DP 6.01 behaving well anyone else?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 6.01 behaving well anyone else?

Post by waxman »

After first installing the new Update for DP 6 I was still experiencing many problems. Especially booting of files started in DP 5.13, certain plugs and VIs etc... I would try to work in DP 6.01 for a few hours and give up going back to DP 5.13.

So for a few weeks I have been opening projects started in DP 5.13 and working through to completion. Also I am not experiencing crashes but I don't want to jinx it... So there have been a few OSX updated during this time. I am running 10.5.5. Could it actually be that DP 6.01 was not the culprit but possibly Leopard needing some updates. I would be quick to think Logic would be immune but it is having some problems that DP 6.01 does not have. So I think I am ready to pronounce DP 6.01 as the goto instead of 5.13.

Is anyone else on Intel machine trouble free with 6.01 and not having problems?

gui still not working for Liquid Mix. But hardware controller works great...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
kassonica

Re: DP 6.01 behaving well anyone else?

Post by kassonica »

It's working totally fine here :D

And this after much much use.

I had one crash yesterday (first one ever as well) running a project with quite a few tracks and plugins at 64 buffer.

I love 6 and couldn't think of anything worst than going back to any other version of DP
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

kassonica wrote: I love 6 and couldn't think of anything worst than going back to any other version of DP
I can.... going to any other version of Logic.
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Mr_Clifford wrote:
kassonica wrote: I love 6 and couldn't think of anything worst than going back to any other version of DP
I can.... going to any other version of Logic.
:lol: :D :D

Aint that the truth
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
hrw

Post by hrw »

I'm jealous. Wish i felt the same.... still having stability issues 6.01 w/ OSX 10.5.5...
bummmer 4 me!
Computer/s: OSX 10.8.3

2 x 2.66 GHz Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/ 16GB RAM,

DAW:DP8.05
Hardware: Apogee Duet
VI's/Plug-ins:
Kontakt 5.1, EW PLAY Libraries and a
million others.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Outside of a few frozen tracks and an occasional bounce to disk, most of my work in DP6.01 has been in MIDI/VI's, and not audio. I can attest that MIDI and VI's are exhibiting stability on my system (Intel with 10.5.5), but I have yet to see how intensive audio work will behave. Outside of a replicable crash in Mach5.2 (clearing a large performance) I have not had any crashes. That particular crash has not caused me trouble, because I only encountered it while setting up templates, so no data was lost. This will just take a lot of time, because unlike in certain previous versions, I have not been actively testing every feature in DP6.01 to see if it is stable or if I can make it crash. I'm simply approaching work as it comes, and merely doing what is required. Eventually I'll get around to most of it.

Meanwhile, based on my limited use, I'll have to agree that DP 6.01 is quite stable.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

I'm on DP 6.01 on PPC, so it doesn't really follow the thread (sorry waxman), but I have been experiencing all kinds of interesting crashes - however, I have to say that almost all the crashes come with a large audio track count, and opening projects from DP 5.13. The only other time I get crashes is when I am using a lot of VIs (this would happen in DP 5.13 - just too much for the computer) - if I forget to turn on 'always run in real time' on my sample based VIs (Kontakt, Superior Drummer), I'll also get crashes.

That said, after getting used to DP6 (and the all important GUI mods), I don't want to go back to DP 5 (...recently someone posted a shot of a couple mixer channels in DP5 in another thread, and my first reaction was - wow, seems so uncluttered compared to the DP6 mixer - mainly the solo/mute/record buttons are much nicer IMO).
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
waxman

Post by waxman »

So does anyone think the stability could be coming from the OSX updates? I am not doing anything different. Run in real time. Same way of opening 5.13. No new hardware updates. If I had updated the Apogee I would think different...

New things were

BFD 2 update,
Liquid Mix Update
UAD Update
Altiverb Update

OSX update...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
hotsausage

Post by hotsausage »

hello all. DP6.01 works pretty damn good on my PPC dual 2.3 with 6.5 gigs of RAM running 10.4.11...EXCEPT for the fact it crashes all but every single time i do any kind of crossfade. have no idea where to begin trouble shooting with that either. trashed prefs, didn't work. any ideas?
michael77

Post by michael77 »

Everything is pretty good with 6.01 except a querky problem with 3rd party VIs.

In the MIDI edit window, I can't hear the note when I click it. This is very important
when editing string parts etc. This problem does not happen with any motu products.

Hope someone solves this one soon.

DP 6.01 mac os 10.4.11 East West Orch Platinum, Stylus RMX, Ivory, B4,
musicinstincts

Post by musicinstincts »

Hello gents,
Sorry for breaking the thread here. I am running DP6 on a G5 dual 2.5ghz with 6.5 gigs of ram. I am getting a lot of crackles on my sessions and for some reason, I notice that my activity monitor spikes up. Now, this is not the cpu monitor from dp. That one does not even make it half way. It is driving me insane here. I feel that I am making my machine work twice as harder than before when I would make the same kind of sessions on dp5.I run video out and I am not using the streamers in real time. Most of my sessions consist of Kontakt 3 and East west Symphony Orchestra (platinum).
Any suggestions?
Thanks!!!!
Oscar
Oscar Jasso
Mac Pro 3.7ghz, Quad core, 128gigs ram.
Slate Raven Core Station
Digital Performer 10 East West Symphony Orchestra Platinum Plus, Hollywood Orchestra Platinum, Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5. Machfive, Quantum Leap RA, Symphonic Choirs, Stormdrum, and all that stuff...

http://www.oscarjasso.com
info@oscarjasso.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

michael77 wrote:Everything is pretty good with 6.01 except a querky problem with 3rd party VIs.

In the MIDI edit window, I can't hear the note when I click it. This is very important
when editing string parts etc. This problem does not happen with any motu products.

Hope someone solves this one soon.

DP 6.01 mac os 10.4.11 East West Orch Platinum, Stylus RMX, Ivory, B4,

You may need to set the volume controller up before the notes will play. That would be CC#11, or in some cases CC#7. Maybe even CC#2 on some with breath control.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

Working great! (6.01) I'm having no issues so far importing sessions started in 4.6. I like the new GUI and everything seems to be (at this point) working as designed.

I really can't compare it to Logic since I've never used Logic but I can to Protools and I like DP much better.

dpg4macman
waxman

Post by waxman »

Thanks for the input. I feel better about archiving DP 5.13 just like the other previous versions of DP. Staying with 6.01 and beyond. I really was afraid Logic would be a DP killer when it came out. That did not materialize. As much as it would be cool to have DP be "the standard" like pro tools... I think Pro-tools well suited to a different environment. It is a big multitrack. If you are using a large format console and need to run with the pack use PT...

I personally don't mind not being part of that...

Maybe one more version and everything will just work with everything else which is really how it should be. I am glad DP did not just survive but thrived this round... Wonder what the recession will bring for MOTU... Apple and the rest of the industry...

Music is finally back where it should be in the hands of the artists...
waxman
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

I can't say that it's not a DP6 issue, but it *could* be a plugin issue. Different third-parties behave differently. If you really want to get an assessment of how DP6.x is working on your machine with your particular OS, do some intensive tests with Built-In Audio and MAS plugins. I know it sounds very un-romantic, but taking the third party plugins out of the equation is a place to start.

When one says "DP6.x", it leaves a whole lot of things wide open. Narrowing it down and adding back one software/hardware element at a time will go far to pinpoint any incompatibilities.

If you really want to test your third-parties, use GarageBand. Again, this is far from being glamorous, but it's closer to Core Audio than DP will be where AU's don't have to go through MAS to get from point A to point B.

Wax'--- I owe you a PM anyway--
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52