.mid files

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
kealle
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

.mid files

Post by kealle »

Hi,

I'm working on some music for a video game and the developer is asking for the files to be in .mid format.

So, as far as I know, this is a MIDI file, right? And i know in DP I can save a file as a MIDI file, open and play it in quicktime, but the sounds that come out are only of MIDI piano, not the intended orchestration.

So my question is, how can I save a track as a .mid file and not lose the original sounds? I don't even know if this makes sense.

At this point, I would be satisfied to export using GM sounds, so long as it's .mid format.

I've tried bouncing as an mp3 and then changing the extension of the file to .mid but that just gives me an error message when I try to open it.

I guess another question would be how can I set up GM instruments either with the nanosampler or with Kontakt. I don't seem to see any setting for this in either sampler. I figure that if I'm unable to use good samples on export, then there is not much need for me to write and mix with them either. Makes sense to me.

Anyway, I hope someone out there can decipher this madness and offer some advice.

If anyone needs more clarity, just let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Keith
iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz RAM
Mac OS X Version 10.6.2
kealle

Re: .mid files

Post by kealle »

Ok, so with a little bit of help from google, I figured out how to set up GM in DP5. Pretty simple actually, using the DLSMusicDevice and then finding the a list of GM Sound sets to help in sorting out which patch changes to make for the appropriate sounds I need.

The issue I still need help with is what is the best way to export the MIDI file?

When I "save as standard MIDI file", it saves from the very beginning of the project I have open and only asks where it wants to end the file. The problem is that I have several pieces all in the same project that I need to save as separate playable songs. Am I going to have to create a new project or sequence for each of the pieces? Is this the way I should be doing things anyway?

Thanks again in advance for any help!

Keith
4 GB 1067 MHz RAM
Mac OS X Version 10.6.2
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

First of all, you need to manually input your Patch change individually within each track for them to be exported in the MIDI File

2nd, You need to use separate chunks for your different songs so that you can export them separately.

to Export you can simply CMD-Drag the chunk Icon in the chunk window. See Manul Page15-20 for that.( I don't remember what the exact page is sorry)
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
kealle

Post by kealle »

Thanks DwetMaster,

I figured out the patch change thing and that works fine.

And I will try the chunks thing. I've not really used the song or chunk windows much, but I guess now's my chance to put it to use.

CMD-Drag, that sounds easy enough. I"ll check the manual, too.

Here's another question, though, regarding the volume of the exported MIDI file:
To control the overall output, am I going to have to manually adjust note-on velocity parameters accordingly or do you know if it will follow my mix levels? I ask because I have to compensate for sound effects, that the overall volume of the fx and music don't come into conflict with each other.

Thanks again for your input.

Keith
4 GB 1067 MHz RAM
Mac OS X Version 10.6.2
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

For the volume and pan to be exported, you need to input it within each track. That's easily done with the snapshot button on the mixer.

BUT

Depending on which device you are writing for CC7 and CC10 might not be recognized. I make music for mobile games and we support over 500 different phones. Velocity information is definitely more supported than CC7 for volume so I don't even bother with mixing with the fader. The easiest way I've found to mix is to:
- leave the Volume fader @ 127
- insert a velocity MIDI plug on each MIDI track you have.
- Then use the scale parameter on the plug to mix .

Make sure your MIDI FX are rendered on your MIDI export. There's a checkbox on the export dialog.
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
kealle

Post by kealle »

Dwetmaster,

So everything you've said has been the perfect solution. (I'll have to do some reading about the snapshot function though)

I'm going to be duplicating sequences, then working with different chunks. This seems to be the easiest route. And the scale plug-in idea is exactly what I needed. I think this will allow me to have the most control over all the music I have to do, 31 pieces total.

However, this leaves me with what I hope is the last two questions/issues:
1: As far as "exporting" the MIDI, I'm doing this through the "save as..." drop down menu. I was able to do what your last post said, which was to CMD-drag the chunks icon, however, it did not maintain the velocity plug-in information; and I didn't find an export dialog with an option to render MIDI FX. So my question, is there an export MIDI function somewhere in DP that I am over looking?

2: when i play back the MIDI file in quicktime, the music gets cut short by about one or two beats. is this just an issue with quicktime, or will i be dealing with this no matter what the playback device is?

Thanks again,
You've been a great help.
Keith
4 GB 1067 MHz RAM
Mac OS X Version 10.6.2
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

Sorry I didn't see your reply sooner.
The saveAs route is the best to export MIDI Files. I gave you the CMD-Drag because it's the fastest one.
To print your effects, you can use Capture Realtime MIDI Effects in the region menu.

As for the cutting short issue, I usually put a PitchBend=0 message a bar or so after the end to cue the end of the sequence. that way I'm certain my file will always get played to the end.