Win 7 + Bootcamp + 828 mk II

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
kazaamblam
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Win 7 + Bootcamp + 828 mk II

Post by kazaamblam »

So I have a macbook pro with snow leopard (as of yesterday) and a totally fresh install of Win 7, on bootcamp. Turns out the new firewire drivers won't run on Win 7 under bootcamp. in fact, it won't even complete the installation process! Which baffles me. Has anyone else had any similar problems with the installer, bootcamp, or windows 7? I got all this stuff exclusively to get the motu running so I can get my album finished, and this is driving me up the wall. I loved my motu, but especially since I rang Motu yesterday and their response was 'we don't support anything under bootcamp', I'm really starting to think of getting another brand. I know Bootcamp and windows have had their issues, but snow leopards bootcamp v3.0 seems to sort out apples internal driver issues for me... and I don;t see why it would stop a thrid party installer running...
Can anyone shed any light on why a windows installer acts differently under bootcamp than it normally would? Apple told me yesterday that they are hoping to have new bootcamp support out for win7 users by december/january (they have been gettin this stuff a lot)... But I have a lot of work to do before then...
Anyone have a workaround? And is this somehow all microsofts fault? As soon as I've finished this album I'm working strictly from Mac.
kazaamblam

Re: Win 7 + Bootcamp + 828 mk II

Post by kazaamblam »

Sorted:
It's a priveleges thing.

So, on the advice of another memeber here, I went into User control accounts or whatever and took it down to ZERO. Then when I ran the setup file, instead of double clicking I right clicked and selected 'run as administrator'

It seems that even though I am the only user on this computer, it didn;t necessarily recognise me as the admin. Either that, or when the 'are you sure you want to do what you know you want to do' window popped up, it was messing with the install.

Either way, it seems to have run this time.

I only hope this whole curve can help another creative/non techy/jerk like me get their interface running.

I hope it works better than the vista 64 bit drivers! Let's find out....
kazaamblam

Post by kazaamblam »

OK, so it's working, but the latency is limited to pretty much 1024ms, so that kind of sucks.
I thought re-installin the apple firewire drivers for windows might fix it up, but I can't find them anywhere. In fact I can't even find the specs for my mac's firewire, or who manufactures the card... All it says in the system profiler is

FireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec

So that doesn't really help. I've had a trawl through apples support site and there isn't an update for it for windows either, so I guess I'm stuck with Window's generic texas instuments driver.

If anyone has any idea who manufactures the macbook pro (i think 2008 model, it came with os x 10.5) firewire card, or where I could get windows drivers, that would be ace.

cheers
JFJ

Post by JFJ »

boot in the gong press command+s, when finish, type exit. let us now what you have.
robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 »

i must say motu and windows = bad bad combination. i used to have all sorts of probs with motu on my windows pc. got a macbook pro, and now hav no probs...but installed bootcamp out of curiousity. windows 7 works fine, but with the motu i still get the random dropouts and glitches i got on my old pc.

sad thing is, i think windows 7 is ace, and in many ways easier than osx. just shame that motu do not invest enought time in correcting their appauling drivers. if i could not have afforded this mac, i would def advise pc owners to sell their motu and get a soundcard that will actually work on their machine.