How to filmscore in Digital Performer

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to filmscore in Digital Performer

Post by FMiguelez »

adg21 wrote:He wasn't asking advice on how to compose like John Williams, he was asking if there were any video tutorials that would give him a kick-start / overview of scoring in DP...
...And no-one has answered that question:

Are there any video tutorials that can introduce me to the basics of film scoring in DP - anywhere similar to that Logic one, or any of the Protools ones - that will serve me as a sort of kickstart to scoring with DP? I am unfamiliar with this software and I find video tutorials useful for learning a new piece of software. The Logic tutorial example helped me quickly to learn the basics of scoring in Logic. If not then no worries.
Perhaps I was a little facetious...
But he started various threads about the topic and got good information. He got AT LEAST 2 great links too -and this only in the first few responses (I won't waste more time reading the whole thread again).
Anyway, if there were good DP Film Scoring video tutorials, I'm sure he would've found them by now with a simple Google/YouTube search.

Also, I don't think there are any VTs on the topic he wants out there because someone would've posted a link by now. We tend to be proud of DP and usually post links to sites where it's mentioned (or demoed or whatever). The good and the bad...

There are few quality DP VTs out there, unfortunately. And it's a pity, because I know video tutorials are a great getting-started educational tool. An essential way to familiarize yourself with the app quickly and efficiently. After the this stage, though, there's no replacement for just diving in the app and RTFM, especially for the "advanced" stuff.

Having said that, just yesterday morning I was watching video tutorials for this awesome GTD app called OmniFocus.. It made a HUGE difference watching someone demo the app (in detail). Actually, it made me want to BUY IT right after I finished the last video (I will right after the demo period expires). Even more than that! It made me feel this system (the "Method". and the App.) has the potential to actually change my life for the better. 8)

During my research for these kind of apps, I stumped into many that didn't have VTs. To tell you the truth, I didn't bother reading too deeply into their sites. I just figured if they didn't have VTs it would make it a steeper learning curve and, more importantly, I couldn't get a feel for the app before even deciding if I was interested in it, let alone buying it. The list of potential apps was large. So it was like: no VTs? - bye. Next?

So yes. VTs are a great modern tool for learning (and marketing, of course).

It would be great if someone actually took the time to produce one of these VTs for DP, but it would have to be someone with the time to do it just for the sake of sharing. Someone who is a teacher at heart.
OR, a MOTU employee (or they could even outsource it or whatever)...

So, based on my recent experience, I'll go as far as to even STRONGLY suggest to MOTU to invest in a totally professional set of video tutorials for DP (at all levels). They really make a HUGE dramatic impact on potential buyers. I am convinced it would make a dramatic increase in DP sales.
Reading about DP on a site, even with pretty animated pictures (like MOTU's), does not cut it anymore. Competition is brutal, and having (or not having) VTs for apps makes all the difference in the world. Especially for an app like DP, where you don't get a free trial-period.
I don't think they would be too expensive to produce, and the good results would totally out-weight the initial investment in the form of new customers!
:boohoo:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

There is a bottom line in all this: The o/p and subsequent posters never responded to the invitation(s) to ask their question(s). They just go off on the tangent of being angry and defensive about not finding online videos. So there is no wealth of online videos for DP? So effin what? Usually when one does not find a lot of something it means there is no demand for it. Thousands of people don't have the problem you guys do. Find your way, dudes. There is a lot of film scoring info on the following site - which you seem not to have found yet:

World's Best Site for all things DP - including film scoring!

Have you searched that site for the info you are looking for? Apparently not, you seem more inclined to continue to expand on this thread. The cliff is approaching...

One last time:

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO KNOW?

Look kids, the resource you are looking for is right here, yet you continue to ignore it. As a result I will drop participation in the topic, although I will lurk a bit longer for the comic entertainment.
Man #1: I'm so thirsty and there is no water here!

Man #2: There's a faucet 2 steps away from you!

Man #1: Yes, but I'm here and it's there. I don't want to walk to get it: I said there is no water HERE!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: One last time:
If all he wanted to know is if there were DP film scoring video tutorials out there, he got his answer LOOOONG ago:
NO. THERE DOESNT' SEEM TO BE ANY. PERIOD.

Should there be any? If someone is willing to take the time off their schedules and do them for free, then I guess yeah.
I know I don't have the time to do them myself, though.

If the OP is interested in discussing SPECIFIC DP/Film Scoring techniques, we can definitely do that here.
A lot of us here do this for a living, but we can not just write a novel about the subject. We can, however, answer specific questions or provide some guidance.
Hey, that's a start!
:deadhorse:
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

I suspect they don't know what they want to know in which case no one can help them but themselves or perhaps a teacher/mentor. I certainly won't lead anyone by the nose, eyes, or ears, however tempting the image may be otherwise.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

FMiguelez wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote: One last time:
If all he wanted to know is if there were DP film scoring video tutorials out there, he got his answer LOOOONG ago:

Should there be any? If someone is willing to take the time off their schedules and do them for free, then I guess yeah.
I know I don't have the time to do them myself, though.

