What do you do on "off"days?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
banta24
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

What do you do on "off"days?

Post by banta24 »

Hi guys,

The studio that I'm currently working at has been an "evening and weekend" business for the owner, as he works a day job. My goal is to fill the daytime hours with new business.

Although I try and get as many things as possible booked, I'm sure you've all dealt with those days where there's nothing on the schedule or a client cancels a session.

I'm wondering what you typically do on those types of days. Do you practice recording techniques, hunt for new clients, etc. etc.?

Early on in the process of building a business it can be really disheartening to have a few days that have nothing going on. I try and fill up the time, but I'm looking for ways to keep morale up when these speedbumps happen.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!
Phil O

Re: What do you do on "off"days?

Post by Phil O »

Running a business has so much "stuff" that has to be done, that I often look forward to the off times to catch up on paper work, software installs, maintenance, cleaning, back ups, etc. There's never free time around here! Except of course for the few minutes a day I devote to posting here! :D

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'd post an answer but it would surely get deleted... in short; have fun!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

These days I work on my "new" 1939 hammond BC whenever I have time. (Like now) :)
As Phil, I take this time to work on the gear and stuff like that.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

When I have downtime, normally I use it to delve deeper into my software - learn new key commands, listen to all those presets in my VIs, read up on technique stuff, etc. As a songwriter, it's also a good time to actually write some songs :) .
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

When there are no paying clients to be found, bring in a promising local act and do some pro bono work (with an agreement to get paid on the back end if anything develops from the project.) Keeps your gear and employees working and learning, builds the goodwill within your community (the best advertising), helps bands that could become paying clients get off the ground... Hey, maybe that promising local act is you or your band!