Volta cables

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Buckage
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Volta cables

Post by Buckage »

I got Volta yesterday but am not sure about the cabling that I need to ensure I don't fry anything. I'm using an 896HD.

For the analog outputs it says to use XLR to TS (pin2=tip, pin 1=sleeve, pin3=sleeve)
and for an extra set of outputs I can use the headphone outputs by connecting a TRS to dual TS insert cable.

I find plenty of XLR to TS 1/4 inch cables online but all my eurorack modules take 1/8 TS cables. I'm not into making my own cables but am told I could take a 1/8 cable and solder on an XLR plu and place the appropriate pin wherever they need to go.

Does anyone have a good source for premade XLR to 1/8 TS? Or a creative workaround?

Thanks
Trash Can Mac (OSX Yosimite), DP 9.02/9.1, RedNet system (along with Raydat card to communicate with eurorack synths via Expert Sleepers ES3)
philbrown

Re: Volta cables

Post by philbrown »

Several ways to go here. Have you considered making your own? If so, I recommend Mogami 2333 for cables that will use 3.5mm (1/8") plugs. I can get other part numbers, just PM me. I like the Kobiconn metal 3.5's with the spring strain relief myself. I've done something primitive but similar where I made a simple breakout panel, which is really what I would highly recommend to you.

I used ethernet cable to get around the room because I had it handy. Do you have any old snakes with XLR ends? You'd need XLR's, some cables or snake, a blank panel and 8 3.5mm jacks and then you're set. Since these cables will only be sending control voltages, if you want to go low-tech you can use something as unglamorous as zip cable if you want to.
If you have a large system you could even mult the whole panel to a second panel in another spot of your rig.
OR
make or buy 8 custom XLR > 3.5mm TS cables.
OR
buy 8 XLR >TRS cables (more commonly available than XLR>TS) and 8 1/4 > 3.5mm mono adapters

If you're really going to utilize Volta as part of your system I'd go the breakout panel route and have it right there ready to instantly patch up. It's definitely in the spirit on modular-ness, if you know what I mean. I plan to do this with my dotcom system if my freaking cabinet ever gets here but I need to update my 2408 mk 1 (-10db RCA outs) to get some more voltage. And buy Volta.

happy tweakin'
Phil
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Buckage

Post by Buckage »

Thanks Phil. Great ideas. I wish I was that crafty. I believe I'll have to go with the custom cable option but love the breakout box idea. You should build and sell these things. I can't believe MOTU didn't jump on the chance to make some custom cables or join up with Mogami. I would imagine most people want to plug and play and not have to solder custom cables to ensure they don't fry their interfaces.
Trash Can Mac (OSX Yosimite), DP 9.02/9.1, RedNet system (along with Raydat card to communicate with eurorack synths via Expert Sleepers ES3)
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Buckage wrote:Thanks Phil. Great ideas. I wish I was that crafty. I believe I'll have to go with the custom cable option but love the breakout box idea. You should build and sell these things. I can't believe MOTU didn't jump on the chance to make some custom cables or join up with Mogami. I would imagine most people want to plug and play and not have to solder custom cables to ensure they don't fry their interfaces.
Hey Buckage, I totally understand we're not all into soldering and such. I was always that guy in every band I've ever been in, so there are pluses and minuses to that! Definitely comes in handy in the modular world, though. Do you have any friends into DIY that could help you?

Unfortunately for MOTU it would be hard to second guess various users and their needs since modular systems vary so much, but I do hear you on that. Maybe if Volta really takes off, some cottage modular companies might offer some breakout panels or something similar, but that's probably a ways off, if it happens at all. I might post on that topic over at Muffwiggler just to see what folks have to say.

The one place I know that will pretty much make any cable you need is Markertek http://www.markertek.com/custom.asp. Although I've never needed their custom services, I build custom PA's and other projects and have been using them as a supplier for years and they are a very good company that I heartily recommend. They carry some items that are hard or impossible to get otherwise, like top-quality color-coded mic cables and such.

all the best
Phil