Dwetmaster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New Motu Product? BPM?

Post by Dwetmaster »

It can't be hardware, the first point in the description is this:

"* Live recording. Capture live beats from your MIDI controller. "
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Um, sorry, but the Yamaha RS7000 probably uses a similar description, based on how it is used.

Nevertheless, those with better eyes than mine did notice other stuff in the ad that seems a dead giveaway.

OTOH, the Mac/Win thing is not one of them -- that could just refer to USB driver compatibility.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote:This news is bitter-sweet for me; whilst the commercial plugs continue to be rolled out, we've not yet benefitted much from MOTU's innovative new VI features (and sounds) in DP, the UVI plug notwithstanding.

IMHO, this is further evidence that MOTU can indeed produce the goods to trump Logic once and for all; DP must be a recipient of this stuff in order for this to happen though, again, IMHO.

Interesting point. I've been a MOTU customer for a long time, but lately their marketing moves leave me scratching my head and wondering what exactly their strategy is. For example, they also have plugins bundled into their new hardware, right? Does anyone know if those plugins are the same or better than the stock DP plugins? Why not bundle DP with the hardware? Would that not help increase market share seeing that MOTU hardware is quite popular? Or why not bundle the plugins with DP and allow the hardware to use all DP plugins in projects ported over to Logic? Or why not create a model similar to Logic Studio and have all the cool software as part of the big bundle? It seems like MOTU is going modular with their software while everyone else is creating super packs.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
3rdpath

Post by 3rdpath »

hmmm, will have to check out tomorrow.
mac pro 2.66 quad, 7gb RAM, 10.4.10, dp5.13, M5v2.01, kontact3, reason4, ivory, addictive drums, BFD2, ocean way drums, stylus, altiverb, speakerphone, gearbox, EWQLSO platinumXP, apogee ensemble, izotope ozone, liquid mix, imposcar, vintage neves, UA 1176's...yada yada yada.
beautypill

Post by beautypill »

thracks wrote:I hate the term "Urban" That is a little dated and not much of a description. Some people might think Urban=Rap. Others might say Kraftwerk=Urban.
Um... no... nobody would think that Kraftwerk=Urban.
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

beautypill wrote:
thracks wrote:I hate the term "Urban" That is a little dated and not much of a description. Some people might think Urban=Rap. Others might say Kraftwerk=Urban.
Well, see, now you're going to have to poll the entire planet to substantiate that.
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
Rainman

Post by Rainman »

billf wrote:
monkey man wrote:This news is bitter-sweet for me; whilst the commercial plugs continue to be rolled out, we've not yet benefitted much from MOTU's innovative new VI features (and sounds) in DP, the UVI plug notwithstanding.

IMHO, this is further evidence that MOTU can indeed produce the goods to trump Logic once and for all; DP must be a recipient of this stuff in order for this to happen though, again, IMHO.

Interesting point. I've been a MOTU customer for a long time, but lately their marketing moves leave me scratching my head and wondering what exactly their strategy is. For example, they also have plugins bundled into their new hardware, right? Does anyone know if those plugins are the same or better than the stock DP plugins? Why not bundle DP with the hardware? Would that not help increase market share seeing that MOTU hardware is quite popular? Or why not bundle the plugins with DP and allow the hardware to use all DP plugins in projects ported over to Logic? Or why not create a model similar to Logic Studio and have all the cool software as part of the big bundle? It seems like MOTU is going modular with their software while everyone else is creating super packs.
Yes. A perfect example would be a MOTU control surface bundled with DP x.x. I see Akai has just done a CS exclusively for Ableton Live.
DP 10.0, UA Apollo Two, UA Octo, far too many plugs.
thracks

Post by thracks »

Mr_Clifford wrote:
beautypill wrote:
Well, see, now you're going to have to poll the entire planet to substantiate that.
Exactly, the whole Planet

:wink:
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

"I don't see any method at all, sir."
conleycd
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by conleycd »

I was going to post on this with the subject heading, "BPM - What the heck?- Fix DP 6." A little snarky I know.

I think this is all cool stuff. But, if MOTU wants to rock the Plugin and DAW world then they should start offering deep discounts on items such as Mach 5 II, BPM, Electrokeys thing, etc to those who are registered users of DP. That way they promote DP, establish a better market share, and start killing the other DAW apps that have loads more included with their software. This still gives the option of barebones DP if you want.

What I don't get is that they seem to have some decent effects in their UVI stuff - why can't they implement some similar simple effects for DP. The programming can't be that hard to port.

BTW: Back to the subject of BPM, I love that the loops were mastered at Sterling-Sound - that's is just pure sexy.

CC
Mac Pro 5 (Early 2009) - 6 - Core, 32 gig RAM, Radeon RX 580. Mojave 10.14.6. DP 10.1
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Very reminiscent of FXPansion's GURU if you ask me. A number of the programming functions and some of the GUI approach is very very similar. If FXPansion had released this as a "GURU 2.0" I would not have been shocked.

I don't understand the "Urban" tag...seems to limit the market unnecessarily. My guess: There will be different flavors ala RMX Stylus add-on sounds. Then maybe there will be "Electro" or "Rock" or "World" flavors of BPM.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

bOing

Post by bOing »

nk_e wrote:I don't understand the "Urban" tag...seems to limit the market unnecessarily. My guess: There will be different flavors ala RMX Stylus add-on sounds. Then maybe there will be "Electro" or "Rock" or "World" flavors of BPM.
Other add-on styles:
"Tundra" and "IcePack" collections for the Inuit and people of the far north. "SandDune" for desert dwellers. "Ocean" for...
Success is just one more plugin away! And happiness is as close as your next upgrade.
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Anybody know how much it costs? $279 on the street?

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

michkhol

Post by michkhol »

I would prefer they spend more time and effort on DP. It seems like they are more in the plugin market now. Electric Keys, BPM, what's next?
MacPro, 32 GB RAM, Metric Halo ULN8
macOS 13.6.3, DP 11.3
1nput0utput

Post by 1nput0utput »

MOTU has been in the add-on plug-in market for a while now:
2003 - MachFive
2004 - MX4
2005 - MOTU Symphonic Instrument
2006 - Ethno
2007 - MachFive 2
2008 - Electric Keys
2009 - BPM
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.