Making Stereo VI output into Mono? M5 or Plugsound Pro

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Making Stereo VI output into Mono? M5 or Plugsound Pro

Post by James Steele »

I know I'll feel silly, but I'm working on a song right now and using a MachFive2 present for bass guitar. The VI is a stereo VI. How do I get it to mono. Also, I need to print the M5 output to audio down before I can bounce to disk, and I have to bounce it to a stereo file. Is there an easy way I can get M5 mix both left and right into a mono and bring it into DP's mixer as a mono source.

I suppose I could pan the whole instrument left in M5 maybe and just use the left channel of the stereo output pair from M5. Yeah... that's it... lol... maybe that'll do it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

You could use a send to a mono bus, set to unity gain, and then send the main output of the VI to a 'null' stereo bus (one that goes to a muted Aux track - I have a feeling that if the bus isn't connected to a track, the VI will automatically disable like when the output isn't valid).

Geez, I wouldn't want to be standing next to you on a cramped stage if you were playing that guitar. That could seriously take an eye out!
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
gridgital

Trim Plugin is your best friend

Post by gridgital »

use the motu trim plug, I use it to reference mixes in mono too....
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hmmm... here's what I did. I just went to the M52 interface and assigned to stereo bus 21-22, then panned it hard left. Created an aux fed by a mono bus 21 and there ya go.... or it was something like that. I don't mind just panning instruments in M5 hard left or right as needed. I'm pretty sure in M5 when you pan a stereo instrument to one side or the other it combines both channels into that side.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
gridgital

Post by gridgital »

did you try the trim plug on an insert on your m5 output then you can bounce a mono track and it's still stereo it sound complicated the way you explained.
Metrojet

Post by Metrojet »

I just freeze/print the track and use the TRIM plug. Send that signal
into your other plugs.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I gotta go with the rest of the guys here, James. The trim plug is the way to go. Fast, simple and you can always disable it or adjust it for your stereo mix. By panning hard to one side, you may not be getting all the information, just the left channel. I'll test your theory tomorrow ("...I'm pretty sure in M5 when you pan a stereo instrument to one side or the other it combines both channels into that side.") although I am still using M5.1.2.3
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS