Typical issues during 1st meeting with customer

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Pedwin
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Typical issues during 1st meeting with customer

Post by Pedwin »

Hello to All,

Though it will be in January I’m a interested in preparing a visit of someone who might be my 1st customer. :)
After listening to his last CD (and having been asked to give my opinion) I told him about some of my ideas regarding arrangements and vocaltracks. Somehow he got interested as he was also looking for a studio and so we scheduled a meeting.
I was wandering how you deal with customers that not only want you to engineer their production but maybe also want you to take care of arrangements or maybe even deliver compositions. Coming originally from the composing-/musician side and not from the recording world I am not sure how to deal with a project where you would compose/arrange in a studio. Should I just be happy about a 1st customer wanting to use my studio and give him the time he needs in the studio or should I keep the recording and composing/arranging activities separated and ask him to send me some ideas that I can work on?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and as always this newbee is happy with any suggestion. :wink:

k.regards,
pedwin
Phil O

Re: Typical issues during 1st meeting with customer

Post by Phil O »

My primary function in the studio is as an engineer, but on occasion I'm asked to do other things. I've worked on arrangements, hired and directed musicians, played as a studio musician, and washed dishes. etc. I charge a flat rate for my time, but carefully itemize that time on each bill. This way the client knows exactly what charges are for what activities. I can't see any advantage to billing separately for different jobs, unless the client requests it. I would say the bottom line is be sure to get payed for all your work. Perhaps it would be a good idea to discuss with your client how he/she would like to be billed.

As far as how to compose/arrange in the studio is concerned, do what will result in the most efficient work flow. Your client will appreciate any efforts to save him money and the resulting good will will more than make up for it on your end. I've tried lots of advertising, but the best so far has been word of mouth. "Keep your customers happy" is the best advice I can give.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Pedwin

Post by Pedwin »

Thanks a lot Phil.
I will keep your advise in mind.

R'gards,
pedwin
nvrsay

Post by nvrsay »

Don't forget to deal with the issue of "work for hire" or composition credit and copyright ownership. See all the posts on the "copyright law/ songwriter credit" topic.
If you will be composing music/songs for the client you should make sure you have the paperwork in order first.
Just because you're getting paid to engineer doesn't mean all your composing skills and ideas automatically come along with the deal. Anyway, theres pages written
on the subject here. "Copyright Law? Are chords entitled to a songwriter's %? "
Macbook Pro/M-Audio 410/2 GB/10.4.11/5.13/G4/2408 mkII
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

nvrsay wrote:Don't forget to deal with the issue of "work for hire" or composition credit and copyright ownership. See all the posts on the "copyright law/ songwriter credit" topic.
If you will be composing music/songs for the client you should make sure you have the paperwork in order first.
Just because you're getting paid to engineer doesn't mean all your composing skills and ideas automatically come along with the deal. Anyway, theres pages written
on the subject here. "Copyright Law? Are chords entitled to a songwriter's %? "
He is in the Netherlands so I didn't bring that up as I don't know their laws. Protection is somewhat universal, but implementation varies greatly country to country.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:...Protection is somewhat universal, but implementation varies greatly country to country.
Yeah. I've never used it. LOL!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

The Copyright Law is done by "Buma Stemra" in The Netherlands. Make sure to write a deal with your customer that give u some % of the song for arrangements, sounddesign, producing etc. This is quite standard but it´s a right you only can get dealing with ur customer before ur doing the job. It´s ur legal right but no asking, no money...no rights. This is the only way getting your name printed in the paperwork for the copyright.
If they say no than u just press "record" and let them do their recordngs, best they can....that´s a much easier job.
I usually need to mentally zip my mouth not to start producing during recordings, so I usually talk this thru with my customers before I grab for the Scotch tape. :wink:
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com