Wedding Prayer

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
cbergm7210
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Wedding Prayer

Post by cbergm7210 »

Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
Frodo

Re: Wedding Prayer

Post by Frodo »

Chris:

Very sweet and more-than-capable voice, for a start. Tell the singer that she's golden, if you haven't already. :wink: I get the impression that this particular singer can do a lot more than this track reveals. I've heard a million "pure" voices that said absolutely nothing. But you picked the right singer. There's a thin line between "simple" and "bland". This woman is NOT bland. I really long to hear more. She's at least as good or better than what one hears from anything Disney puts out. To that extent, she is world class.

Forgive my going on about the singer, but when it comes to tracks like these the singer makes or brakes it. This one MAKES it big time.

I think the arrangement is tastefully treated and skillfully handled. Bravo. Beautifully done.

It's a wedding song, but what is it for? Only for omeone's wedding locally? A demo for a "greater purpose"?

Do tell!

You're onto something, C. Congrats.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Thanks for the kind remarks, F. I'll take that to the bank! 8)

No need for the apology for the "going's on" about the singer. Believe me brother, I am a great believer in getting the correct tools first, then go about completing the job. Tunes like this are deceiving in that they are so simple, so straightforward, it takes gold to get a recording of it to stack up. Most singers would struggle to not sound a bit vanilla on it, and even she commented on how it was not like falling off a log when she was in the booth tracking it. But I knew her voice, and I knew I could pull what I needed from her (agreed) golden pipes. (On the side, I am indeed impressed that you deftly recognized the magnitude of importance of her voice on this track, F. But then, I expect nothing less of the great Hobbit. :) )

When I heard the scratch demo of the song and started to work on it, her voice was instantly my pick for the tune. She's a good friend of mine named Kristen Heard, and yep, she's as good as it gets if you're talking Disney, theater type work, etc. I'll tell you what, though, she can sing some edgy stuff with the best of them as well. I had a recording of Jodi Benson's work for The Little Mermaid cued up for reference when I was mixing, and I think Kristen has an edge on her. Just my opinion, of course.

The composer is a woman here locally in St. Louis who writes poetry and co-writes with some other fellow, just some retired professor (don't know his name). You know the type. Lots of songs but never been helped with production or recording, just writes for the fun of it. This tune she wrote for her granddaughter's wedding, and someone hooked her up with me to finally get one of her songs whipped up. If I had to guess, she'll be doing a few more tunes in the near future. Her and her family definitely got a kick out of hearing her song materialize. Fun stuff.

Just for kicks, here's the demo we started with. Not too shabby of a voice on this recording, really.

http://www.rfjmusic.com/weddingscratch.mp3

Again, thank you for the kind words of encouragement, brother.

Chris
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Yep-- that's a good little voice there. You did a great job pulling it out of her-- getting her to sing to the ends of her phrases, etc.

You know, there must be a market out there for this sort of thing. Dunno, C. Even in this economy, people are still getting married....! There could be some coin in it for you if the project made it to the right hands (easier said than done, I know).
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Frodo wrote:I get the impression that this particular singer can do a lot more than this track reveals.
Yeah, I get the feeling she's holding back a little on this track, kinda like she needs to let her hair down...but beautifully done nevertheless. I've listened to your posts, Chris. Nicely done, man. Nicely done.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Phil O wrote:
Frodo wrote:I get the impression that this particular singer can do a lot more than this track reveals.
Yeah, I get the feeling she's holding back a little on this track, kinda like she needs to let her hair down...but beautifully done nevertheless. I've listened to your posts, Chris. Nicely done, man. Nicely done.

Phil

Hey, thanks for the kind words, my brother. Music is made to move people, so whenever another is moved by something I've been involved in, I consider that to be a compliment of the highest order.

I'd love to hear some stuff you've done, Phil! For that matter, others as well. It doesn't look like a landslide of material is uploaded here on a regular basis, does it?

Cheers,

:)

Chris

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

cbergm7210 wrote:I'd love to hear some stuff you've done, Phil!...
Unfortunately, virtually everything I've recorded belongs to other people. Although I have permission from some artists to play recordings in my studio for others, I don't have permission to post anything. I'm real fussy about copyright issues and I never bend the rules. There is one piece of music I've been thinking about posting here that I did the arranging on, but it's bizarre. The song is based on a true story about a man going mad after his wife left him high and dry. - "No Warning" The song writer was looking for an arrangement that captured the sense of going mad, and I think I gave it to him. But I gotta say, it's really F'd up. If I get brave enough, I'll post it some day.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Pappy725

Post by Pappy725 »

I concur with the Hobbit, exceptional voice! The whole arrangement is beautifully done. It got my major seal of approval:
Goosebumps!!

Whenever I come up with something that gives me goosebumps, I know it's good. Whether it's good enough for mass consumption, who knows? Or cares?
Great job, C-Man!

Pappy
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, OS High Sierra 10.13.2, DP8.07, 256GB SSD
828mkII, 8Pre, Alesis M1 Active Mk2, Ext. FW drives, Yamaha fretless bass, Kay upright bass, Wechter acoustic/electric, trombone, baritone and a proclivity for polka music. (With sufficient quantities of beer) and I play country music.
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Pappy725 wrote:I concur with the Hobbit, exceptional voice! The whole arrangement is beautifully done. It got my major seal of approval:
Goosebumps!!

Whenever I come up with something that gives me goosebumps, I know it's good. Whether it's good enough for mass consumption, who knows? Or cares?
Great job, C-Man!

Pappy
I will pass your positive words along to my talent, Pappy - son. Bumps of the goose nature are indeed a good sign, eh? 8)

I myself just tend to burst into uncontrollable weeping. :)

Seriously, thank you much for the fine encouraging words, P-Man.

Chris

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Despite the fact that the post that resurrected this thread appears to be spam, I am reminded to remember our friend Chris, who passed away some years ago. A fine fellow who left this world far too soon. RIP.