How to filmscore in Digital Performer

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to filmscore in Digital Performer

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Frankly, ladies, all this has NOTHING to do with this forum and it's helpfulness. You're bitching about not finding videos on the web, not about what is and is not helpful here. That the members have views on what is and is not necessary to use DP and views on the value of these phantom videos has nothing to do with MOTUNation, per se. The forum remains useful and friendly to people with questions regarding use and where to find info in the manual. If this doesn't jive with your expectations and that causes you to leave or make a blanket 'lame' coment (after participating in a single thread on a single topic) says little about the forum and much about your lack of a comprehensive view and understanding of just what kind if information you can get from the Internet and how much work it actually takes to do something as specialized as film scoring or actual composing with any amount of craft.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

audios wrote:This forum USED to be helpful. Now its all just posturing to see who among the members that post the most has the highest level of wit rather than a complete sense of knowledge sharing.

Adios MOTUnation... been real....not
I know I said I wouldn't post in this thread again, but this is ridiculous, really.

The thing is that after going through the same thing over and over and over it gets old and frustrating quickly.

The information the OP solicited was offered throughout the thread by various members, so you can't really say we didn't help or we didn't offer suggestions. MLC gave a link with THOUSANDS of DP-related videos (just to mention ONE obvious example). What more do you want?

Adg21 started with this childish tantrum that lead us here. Which begs the questions:

- Have you clicked on any of those +5k videos?
- Have you checked out Berklee's courses?
- How about any of the links that were offered in the FIRST page of this thread?
- Did you find something useful?
- Would a discussion here be of help? Or MUST we keep talking about video tutorials? We offered numerous times to discuss ANY film scoring-related technique with you guys, but you never asked anything specific. Instead, you chose to follow the same stubborn path...

I seriously can't see what we could've done differently.
adg21 wrote: Brush your mane if it makes you feel good, but I was only looking for tutorial videos people had posted.
Brush my mane??? :lol:
What are you talking about?!?!?!

We told you, many posts ago, that NO. We are not aware of any VTs similar to the Logic ones at this time. Do you still NOT UNDERSTAND THAT? What do we need to do to make that clear for you?!?!?!

However, if you actually take the time to dig through some of the VTs MLC gave you, you will probably find something useful.

Do you want us to dig through the videos and find one for you, or do you think you can do that yourself? :roll:

Or better yet: why don't you learn film scoring and then produce one of these so-much-wanted VTs yourself?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

To the rest of the Forum:

I am sorry this potentially great and useful thread took this unfortunate turn.

If anyone wishes to have a quality and productive film scoring techniques discussion (with or without DP), please start a new thread.

The quality of the discussion and the answers is very related to the quality of the questions asked. Please keep that in mind.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

How do you film score (AKA score to picture) in DP? I can't find information anywhere... LOL!

http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp/film-scoring/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.motu.com/products/software/d ... g/fcp.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.motu.com/products/software/d ... amers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.motu.com/products/software/d ... click.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.motu.com/products/software/d ... tempo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.motu.com/products/software/d ... ng/qt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.motu.com/products/software/d ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TMI?

All together now (all together now...)

:deadhorse:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Dude, you ARE a troll.

You are mischaracterizing and misrepresenting what we wrote. Quit your straw man crap.
If a simple Google search is too much for you to handle, then I'm truly sorry for you, dude.

You are still complaining because you think we were "rude"? Oh, poor you. Go tell your mommy we were mean to you. Hopefully she'll fix you a cup of hot chocolate so you don't feel so sore. :shake:

<sigh>
Last edited by FMiguelez on Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

adg21
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by adg21 »

I'm not, and anyone who knows me from GS or VI control will know this.
Just bemused, and, tbh, disappointed.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Dude, you ARE a troll.

You are mischaracterizing and misrepresenting what we wrote. Quit your straw man crap.
If a simple Google search is too much for you to handle, then I'm truly sorry for you, dude.

