Windows 7 32/64 drivers released! Post your experiences.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Silver Fox
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Windows 7 32/64 drivers released! Post your experiences.

Post by Silver Fox »

:D http://www.motu.com/download/

So far ive been using the 'MOTU 64fw-3.6.8.1410' drivers which have been fine with Windows 7 64. Let us know how you've been getting on with the new versions!

Have to admit i had to do the usual incredibly drawn out un-install (reg edit/mfwa & motu search+delete) before they installed correctly, but so far, so good.
Dave22

Re: Windows 7 32/64 drivers released! Post your experiences.

Post by Dave22 »

They seems to be the Vista driver... nothing changed... my 828mkII usb randomly stop to play or recording! -__-
rnm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by rnm »

Installing the new drivers with windows 7 home premium 64 bit,I had to install with administrator privileges and the when I started my music apps (Cubase and Ableton) I got a horrible noise which only stopped when I shut down the application, Installed the older MOTU 64fw-3.6.8.1410' drivers and these seem to be working OK
Dell core 2 Quad, Q6600, 4gig ram, Win7 32 bit.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1 gig ram, XP Home, SP3,
NX-6110 laptop with XP Home SP3. , Terratec EWS 88 MT,MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804, EMU 12-12 m, Cubase studio 5.5.1, Ableton live 8.14.
emmrecs
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by emmrecs »

Installing the "new" drivers with Windows 7 Pro 32 bit, had exactly the same experience as rnm.

Problem seems to be with CueMix, noise is only present when it is open on screen, disappears as soon as it is closed.

Attempting to turn off the MOTU unit (8 pre) whilst CueMix still open on screen: immediate BSOD. Close CueMix and unit can be powered down without problem.

Also receive on-screen message which says the "full 1394 bandwidth" is not available, as per the famous MS "fix" in XP SP2.

Interestingly can use these same drivers in XP Pro 32 bit on same computer (have dual-boot) without problem.

May well try tomorrow with older drivers, as per rnm post.
jrwaltb

Post by jrwaltb »

You have to change the firewire driver to "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)"! It works perfect after this.
emmrecs

Post by emmrecs »

jrwaltb wrote:You have to change the firewire driver to "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)"! It works perfect after this.

How do we do this?
emmrecs

Post by emmrecs »

emmrecs wrote:
jrwaltb wrote:You have to change the firewire driver to "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)"! It works perfect after this.

How do we do this?

Well, courtesy of information from another forum I'll answer my own question:

Right click on the firewire host controller in Device Manager and choose Update driver Software.

Browse my computer for driver software

Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

Select 1390 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)

Next

And it works, no noise....!

There was just one (slightly) worrying part of the driver install; a pop-up saying that MOTU Driver Install was Not Responding. But everything seems to be installed correctly and, as I say, I can now use my 8-Pre in Win 7.

Jeff
kazaamblam

Post by kazaamblam »

Ok, so I finally got Win 7, and thought I'd be all good after the terrible experience that was the Vista 64 bit firewire drivers (for the 828 mkII)...
Installed Windows 7 clean, all good, then first thing installed the new Motu 64 bit drivers for Win 7, and it crashed halfway through install! LAME. A window popped up saying a required (un-named) program could not be found, and set up could not continue. so now I have half installed drivers that won't see the Motu. Great.
I remember the last drivers gave me a message that Shockwave needed to be installed, and that helped my installation. Would this be the issue? Does the installer itself require shockwave to run, and if so why doesn't it let you know at some point that you'll need Shockwave installed? In my experience you install windows, then install your most important drivers (video card, sound card etc) THEN install stuff like flash, shockwave etc.
When I get home tonight I'm going to format, reinstall Win 7, then install flash and shockwave and THEN the Motu drivers.

I really really hope that sorts it out. I'd really like to use my Motu now thanks.
mcoyles

Post by mcoyles »

MOTU drivers don't need any other software other than the BaseOS and mainboard & video drivers to be installed. Flash and Shockwave certainly have no impact on MOTU drivers.

I'm using a clean install of Win7 (32bit) and the latest MOTU drivers now, and haven't installed anything else on my system yet. Drivers went on without a hitch.
L8rs...
Marci
kazaamblam

Post by kazaamblam »

ok.. yeah you're right, I installed shockwave and that didn't help although on the lst install, it definatley came up with a window saying that shickwave was required for the install).

Here's the message:

Shot at 2009-11-09

It seems to think it needs some kind of software to install... I've been having problems getting the proper video drivers to install over windows generic drivers... could that have something to do with it?

So mysterious.
UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider »

kazaamblam wrote:ok.. yeah you're right, I installed shockwave and that didn't help although on the lst install, it definatley came up with a window saying that shickwave was required for the install).

Here's the message:
That message doesn't have anything to do with shockwave... it's trying to launch a local application called SetupFWInstaller64, and I bet "FW" equals "firmware." I have seen this kind of error when the temp folder is cluttered (download and run CCleaner to fix that if you don't know how to safely do it manually), or when you're running the installer with insufficient permissions. The new UAC in Win 7 can break some setups because it won't necessarily warn you when setup components fail...

I recommend disabling User Account Control (do it in the Users control panel. Bring the slider all the way down and then restart your computer).
kazaamblam

Post by kazaamblam »

Awesome, thanks, I'll try that.
I was just pretty disappointed just now when I rang Motu Support for the first time and their answer was "We don't support Boot Camp installations"...
Bummer.
kazaamblam

Post by kazaamblam »

UltimateOutsider wrote: I recommend disabling User Account Control (do it in the Users control panel. Bring the slider all the way down and then restart your computer).
THANKS ULTIMATE OUTSIDER

You are a legend. That did it. Also I right clicked and selected run as administrator, as I read in some other forum that win7 isn;t necessarily into the default user being admin. SO between that random advice and your awesome advice (I'm guessing it was yours), the installer ran fine and now I can use the Motu and finish the album.

THANK YOU!

Now lets find out if the driver is any better than the vista one!
UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider »

kazaamblam wrote:
UltimateOutsider wrote:Now lets find out if the driver is any better than the vista one!
I hope so. I haven't upgraded to the Win 7 driver yet, but I have gotten a couple of blue screens under Win 7 running the Vista drivers. Will probably upgrade this weekend. Glad it worked out for you!
nifo

Post by nifo »

emmrecs wrote:
emmrecs wrote:

How do we do this?

Well, courtesy of information from another forum I'll answer my own question:

Right click on the firewire host controller in Device Manager and choose Update driver Software.

Browse my computer for driver software

Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

Select 1390 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)

Next

And it works, no noise....!

There was just one (slightly) worrying part of the driver install; a pop-up saying that MOTU Driver Install was Not Responding. But everything seems to be installed correctly and, as I say, I can now use my 8-Pre in Win 7.

Jeff
Hi there,

I installed the new Windows 7 64bit drivers on a Dell XPS Laptop, and all of the problems that are mentioned I had.
When I playback a recording then at start I don't have any problems, but all of sudden the sound is gone , pops and a cracking sound is heard, and when I update the IEEE driver it's allright again. I don't have to close the recording software. It doesn't mather whether I choose the normal driver or the legacy driver. Also with the legacy driver I get the problem during playback.......

I dunno what to do, it's frustrating.

The IEEE 1394 is a RICOH OCHI, and I don't know if a firewire express card with TI chipset would be the solution.

Greetz,

Nico