Reccomendations on books about scoring...

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Reccomendations on books about scoring...

Post by BKK-OZ »

Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Frodo

Re: Reccomendations on books about scoring...

Post by Frodo »

"On The Track" is a MUST-HAVE.

OMG!!! I can't say enough great things about it. I have this and the Davis book (Complete Guide...). This is also good-- but "On The Track" is the bee's knees. So many answers in one place. 500+ pages of pure gold. It has everything from how-to's to matters of business.

They should make a MOVIE out of that book! :wink:

The other books are good, but not as extensive-- but they DO focus on important aspects of the subject and offer truly terrific perspectives.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Thanx for that Mr Frodo - the reason I put 'On the Track' lower down in the list is that it would appear to be more of a working book, and not so much a reference?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

BKK-OZ wrote:Thanx for that Mr Frodo - the reason I put 'On the Track' lower down in the list is that it would appear to be more of a working book, and not so much a reference?

It's a book of wise words and common sense. The technical biz is very well incorporated into all else. If you are look for a step-by-step how-to book on a specific aspect of of film scoring, then another book my serve you better. OTT is organized into various chapters-- gives a lot of historical perspective, does interviews with various film composers who speak of their influences-- both musical and philosophical. It has a section on computer-based film scoring as well, but it does not get into specifics of how to do "this or that" in a DAW.

It does get into aspects of budgeting, breaking into the business, etc., and the words of wisdom come from the greatest film composers alive today. The forward alone is by John Williams.

This in combo with the Berklee book are a great pair.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
leigh

Post by leigh »

I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Thanx for that Leigh. I had a look @ the website and the example pages, but its a bit hard to get a clear impression of the book - can I ask why you think it is good?
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
leigh

Post by leigh »

BKK-OZ wrote:Thanx for that Leigh. I had a look @ the website and the example pages, but its a bit hard to get a clear impression of the book - can I ask why you think it is good?
I think it is good for several reasons. First, it's concise, giving just the necessary information and the examples are simple but still convey the concepts well. He outlines an efficient workflow to go from spotting to final cue. He gives his step-by-step process for writing the cue with clear explanations.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Thanx for that, I will consider it. In the sample pages tho, he misspelled 'planning' as 'planing'.
Unless he's talking woodwork, he needs someone to do some sub-editing for him. :wink:
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

There's also an interesting legacy book on film scoring from Norton Press.

I have all of mine at home, and keep forgetting to revisit this topic as I so rarely bring up the browser at home anymore since it puts such a dent in my ability to use DP 6.01 effectively without a reboot (closing a browser doesn't do as good of a job as I would like, with freeing up resources).

The list in the first reply looked awfully familiar, and one film scoring text was just recently (last month) updated. There is also an interesting recent book from Thompson Publishing on game scoring, which borrows heavily from lessons learned in cartoon scoring.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Thanx MH.

I did some googling around to try and find that Thompson Publishing book, stumbled across this site:
Sound-Music-Interactive-Games

That blog listed a book with these details:
Childs, G.W. (2007) Creating music and sound for games, Thompson

But the closest I could get on Amazon was this book:
Creating Music and Sound for Games
Is that the one you are talking about?

BTW, while looking for that book, I came across this one:
Mastering Audio, Second Edition: The art and the science (Katz)

Which, whilst slightly OT, is one that I have heard many peoples talk about before, and its now in its second edition and is also now on my Amazon wish-list.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Creating Music for Sound and Games is the one I was referring to.

The Katz book is a MUST for ANYONE who does audio, and the second edition is a big improvement over the first (I have both). There is a lot of useful advice there that is pertinent to the context of film, games, radio, etc.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Thus Spake Zarathustra (Nietzsche)

Steppenwolf (Hesse)

The Book (Watts)

The Forms of Music (Tovey)
:?:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: The Book (Watts)
Crazy ol' hippee :wink: :wink:
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

One month later, and before I forget for the umpteenth time, here's my list of scoring-related books:

1. Complete Guide to Film Scoring (Richard Davis, Berklee Press)
-- a must-have for everybody

2. The Reel World -- Scoring for Pictures (Jeff Rona, Miller Freeman Books)
-- a strong contendor for second place

3. Film Music -- A Neglected Art (Roy M. Pendergrast, Norton Press)
-- important for historical perspective

4. Sound and Vision -- 60 Years of Motion Picture Soundtracks (Jon Burlingame, Billboard Books)
-- good historical context

5. The Score -- Interviews with Film Composers (Michael Schelle, Silman-James Press)
-- useful to study from the masters

6. Cash Tracks -- Compose, produce, and Sell Your Original Soundtrack Music and Jingles (Jeffrey P. Fisher, Thompson)

7. Sound Design (David Sonnenschein, Michael Wiese Productions)
-- the best deep analytical text on the effect of sound

8. Creating Music and Sound for Games (G.W. Childs IV, Thompson)
-- the best book for game-scoring and technology

9. Audio Postproduction for Digital Video (Jay Rose, CMP Books)
-- probably the best book focused on the technical end

These are not rated in any particular order, other than for the can't-do-without text from Richard Davis.

Mike Worth

Post by Mike Worth »

mhschmieder wrote:One month later, and before I forget for the umpteenth time, here's my list of scoring-related books:

1. Complete Guide to Film Scoring (Richard Davis, Berklee Press)
-- a must-have for everybody

2. The Reel World -- Scoring for Pictures (Jeff Rona, Miller Freeman Books)
-- a strong contendor for second place

3. Film Music -- A Neglected Art (Roy M. Pendergrast, Norton Press)
-- important for historical perspective

4. Sound and Vision -- 60 Years of Motion Picture Soundtracks (Jon Burlingame, Billboard Books)
-- good historical context

5. The Score -- Interviews with Film Composers (Michael Schelle, Silman-James Press)
-- useful to study from the masters

6. Cash Tracks -- Compose, produce, and Sell Your Original Soundtrack Music and Jingles (Jeffrey P. Fisher, Thompson)

7. Sound Design (David Sonnenschein, Michael Wiese Productions)
-- the best deep analytical text on the effect of sound

8. Creating Music and Sound for Games (G.W. Childs IV, Thompson)
-- the best book for game-scoring and technology

9. Audio Postproduction for Digital Video (Jay Rose, CMP Books)
-- probably the best book focused on the technical end

These are not rated in any particular order, other than for the can't-do-without text from Richard Davis.
All great books, and a great list! I would re-promote "On the Track: 2nd Edition" by Karlin and Wright, as another must-have book, and also "Sounds and Scores" by Henry Mancini (Pink Panther). That's a great book, from one of the classic Hollywood composers.
Michael Worth
Audio Dude
http://www.mikeworthmusic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;