Live Lighting

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Spikey Horse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Live Lighting

Post by Spikey Horse »

I seem to be writing a lot of 'what grinds my gears posts' lately ... not sure why as I am not going through some weird grouchy phase - quite the opposite ... anyway ....

I'm curious what people's views are - if any- about lighting for your typical, let's say, 'rock' gig.

I've just started a whole new live project, my first gig last weekend (no need to ask I will say already: it went astoundingly well, I am very pleased :D ), and so I'll be gigging whenever and wherever for a while. In many small clubs there is obviously an in house lighting rig of sorts and often a lighting person controlling it. And here's the thing...

I really don't like mediocre light shows. :roll:

I want essentially static (ie not 'disco') lighting that remains the same all through the set, or changes slowly. Mood lighting is fine - i'm not saying it has to be white spots - but I want people to be able to see me, what I am doing. At the risk of sounding just tiny bit pretentious: I write my colours into the music, man (sorry couldn't resist ;) )

Or.... if I want 'frikkin laser beams' or whatever, I will bring them .... but I do not want your typical sub 500 capacity venue's half arsed, non- synced flashing, coloured lights or someone else's projections during my set - all controlled by some really nice guy ..... who I've never met and who has absolutely no idea what I am going to be playing during the set.

And I don't know why that is considered the way to do lighting in so many venues?

Am I the only one who feels this way?

I've requested certain lighting or sorted our own projections etc in the past when headlining, but it seems a bit much to start asking when you are further down the bill and playing venues that have 4 different bands on every night, with typically one or two of band's backline being used per night etc etc.

I know my music is a bit different (ie it uses virtual orchestras in places etc) but still, more than anything the whole disco lights thing for live music in small venues just strikes me as weird- period.
content is the new style
twistedtom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Live Lighting

Post by twistedtom »

You will just have to meet the nice guy running the light show and have him give you what you want. Other than that play disco music. :roll:
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

You are playing clubs that actually have lighting setups? Count yourself lucky.
I've been to more "bare red bulb" venues than I care to recall.

It's not hard to work out a payment-for-better-light cues deal with whoever
is running the lights. An advance CD handed to them works
wonders. If it's the same person running sound AND lights, and he/she
doesn't know your music, then I wouldn't expect the cues to be spot-on.

Lights tell people there's a show going on. I personally hate it when they're
just switched on and left on without any changes. At least kill the lights
when a song is over, that's all I ask.

The alternative is to buy your own lighting rig and bring it in for your show.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

I often bring my own lightning system and black curtains at gigs. It helps somewhat the audience to focus on what's going on. Any little thing goes a long way.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...