You are still complaining because you think we were "rude"? Oh, poor you. Go tell your mommy we were mean to you. Hopefully she'll fix you a cup of hot chocolate so you don't feel so sore. :shake:

<sigh>

earbrain

Post by earbrain »

How to score a film in Digital Performer?

Hmmmmmm....

1. Open up a new DP project.
2. Import a Quicktime movie of the film into the Movie window and choose "Lock to Transport."
3. Create a chunk, then type in whatever SMPTE start time you want in the Set Chunk Start window.
4. Take your spotting notes and lay markers down at any point where the music needs to change to picture, if that's the way you want to work.
5. Or if you don't want to work that way, turn off the frikkin' computer and open a window. Walk over to your piano or guitar and start composing while thinking about the movie. Later, you can pray that piece of music fits the markers.
Mac Pro 8-core Woodcrest 16Gb RAM
Mac Pro Quad-core Nehalem 12 GB RAM
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

What a mess this thread is. I can't be everywhere at everytime. I got a request from audios that his membership be deleted, so I did it for him.

Also, I don't have time to read this, but as far as finding good video tutorial content, you should search ASK Video on this forum. I believe they are coming out with some.

My feeling is that if you want something like that, you will need to pay for it. Very few of the people asking of this would ever dream of sitting down and sacrificing their own time time make a video of a tip or trick in Digital Performer for the benefit of others. Their time of course is far too valuable, but the rest of us out here on the internet have nothing else to do.

I would guess that what many people will have to do is bear down and learn some things the hard way by doing it. Get a piece of footage somewhere and practice by trying to score to it with DP and every time you get stuck or can't figure it out yourself with the manual and a little bit of your own brainpower, then come here and ask a more specific question. Really, other people aren't going to be able to carry you the whole way. It requires getting down and dirty yourself. And if you learn something, see if you feel like stopping what you're doing and interrupting your own projects, and making a tutorial video. 99.999% of people won't. Just how it is. We are in a world of takers not givers. :shake:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Okay... I've thinned this thread out. It was getting too clogged up with stuff.

Look... point is again, do some due diligence so you can come up with some specific questions. Otherwise, spend some big bucks and enroll in a school somewhere where they make money taking you by the hand from square one. Nobody here really has the time to do that. Most of the people here had to dive in and start DOING. Then you get stuck and you ask a question. You learn to ask good questions that will get you a piece of the puzzle so you can take the new information and continue on.

I don't understand how anybody thinks they're going to go on YouTube and find that knowledgeable, skilled composers/DP users are going to stop working so they can pay their bills and make a serious of YouTube training and post it for free. And for what? When you think about it, they'd just be creating more competition for themselves. Why give away all their secrets? So you can be bidding against them when the next job comes along or something?

No shortcuts. Sucks, I know.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
adg21

Post by adg21 »

I got it.
Just know that I was never asking anyone to 'teach me how to compose', or 'give me some deep DP lessons'. I know 3 other DAWs (inc Euphonics and Icon desks), I can already write to picture, and do surround post in PT and Nuendo, I know the drill when it comes to learning new stuff.
But you're right, the shortcut here is, for me, basically, buy DP.
I did find some useful info on this forum (other threads too) - but there are fewer screenshots and vids than I'd otherwise like to see - but maybe Motu could work on that.
MIDI Life Crisis

Not how the dwebs do it, but you might find this useful... :roll:

http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp/training" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
adg21

Post by adg21 »

Thumbs up to replies like that, I'd have worded it a bit differently, but it's a step in the right direction. Seriously, good.
MIDI Life Crisis

I guess composing can be stressful at times. I post between takes and 'thinking' sessions and tend to be somewhat "fired up" and quick tempered. Probably just projecting a bit. :sorry:

I actually didn't know about that iPhone training thing until I looked at the MOTU site just before posting. I might even buy it... Nah, once they mentioned loops they lost me... :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

haven't had a chance to read thru the 7+ pages of this thread, but here's an answer to the question posed in the Subject line:
"How to filmscore in Digital Performer"
1. learn to write a great filmscore...
2. (purchase and) learn to use DP.....
3. get to work!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me