Third Party 1394 bus controller drivers for XP and Vista

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Mark S
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Third Party 1394 bus controller drivers for XP and Vista

Post by Mark S »

out of curiosity, what problem are you trying to correct? Some system specs and such would be nice to see too.
Iceblade

Post by Iceblade »

Mark,

Happy to oblige.

Traveler with 1.07 Firmware.
WinXP SP3 with AVT drivers
MOTU Driver v. 3.6.8.1400

Trying to fix random loss of audio accompanied by clicks, pops, screeches and flashing of lights on the Traveler on all output LEDs.

Is there anything else I can provide to help address this?

Thanks!
Jeff
StarF666

Post by StarF666 »

Just FYI:

Acer Aspire 5920G
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
Motu 828 MK3 Driver 3.6.8.1394 (1400 fails with every combination)

Works well with ExpressCard FW-controller (TI xio2200) with Vista Driver & AVT Driver (used AVT for a 5-track session yesterday, no problems).
I also tried the internal RICOH FW-controller but can't install the AVT dricer for that one. With the common Windows driver it works OK for rehearsing guitar. Random crackles with that (But I get them with every interface on every Santa Rosa Laptop).

For me the AVT drivers work very well (no cracks, pops) with my TI-FW-card and I'll continue to use them. Thanks for that idea. ;)

Regards,
Martin

P.S.: I had to start the AVT tool explicitly as administrator to change the driver.
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Iceblade wrote:Mark,

Happy to oblige.

Traveler with 1.07 Firmware.
WinXP SP3 with AVT drivers
MOTU Driver v. 3.6.8.1400

Trying to fix random loss of audio accompanied by clicks, pops, screeches and flashing of lights on the Traveler on all output LEDs.

Is there anything else I can provide to help address this?

Thanks!
Jeff
assuming you've been through the long thread here about this issue I can only add you might try a different firewire cable, The shorter the better. Someone on the Sonar forum recently reported fixing this issue with a new cable in that way.

The AVT drivers are specifically used to fix the drivers Microsoft broke with XP SP2 and beyond. This made it impossible to daisy chain 2 firewire units.

Not surprised it didn't help your situation. Sorry
Iceblade

Post by Iceblade »

Mark,

Gotcha. I appreciate the response. Since the topic of cable length is coming up, I will say that I am using a 15' cable since that is the only thing that works for my setup. I believe I am using the cable that came with the unit in the first place.

Thanks,
Jeff
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

if you can, try a 6' or short to see if that has any effect. 15' is fairly long though I have a 20' that I use with my 896hd for mobile gigs
Iceblade

Post by Iceblade »

Quick update.

I went back through the install process, used the AVT FW driver and rolled back the MOTU drivers to the 3.6.7.4 and now "knock on wood" it seems to be MUCH more stable. I have been playing the playlist of short clips that used to give the Traveler •••• fits and it has been playing for about 10 mins with nary a glitch, squeak or pop. I'm scared to say it, but perhaps this combo of things fixed it. THANKS for your help. I'm still using the 15' FW cable with this WinXP SP3 setup.
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

I totally understand. given all the problems I hardly have a feeling of confidence, thought the most stable drivers are 3.6.7.4 and before from all accounts I've read (for pre MkIII)

Give it a whirl. It';s what's working for me here too.
Iceblade

Post by Iceblade »

So far, so good, Mark. I think we have a winner... AVT + 3.6.7.4 for the WIN! :)

Thanks again for everyone for the help! You guys probably saved me some cash replacing broken gear, windows and various other things I might have smashed given how frustrated I was over this issue. ;)

Regs,
Jeff
Iceblade

Post by Iceblade »

Well crud. I've got bad news. Instead of just playing back audio via iTunes or WMP, I decided to fire up the DAW and record a little last night. Unfortunately, it appears that there is no MOTU ASIO driver installed. What the heck??!?! I am using the 3.6.7.4 version of the MOTU drivers. Now I KNOW I had an ASIO driver when I was using the 3.6.8.1400 drivers, but those had so many pops and squeals and squeaks it was unusable. Has anyone else seen this issue with ASIO support missing? I've been digging around looking for this 3.6.8.1394 version that I see some people have been using, but I've been unable to find them. Can anyone confirm that they are having the ASIO issue as well, and did going to 3.6.8.1394 (or something else) solve the issue?