If the OP is interested in discussing SPECIFIC DP/Film Scoring techniques, we can definitely do that here.
A lot of us here do this for a living, but we can not just write a novel about the subject. We can, however, answer specific questions or provide some guidance.
Hey, that's a start!
I think that is all the guy wanted - just some direction. But, there is quite a bit of stuff out there for the beginner. I know that Mike Patti had some great DP scoring videos on youtube. Several people have put stuff out there, you just have to search for it.

The folks here are most helpful if you are specific with your questions. I have been helped many times by you and others here. This forum is my top-resource for DP info. I learn a lot by reading other peoples problems and the multitude of solutions given.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
adg21
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by adg21 »

thanks @ audios
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:They just go off on the tangent of being angry and defensive about not finding online videos. So there is no wealth of online videos for DP? So effin what?

with all due respect, it is you who is being angry and defensive.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote: The cliff is approaching...

One last time:

You must be joking.
FMiguelez wrote:
No he didn't.
FMiguelez wrote: A lot of us here do this for a living, but we can not just write a novel about the subject.
I understand this but, once again, he wasn't asking you to do that.
FMiguelez wrote: Hey, that's a start!
Totally unnecessary
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:...however tempting the image may be otherwise.

Also completely unnecessary.

And it is this sort of hostility that has made it more difficult to engage in a straight forward conversation about video tutorials in DP, which is a shame.
Last edited by adg21 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIDI Life Crisis

Me thinks the lady protests too much...

I'm neither angry or hostile. If that's the way you see it that's your problem. I'm a realist. You might also do a Google search and see if you can find a sense of humor.

Dude, if you're that sensitive you're entering the wrong business!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

@Dexterflex (the OP):
You should check out Berklee College of Music's online training courses. They are trully FIRST rate, they are convenient, and you'd be able to learn all you want about film scoring (and any music-related speciality) right there.

Seriously! Check them out.

@adg21:
Why are you SO concerned about our replies to the OP? He hasn't complained... He also got good help and links, he has this wonderful thing called GOOGLE, he also has a DP manual, and ENDLESS online resources for learning all he wants!

It's almost as if you were his suck puppet... :shake:

MIDI Life Crisis

I think you meant sock puppet... LOL! :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I think you meant sock puppet... LOL! :rofl:
:lol:
Yeah! That's what I meant. No wonder it looked somehow odd when I wrote it.

MIDI Life Crisis

I won't venture a guess as to what that other thing is, but my imagination runs rampant! :) LOL!

What were we talking about? Oh yeah... Dang! Only 5,550 results...

http://www.google.com/search?q=digital+ ... hl=en&aq=f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seriously, guys WTF do you really want to know? :shake:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

adg21 wrote:
FMiguelez wrote: Why are you SO concerned about our replies to the OP?
Because I was interested in the same thing he was and he was slammed for asking a perfectly good question.
Then I understand even less now... what do YOU want to know?

MLC just posted a link with +5k DP-related videos. I suggested the Berkee College of Music's online courses, we've offered to discuss specific techniques and worflows... but you still write in the past tense, as if none of those things had happened throughout the thread :?
adg21 wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:He hasn't complained...
He's probably too scared.
:lol:
It's just that we exhausted our offers and suggestions :lol:

MIDI Life Crisis

Please... this dumb thread dates back to Oct 2009. Get a freakin' life.

Oh, and then there is this:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 27#p317627" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the o/p hasn't figured it out by now I suggest a good typing course. (I just love these anon comments... )

No, I don't really feel the need to show respect (or contempt) to a made up handle from an anonymous source. If I am disrespecting anything, it is the ultimate laziness of those who want things handed to them, even after it has been handed to them many times over.

To wit:

WHAT DID YOU WANT TO KNOW?

How many times do you want that asked?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

ps- You might want to try another thread. There's a lot of good information in this forum but you seem stuck on this and only this thread.

My suggestion is to get to work on whatever it is you want to be doing.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

adg21 wrote:
FMiguelez wrote: Then I understand even less now... what do YOU want to know?
Thanks FMiguelez but if you read my earlier posts you will see why I joined the forum.
You don't really think I'm going to reread a 2-year-old 7-page-long thread just to find that out, do you? :?

This thread is dead. The only reason I stayed this long was for the entertainment value and a little morbid curiosity to see how this would end.

If you didn't learn anything from it, or if you didn't get any ideas yet, and you are still lost and haven't been able to figure out where to find this info (after being told), then I'm afraid film scoring is not right for you.

That's enough for me. Adiós!