AmpGUI DP Themes (now at AMPGUIMODS.NET)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: AmpGUI DP Themes (now at AMPGUIMODS.NET)

Post by sayatnova »

Also wanted to nudge this, just in case something might have changed.

This might be crazy, but what could be done to get MOTU to license Andy's themes? The majority of their themes are so amateurish and not really suited to actually working long hours at a screen. When you look at Andy's work, there is a calm and clarity that dominates everything and it feeds over into how I feel and interact with DP on a very deep basis. I am now updated to 9.13 and 9.51, and the shock I still feel when looking at their theme selections is huge. There is no comparison to the perfection of Mellow and Mellow Gold...

Andy, I hope you are well.

~Shea
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

I guess the question is whether MOTU wants to do the work of adding all the hi res retina resources to the themes. Apparently the job isn't trivial. Also, just speculating but given the complaints regarding font size and the size of the continuous controller info, etc. it's not inconceivable that MOTU might be planning to move away from bitmapped graphic resources to something more easily scalable.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
sayatnova

Post by sayatnova »

Exactly, James! And, why not have the guy who has made the best themes for your flagship product be in charge of that, or at least directly connected to that...

Just saying.

~Shea
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
labman

Post by labman »

sayatnova wrote:Exactly, James! And, why not have the guy who has made the best themes for your flagship product be in charge of that, or at least directly connected to that...

Just saying.

~Shea
I suggested this very thing several times over the years to MOTU. Will still hope. But certainly not holding my breath. ;)
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
toddbooster
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by toddbooster »

Call me crazy, and I might be, but I dimly suspect the look and feel of the AVB web GUI and mixer might be creeping its way into the next (or future) version of DP.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB, Windows 10 Pro, DP 10.13, MOTU Ultralite AVB.
labman

Post by labman »

Hey Andy et al. I have a question. Installed DP10 today. I am an elite ampgui user. Edited the AMPGUI themes to work in DP 10.0. The windows all seem to scale fine with Warmer but the mixer. As soon as I scale up, the mixer window moves away from the glorious "Warmer" profile you built, to a MOTU default grey. But the other windows are correct and stick with warmer Ideas? Help!!!
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

For anyone who wants to use your AmpGUI themes in DP 10, here's how you do it:

Go to the Themes panel of DP Preferences. At the bottom of the panel there's a button that says "go to Themes Folder" or something like that. I'd post a picture, but I still don't have an Internet host since Dropbox quit doing that a few years ago, so you'll just have to follow my text and do it as you go.

Once you're in the Themes folder, locate your AmpGUI themes, and begin this process for any that you want to use:
1) Select the Themes icon.
2) Hold down the CONTROL key and click for the contextual menu, then select "Show Package Contents."
3) Open "Contents" folder
4) Open Info.plist in TextEdit.
5) Look for this text at the bottom of the list:

Code: Select all

<key>ThemeMaxVersion</key>
	<string>9.9</string>
6) Change it to:

Code: Select all

<key>ThemeMaxVersion</key>
	<string>10.9</string>
7) Save, close, repeat on next theme until you've done the ones you want.
8 ) Reboot DP

Note that when you scale the GUI in DP 10, your theme will come apart at all its boundaries. Rather than stretch, you get gray space inserted. Controls become default themes, text gets obscured by lack of color contrast on the gray spaces. You may have to choose between AmpGUI and scalable GUI, unless Andy comes back and fixes these per MOTU specs.

The Ghost of Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

One more thing about AmpGUI and DP10:

The Shortcuts Window has a button for the new Clips Window. AmpGUI does not. It leaves a blank space. I thought maybe you could click in that space and open the Clips window without a button. Instead, DP crashed and disappeared faster than you could drop an anvil on your toe. Didn't hurt quite as bad, though, because I hadn't made any changes. The solution? Don't click there. You can go to DP Preferences/General/Shortcuts and de-select that button so that it doesn't show in the Shortcuts Window. I guess the next step would be to go to the Commands Window and see if it has a keyboard shortcut. If not, you can remedy that, so that you can open that window easily.

Shooshie (Virtually transparent, kinda wispy)
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Investigating the difficulty of modifying the AmpGUI themes to make them compliant with DP 10, I found that it's a matter of adding some scaled files. Mostly it involves doubling the size of a lot of the graphics so that there are small and large sizes at appropriate resolutions. The amount of work varies from theme to theme. The DP 10 Plasma theme is the record holder with 263 files to be concerned with. AmpGUI's Oxidized Theme has about 90, by comparison.

There's some extra discussion in the thread where I posted this.

Shooshie (hauntingly memorable)
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I have offered a few times now but I fear my moment for this has now passed - I am not upgrading at the moment to DP10 (I spent the money on a Faderport V2 and am sticking with Studio One) - I do have Mellow done and he can have that if he wants it but I won't be spending more time on Themes for the forseeable future.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Gary, I'd like to have a copy of that, if you are willing. I did purchase that one. I think I purchased all of them, actually.

Shooshie
labman

Post by labman »

We too purchased all from Andy. If permission can be had from him, we also would love to have your hi-res version of mellow Gary.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Sorry guys - it's Andy's scheme and should be redistributed by him if he wants. And he should check it over before releasing it in his name as I may have missed something.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
labman

Post by labman »

Guitar Gaz wrote:Sorry guys - it's Andy's scheme and should be redistributed by him if he wants. And he should check it over before releasing it in his name as I may have missed something.
superb point! ANDY???
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

James Steele wrote:I guess the question is whether MOTU wants to do the work of adding all the hi res retina resources to the themes. Apparently the job isn't trivial. Also, just speculating but given the complaints regarding font size and the size of the continuous controller info, etc. it's not inconceivable that MOTU might be planning to move away from bitmapped graphic resources to something more easily scalable.
I agree.. that may be why we didn't see a "Ten" theme with the release of DP10.

My dream would be to have the ability to easily modify the themes to some extent, especially colors.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.