AmpGUI DP Themes (now at AMPGUIMODS.NET)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
amplidood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: AmpGUI7 (always updating first post)

Post by amplidood »

Think I'm gonna call this Code Machine...

sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

Okay..
That's wicked
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Definitely... looks like it will be my new favorite! :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Code Machine 1.0....
KEVORKIAN

Post by KEVORKIAN »

I love the flat look. It reminds me of Ableton Live's design approach. Much easier on the eyes IMO.

Thanks!!!!
dp7.2 || os 10.6.7 || 2x2.8 (eight core) intel mac pro, 16gb ram || metric halo uln-8 || motu traveler || euphonix mc control || waves mercury || abbey road bundle || mh channelstrip || toontrack sd 2.0, ez drummer, drumtracker || addictive drums || drumcore 3 || ni komplete 5 || reason || bidule || altiverb 6 || omnisphere, stylus RMX || melodyne 3.2 || stillwell || soundtoys || nomad factory|| psp || mpressor || dsm ||
danworks

Post by danworks »

KEVORKIAN wrote:I love the flat look. It reminds me of Ableton Live's design approach. Much easier on the eyes IMO. Thanks!!!!
Isn't maybe a bit too much Ableton Live's design approach? :?
Simple version seems more "DP" to me … anyway, thanks to amplidood we've got more than one option :)
"Leave the gun, take the cannolis …"

#1- MacPro-12Cores 3.3Ghz /64gig RAM/MacOS 10.13.6/DP10/VEP6/PCI-424
#2- MacPro-12Cores 3.3Ghz/64gig RAM/MacOS 10.10.5/VEP6

UAD2 and lots of software and plugs

Solo project here and on iTunes
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

danworks wrote:
KEVORKIAN wrote:I love the flat look. It reminds me of Ableton Live's design approach. Much easier on the eyes IMO. Thanks!!!!
Simple version seems more "DP" to me … anyway, thanks to amplidood we've got more than one option :)
Without being influenced on the origins of the design, I think the 2D GUI is much easier on the eyes and less cluttered. I like it better. DP hasn't been very "DP" since version 5 so why not? :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
KEVORKIAN

Post by KEVORKIAN »

James Steele wrote:
danworks wrote:
Without being influenced on the origins of the design, I think the 2D GUI is much easier on the eyes and less cluttered. I like it better. DP hasn't been very "DP" since version 5 so why not? :)
A good idea is a good idea no matter where it comes from, right?

In any case... I'd bet that amplidood was just following his muse here.
dp7.2 || os 10.6.7 || 2x2.8 (eight core) intel mac pro, 16gb ram || metric halo uln-8 || motu traveler || euphonix mc control || waves mercury || abbey road bundle || mh channelstrip || toontrack sd 2.0, ez drummer, drumtracker || addictive drums || drumcore 3 || ni komplete 5 || reason || bidule || altiverb 6 || omnisphere, stylus RMX || melodyne 3.2 || stillwell || soundtoys || nomad factory|| psp || mpressor || dsm ||
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

For what it's worth, I prefer bevels and shadows. I really like the more 3-D effect, though I admit that it gets out of hand sometimes. The vintage control panel look (with screws and weathered panels everywhere) was great back when it started getting popular in the early 1990s, but I think that one has definitely run its course. DP 6.0 felt too flat when I first used it, but I soon realized that it was very much still in the 3-D ballpark. I like the look, generally.

Of course, I'm a big fan now of the GoldMod Complete. I use it almost exclusively now. It's inspired and inspiring.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
danworks

Post by danworks »

James Steele wrote:
danworks wrote:
Without being influenced on the origins of the design, I think the 2D GUI is much easier on the eyes and less cluttered. I like it better.
Glad you find your favorite GUI … I'm still in the balance :?
James Steele wrote:DP hasn't been very "DP" since version 5 so why not? :)
Really? Well, I always thought DP has always been DP since day one and stopped to be DP fm v 6.0. :) As far as I read on this list, many folks felt the same and frankly I don't remember any GUI complaint earlier than 2008. Plenty of grumbles and requests as usual, but never about graphic.

Checking out latest Simple version and see how it works on my eyes …

danworks

Post by danworks »

Shooshie wrote:For what it's worth, I prefer bevels and shadows. I really like the more 3-D effect, though I admit that it gets out of hand sometimes. The vintage control panel look (with screws and weathered panels everywhere) was great back when it started getting popular in the early 1990s, but I think that one has definitely run its course. DP 6.0 felt too flat when I first used it, but I soon realized that it was very much still in the 3-D ballpark. I like the look, generally.
There's a sort of strange graphical difficulty on DP whole design and how pieces of it are combined together, hard to understand. Feel like it has been made by two different group of graphic designer closed in two different rooms :)

The app itself went toward the 2D Ableton World, while the new plugins - reverb, room simulator, leveler, guitar amp-stomp etc - resemble the real world, almost like still pictures. Not a bad thing at all, but still there's some general "brand ID" lack imho.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

danworks wrote:
James Steele wrote:DP hasn't been very "DP" since version 5 so why not? :)
Really? Well, I always thought DP has always been DP since day one and stopped to be DP fm v 6.0. :)
That's what I was trying to say. I meant version 5 was the last version that "seemed like DP." From 6 on the GUI is so different, it didn't really matter. I actually liked the DP 6 GUI as you know with a few issues. I wouldn't want to go back to 5 personally.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

danworks wrote:There's a sort of strange graphical difficulty on DP whole design and how pieces of it are combined together, hard to understand. Feel like it has been made by two different group of graphic designer closed in two different rooms :)

The app itself went toward the 2D Ableton World, while the new plugins - reverb, room simulator, leveler, guitar amp-stomp etc - resemble the real world, almost like still pictures. Not a bad thing at all, but still there's some general "brand ID" lack imho.
Yeah, I've been noticing that about the plugins. Especially the guitar boxes, though there may be good reason for those to look like what they model. But maybe the era of all things looking like the same brand is over. That was the way of the original plugins up through the Masterworks Compressor/Limiter. Then the MW EQ started branching away from it, and the MW Leveler continued the new trend. It's kind of nice in the sense that you don't feel like all the plugins should be judged by the weakest one, which often happened in the old days. There are some very fine plugins still holding their own among the MOTU MAS plugs. The old EQs have a new display reminiscent of the MW EQ, but it's worth reassessing all of them. They really do a good job overall. Not to get us off topic here in the Dude's thread, but I just think the look is getting more interesting all the time, and with these great MODs, we have little reason to complain!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

danworks wrote: There's a sort of strange graphical difficulty on DP whole design and how pieces of it are combined together, hard to understand. Feel like it has been made by two different group of graphic designer closed in two different rooms :)

FWIW, I think that their Masterworks plugins are done by a Third party
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm pretty sure the MW stuff is in-house.