Thanks guys. Two steps forward, one step back. :(

Regards,
Jeff
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

It's in there. I had the same thing going on too 'til I tried the 3.6.8.1398 driver out of desperation and it was the same. (started a tech support note over that one). Here's what I found: either unit by itself would work in asio, the driver would appear. I could switch back and forth between modes. If I was in WDM and had both units on, no asio driver would appear. If I was in asio and tried to boot with both units on, it was major crash.

you must have another audio device that's using asio mode. The Asio spec only allows for one instance of the driver being loaded into memory. I had known this for a long while but recently found it out even more when I tried to get my 8pre and 896 hd working together. They sync with the AVT driver but trying both in asio lead to system crash. So I'm thinking why is that. I'm using the same driver? No, Motu has the driver load for each device instead of being able to accommodate both units in one instance,... So I have to use wdm.
Iceblade

Post by Iceblade »

Mark,

I think you lost me. :) If I understand what you are saying, you were implying that it's an ASIO conflict with another audio device? But I only have a MOTU Traveler for audio... that's it.
HotShot
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by HotShot »

Mark S wrote:It's in there. I had the same thing going on too 'til I tried the 3.6.8.1398 driver out of desperation and it was the same. (started a tech support note over that one). Here's what I found: either unit by itself would work in asio, the driver would appear. I could switch back and forth between modes. If I was in WDM and had both units on, no asio driver would appear. If I was in asio and tried to boot with both units on, it was major crash.

you must have another audio device that's using asio mode. The Asio spec only allows for one instance of the driver being loaded into memory. I had known this for a long while but recently found it out even more when I tried to get my 8pre and 896 hd working together. They sync with the AVT driver but trying both in asio lead to system crash. So I'm thinking why is that. I'm using the same driver? No, Motu has the driver load for each device instead of being able to accommodate both units in one instance,... So I have to use wdm.

You will find a link to the .1394 driver in this thread: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1673 ... 1&#1677854

I'm currently using the .1394 with my UltraLite MK3, and I can confirm there is an ASIO driver, but with SONAR I can't use any WDM driver.

Is anyone using the 3.6.7 4 x64 Vista driver with any success? I can't find this driver, and I heard the hardware produces no sound if this driver is installed, but it's the last driver with the lower (64 samples) latency settings, so I would like to find it and give it a try.
May a song always touch you in a possitive way!
SONAR X1a Producer
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
Intel Core i7 920, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, ATI Radeon HD 5770
MOTU UltraLite MK3, Delta 1010LT, KeyStation Pro 88, Shure KSM27, 6GB 1600MHz DDR3, 160GB, 350 GB 7200rpm HDDs, QSC K12s, Numark DDS80
Iceblade

Post by Iceblade »

HotShot,

That appears to be a 64-bit driver. I'm using 32-bit WinXP SP3 on my machine.

Does anyone know of a utility or app that can tell me what programs are using what drivers? I'd like to see if something else is using the ASIO driver and that's why I am getting the issue I am right now.

Thanks!

Regs,
Jeff
HotShot
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by HotShot »

Iceblade:

Sorry, I didn't notice you were using a 32bit OS.

This link has the 32 bit version. If you're using Internet Explorer version 8, the site will be translated for you for easy reading. This site is oriental. Scroll down to find the driver download:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_ur ... =yfp-t-501
May a song always touch you in a possitive way!
SONAR X1a Producer
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
Intel Core i7 920, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, ATI Radeon HD 5770
MOTU UltraLite MK3, Delta 1010LT, KeyStation Pro 88, Shure KSM27, 6GB 1600MHz DDR3, 160GB, 350 GB 7200rpm HDDs, QSC K12s, Numark DDS80