How do you access BANK B from your MIDI controller?

Moderators: James Steele, ssp

itsthenoise
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How do you access BANK B from your MIDI controller?

Post by itsthenoise »

I'm using PadKontrol [ in logic ] and have no trouble with triggering BANK A but if you click onto BANK B my controller can't find the right MIDI notes?

I've tried transposing in 'MIDI Thru' in logic but neither this nor 'learn MIDI note' seem to work.

any clues?
bobbybland

Re: How do you access BANK B from your MIDI controller?

Post by bobbybland »

I REALLY HOPE MOTU HEARS ME ON THIS!! The way Motu should redesign BPM,is to ALLOW the MIDI controllers banks to work straight away with the controller,
meaning unlike the way it works now.. bank= MIDI channel

Motu should devise a smarter plan here,and allow 1 MIDI channel to control multiple banks! So MIDI channel 1 - could in fact control banks A,B,C,D.. ETC..

I apologize if there is way to do this,BUT I HAVE NOT FOUND IT! :|
This would be much like performing with an Mpc,I cannot consider performing with Bpm until things like this are taken care of.. Please fix.. :wink:
b-righteous
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by b-righteous »

I'm using PadKontrol [ in logic ] and have no trouble with triggering BANK A but if you click onto BANK B my controller can't find the right MIDI notes?
By default, bank B responds on MIDI channel 2 and bank C channel 3 etc. You can set your pad control Scenes to have scene 1 pads on channel 1 and scene 2 pads on channel 2 etc. That will give you access to the other banks by switching scenes from the padkontrol.

If you want to have all banks respond to one MIDI channel, check the map MIDI controller to selected bank option at the top. That will direct your MIDI controller to what ever bank is selected in BPM. Unfortunately you can't assign a CC to make BPM switch banks so you have to use a mouse.
bobbybland

Post by bobbybland »

b-righteous wrote:

If you want to have all banks respond to one MIDI channel, check the map MIDI controller to selected bank option at the top. That will direct your MIDI controller to what ever bank is selected in BPM. Unfortunately you can't assign a CC to make BPM switch banks so you have to use a mouse.

Cool,I hope they create CC'S for this to be used by our controllers,touching the mouse is oddballish ' thnx for the help.
abiah

Post by abiah »

This has never worked in Ableton for me. All MIDI channels go straight into bank A no matter what I try, AU & VST.

In Logic there's no problem.

But don't use Logic any more. So I only get one bank, 16 pads in my favorite DAW ;_;

Any other Ableton users getting MIDI access to the other banks?
ssp

Post by ssp »

watch http://vimeo.com/10118052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

time index 0.25 to 0.35

:D

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
abiah

Post by abiah »

dude I know, the controller looks fantastic.

But ignoring the fact that I don't have your controller.. would that work while BPM is in ableton as a VST/AU? And it wouldn't fix the problem that MIDI patterns recorded within Live (rather than within BPM) would not be able to be go to any other bank except A.

On my setup at least, there are serious problems with Live-BPM integration.
ssp

Post by ssp »

well my bpm controller is based on the mb64e which can be found on http://www.ucapps.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

now the mb64e is a derivative of the mb64, which are user built, MIDI controller projects, the best thing is that the projects are free to build, all the information and technical details are there, you can also buy kits from two of the approved kit and part suppliers (smashtv and mikes midishop de).

my bpm is based around the mb-64e which is a user programmable MIDI controller interface unit. if you read the info there it clearly states " you can assign any MIDI based function to any control surface item you wish, however some items will require user coding to implement"

now the mb64e allows the user to use analogue pots and faders 8 as standard however you can have more using the ainx4 board.

now the dinx4 boards are digital input boards these allow the use of endless encoders and buttons.

all i have done on my controller is assign each item a cc# number and MIDI channel thats it, it takes about 10 mins or so to programme it from scratch using the built in editor, and when you know the numbers for each button, fader or encoder you can program it quicker using the on-screen editor for the mb-64e which is only a windows based editor im afraid.

there is a thread in the midibox.org forums that details the work on the bpm controller in more detail than the thread here, and as such should be the main thread relating to the controller from idea to design and conception.

i cant give details about the bpm software, however i am free to discuss anything you want to know about the bpm controller and how i have it set up and its use, and software implementation and use.

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
abiah

Post by abiah »

Amazing seeing the development of your controller in the midibox thread, big up

I would be interested in buying a kit off you if you ever get to that stage. But first of all, I need to find what the •••• is going on with BPM within Ableton re multiple MIDI chans.
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

You should be able to do that in Live but I have not used it in a while so I can't remember how. You may have to set up multiple MIDI tracks for each channel all pointing to the same BPM instance. That or Live may have a way to select "all" for MIDI channel input. Make sure also to uncheck the "Route MIDI input to" in BPM. This will allow BPM to respond on multiple channels. Try the Ableton forums.
abiah

Post by abiah »

Me being a quilt. The mappings of the banks had switched to bizarro notes way outside of my controllers. Fixed. thanks for your help still.
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

Ah, Ive done that before too. So you tear your whole setup apart rerouting all the MIDI only to find out it's the stupid note mappings.

Your welcome and glad you got it sorted.