it fairly unusable for what i'm trying to do. it works ok with clean guitar tone, or moderate gain. but for higher gain hard rock/metal tones, its extremely noisy and thin sounding. :roll:
Fair enough but did you DL the clippings?
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

+1 on Pod Farm, but even though you're not interested in any hardware, I'd recommend the UX1 recording interface. I have a Tone Port DI, which preceeded the UX1, and really like the no latency monitoring. Monitoring through plugs will introduce latency of some sort, but if you can dial down the buffer low enough that you're comfortable, then no prob - you don't need the hardware.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

zed wrote:IK Multimedia has a special offer that is good until the end of December. You can now get 4 of their Amplitube guitar plugins for the price of 1 (or their StealthPedal plus 3 plugins).

Just click on the link for "Power Group Promotion Hits 3500 Registrations!" at the top of the http://www.ikmultimedia.com
Thanks, Zed!

I hadn't realized that there was yet another free plug to be had since the promotion was still going strong. Perfect, a free Amplitube Jimi Hendrix for my birthday!!

I have really been enjoying Amplitube 2 and Amplitube Fender (also picked up Ampeg SVX in the initial buy but haven't used it much yet), certainly a wealth of possibilities in those two alone, but was curious about all the X-gear presets that wanted to use something from the Jimi collection. Now I'll find out what they're about.

Highly recommended.

Thanks again for the present,

Tobor
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
dustcoversmyheels

kassonica wrote:
dustcoversmyheels wrote:i have. to be honest, i was very disappointed with it. the main reason i upgraded to DP7 was for the guitar simulation, but i find it fairly unusable for what i'm trying to do. it works ok with clean guitar tone, or moderate gain. but for higher gain hard rock/metal tones, its extremely noisy and thin sounding. :roll:
Fair enough but did you DL the clippings?

yes i did use the presets. i downloaded them all. i like the clean and low gain presets. especially the bluesy settings...but the high gain settings just don't impress me at all.

the room simulation i like a lot. i think i'll be using that plug in for a lot of things.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

The best high gain amp emulations I've encountered are in Amplitube
Metal. There are some great "metal" type tones in Amplitube Fender as
well. I have Softube's "Metal Amp Room", and while it does a high-gain
amp fairly well, it is basically limited to one tone.

I haven't had a chance to run NI's Guitar Rig 4 through its paces,
there are reports that it is a significant improvement in sound
quality over Guitar Rig 3. And there are certainly a good number
of metal and hard rock presets in GR4.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dustcoversmyheels wrote:i want a good guitar amplifier simulator for recording ideas on my laptop when i'm on the go. i am intent on having usable software over hardware to minimize setup.

i'm mainly going to need a modern high gain guitar tone. comparable to something like a modern marshall or mesa cranked way up.

any recommendations?
I'd discourage usng a plug-in. I have a small portable system that includes a POD, but I'm eyeing something like a pocket pod. I also have a small MIDI keyboard that includes a built-in audio interface with line in and XLR mic input with pre.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
donreynolds

Post by donreynolds »

x-gear rocks on DP 7. They just came out with a bug fix that corrects problem where Amplitube plugin did not follow the host clock rate if it was different from 44.1Khz. The stand alone did not have this problem.

I have been testing the software with the Stomp I/O and it smokes.

To take it to another level, I have been using the plugin with DP & and using LAconvolver to place IR cabinet samples after it. I have been blending the Amplitube cab emulator sounds with the IR sounds it it is amazing.

sorry guys, but It definitely compares with real equipment that I am sure it would be very hard to distinguish in a mix. I have played electric guitar about 30+ years and have used all kinds of cabinet and amps. If you are a purist, cool! Stay with the amps. If not, this is the new way to go. I am telling you, this is the future for recording.
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

donreynolds wrote:If you are a purist, cool! Stay with the amps. If not, this is the new way to go. I am telling you, this is the future for recording.
Thank you, I will! Hehehe

JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!