When is "too much work" too much

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
burn em
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

When is "too much work" too much

Post by burn em »

So far today/night I have working for 12 hours and have atleast another 5 hours to go. It's been like this for at least the last 2 weeks solid. My questions are...

At what point does the brain actually turn to avocado?

When is it OK to yell at random strangers?

How many espresso coffees a day is unhealthy?

Is there an option to permanently shut down DP for 12 hours a day to force me to go home and sleep?

Are the people out in the hall actually talking about me?

Do the kick n snare need to be louder?
Macbook Pro i7 17"-10.6.8 16Gb DP 7.24 ][ G5 dual 2 ghz pci, 4Gb-10.4.11 DP 7.12
Nomad Factory ][ Airwindows Gatelope (The best drums gate. buy it!) ][ Altiverb 6
MOTU 828 mkIII, 828 mkI x3, 8Pre ][ Apogee AD16, DA16 & Duet ][ MC Mix ][ API 3124+ ][ Toft ATB 24
Dwetmaster

Re: When is "too much work" too much

Post by Dwetmaster »

A few years back there was a new about a korean kids who played WoW for 72 hours straight without eating, drinking...
HE DIED
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

ha ha ha - funny questions.
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
burn em

Post by burn em »

Luckily my girlfriend who lives around the corner from the studio is an amazing healthy cook. Great idea having a beer near the end of the day/night. Might have to try that some time :lol: Not joking, haven't had time to think of anything like that lately.

Is it Ok to sleep on the studio couch more than once a week?

Is it OK to not check if the bounce has finished while on this forum?
Macbook Pro i7 17"-10.6.8 16Gb DP 7.24 ][ G5 dual 2 ghz pci, 4Gb-10.4.11 DP 7.12
Nomad Factory ][ Airwindows Gatelope (The best drums gate. buy it!) ][ Altiverb 6
MOTU 828 mkIII, 828 mkI x3, 8Pre ][ Apogee AD16, DA16 & Duet ][ MC Mix ][ API 3124+ ][ Toft ATB 24
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:ha ha ha - funny questions.

Seriously, it (obviously?) depends on the person doing the work. Personally, my longest period without a break of more than about 10 minutes was 36 hours. Started a score at 9AM on a Friday morning, finished 9PM Saturday. Slept a few hours and recorded to picture Sunday afternoon (hence the crush). Of those who know my work they consider it my best score to date.

But when I'm in a project I tend to work 14-18 hours a day and never really feel stressed about it. Stimulants? Start with good, strong coffee in the AM; move to something softer in the afternoon (ice tea, soda), beer at about 6PM; wine about 8PM; brandy about 11PM; tea about 2AM; back to coffee at 6AM. Lather. Repeat.

Good quality food is essential. No fast food, pizza, etc. Also NO DRUGS! NO POT! Cigarettes optional.
Geez... I couldn't do that on a daily basis. That's just me I guess. My longest without sleep stint was years ago when I used to do programming in Macromedia Director and I was on some project working with a guy that could NEVER say "no" to a client and impossible deadlines. Over the course of 54 hours, I took in 3 client meetings, designed an interface for some multimedia presentation for some bigshot CEO guy, set up the presentation (which went fine) and then went home and collapsed and slept for an entire day. Not a single catnap in that time.

Worse, this guy we were working for-- my bud's client-- was a total horses a**-- one of those guys who's tone of voice and manner of speaking to EVERYONE who worked for him was like you were lower than dirt. To this day I remember his name. One of the client meetings, after we had given him EXACTLY what he asked for and he decided he wanted something else so he blamed us and expected us to start over (which my gutless associate agreed to), I came close as I ever have to blowing up at someone. This guy was a real piece of work. However it was my *friend's* client and I wasn't going to blow up his gig.

The last few hours I got through it with lots of caffeinated drinks and eating chocolate M&M's. Stupid. I was younger then, so I could handle it, but today I will not abuse my body that way for anybody. I have no problem telling people that "it can't be done." Will the guy who agrees to kill himself get the gig. Sure. Do I care? Hell, if he wants to die 20 years early, that's his business.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
KarlSutton

Post by KarlSutton »

peanut butter captain crunch works well around 1am . . .
MPB 17" 2.66 i7/8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, DP 7.24, 828 mkII, Ethno 1 via Ultimate Soundbank, MX4, MSI, Komplete 9, Ivory, Stylus RMX.

for a time:MacPro6,1 3Ghz 8 core 32GB RAM
MIDI Life Crisis

Well, I started to answer this post seriously until I realized it was a joke. It is a joke, isn't it? :shock: Then I deleted my initial post but that Steeley Santa whet and re-gifted it! AAARRRGGGG! :)

36 h was my max and I don't think I could do that again unless the pay scale was outrageously large. One of the things about being a full time musician/composer (or a business owner for that matter) that people don't "get" is you will sometimes work endlessly but love it. No time off. No real breaks. But also, no boss over your head except maybe an occasional hyper client and a bunch of dead presidents. The main differences between full time artists (yeah, painters, writers and the like as well) and "regular" business owners is that sometimes artist will get a few months off. That's great. Not always by choice and not always welcome, but always great to have ALL your time to do what you please. Like today...

And why do we do it. We love it, of course. And then there is this:

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

burn em wrote:So far today/night I have working for 12 hours and have atleast another 5 hours to go. It's been like this for at least the last 2 weeks solid. My questions are...

At what point does the brain actually turn to avocado?
11.5 hours.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
burn em

Post by burn em »

Still going, all the difficult stuff done. MMM... I can almost taste the guacamole!

Its going to get pretty close to 36 hrs, though I do have the opportunity to have a nap soon on the couch during a long bounce.

Never again... Hmmm, where have I heard that before?
MIDI Life Crisis

burn em wrote: Never again... Hmmm, where have I heard that before?
Not sure. Were you ever married? :twisted:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

It wasn't work, but after I stayed awake for 9 weeks back in 2004 leading up to the death of my best friend, I enjoyed a greatly-enhanced respect for what lack of sleep can do to one's body. It took years to "mostly" recover from this, even as a 34-or-so-year insomniac.

The thing that frustrates me most about all this is the fact that I can no longer get onto a roll and go with it as I've a house and property to maintain and have to clean, cook, shop and eat. Bugger. I know. I need a gal in my life. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
MIDI Life Crisis

Damn, you're 38?! A mere child... How you get so crotchety at 38? I waited until I was in my late 40's for that. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Incorrect, Magilla. Read the statement more carefully - I was saying that I'd had insomia for 34+ years.

Guess again, big boy. LOL

EDIT: Crotchety, quivery or semi-brief, it's my tune and I'll corrupt it if I want to, corrupt it if I want to, corrupt it if I want to... LOL

MIDI Life Crisis

monkey man wrote:Incorrect, Magilla. Read the statement more carefully - I was saying that I'd had insomia for 34+ years.

Guess again, big boy. LOL
OK. Resume the crank...

(not THAT crank!!!)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Fun, as always, to tangle tentacles with you, Magilla.

Gotta run now and tackle the real world. :sad: