Stylus RMX Problems

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dhm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Stylus RMX Problems

Post by dhm »

Hello, I wonder if anybody has had any experiences with display graphic problems with RMX...I had to do a clean install of Leopard recently. Once I was up to speed and 6.01 running I re-installed the plug-ins. RMX would open, you see the spinning ball of...then a Graphic image would appear over my tracks & transport, then the plug-in window would open. Clicking on the graphic image of RMX I would get bits of the trks & transport back. Hiding DP 6.01 and refreshing the app the graphic goes away but leaves the plug-in window with no image just fonts of the interface. white back ground.

Clicking around it comes back. RMX works FINE also in Logic 8.02. It's this display problem! Spectrasonics Tech support said to re-install 5.13 but it did the same thing, nothing changed. It works but what a pain.

I am on OSX 10.5.6 and have a PPC G5 2.0 duel 6 gigs of ram. Before my HD crash and re-install OSX 10.5.6, all lived together fine. Ominsphere, Kontakt 3 and Altiverb plug-in to name a few all work fine why RMX? I wonder if MOTU know about this? Any advice would be most grateful. Cheers DonH
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Stylus RMX Problems

Post by James Steele »

Hmmm... not sure what to tell you. Whether the order of what was installed has anything to do with it or not. I vaguely recall that I was able to run Stylus RMX fine on DP6/Leopard... however I spent a whole day downgrading back to Tiger, due to compatibility issues with a number of plug ins. Your sig shows you're using a PPC Mac also. Honestly, I don't think Leopard and DP6 are a good mix on PPC Macs. Intels are a different story. But if you're using DP6 on a PPC Mac, you're going to have much better plug-in compatibility (for now) using Tiger. It's not fair. It's not necessarily "right." But that's the state of things. Many of the Native Instruments plugs won't work on the DP6/Leopard/PPC combo. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

I get the same thing.... it seems that it may be a combination of Stylus RMX, DP6, OSX 10.5.x on a G5 PPC that causes this. It seems to work OK for me other than the graphic problem you describe.

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
dhm

Post by dhm »

I fired off a e-mail to MOTU tech guys, but I fear they may not have a solution other than going to Intel Mac Pro. I am lucky I have got almost 5 yrs out the G5 not bad! I still believe it's the order one installs apps and plug-ins but one can spend a life time doing just that. Developers are moving on, I guess we are all faced with keeping up.

A very "Happy New Year" to all DonH
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dhm wrote:I fired off a e-mail to MOTU tech guys, but I fear they may not have a solution other than going to Intel Mac Pro. I am lucky I have got almost 5 yrs out the G5 not bad! I still believe it's the order one installs apps and plug-ins but one can spend a life time doing just that. Developers are moving on, I guess we are all faced with keeping up.
Well... I didn't really have the budget to go to an Intel machine at this point. My projects are usually pop/rock songs and put relatively modest demands on my dual G5 2.3GHz machine, so buying an Intel seemed like swatting a fly with a hammer... especially from a financial standpoint. I agree it's a big hassle, but unless you're feeling constrained by the CPU resources of your G5 and feel it's a good time to move to Intel for that reason, you could revert back to 10.4.11 and you will find your user experience much better, FWIW. I realize it's a hassle, but a new Intel machine was just not in the cards for me given the state of the economy, my realistic needs, and other financial priorities in my life. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dhm

Post by dhm »

Well said Sir, I think we are all caught up in having the latest and greatest but it always comes at a price! Compatibility is a major issue and for me User experience being creative and not e-mailing Tech support. " If it aint broke dont fix it!" Switch off software update! my New Years resolution. Cheers all the Best DonH