How do I print an 11x17 Finale chart on 2 pages of 8 1/2x11

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
kinnylandrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How do I print an 11x17 Finale chart on 2 pages of 8 1/2x11

Post by kinnylandrum »

I have an orchestral score of over 30 lines on an 11x17 chart that I want to print on 8 1/2 x 11 to check for errors before having it printed on 11 x17 at Kinkos or somewhere. I left a message on the Finale forum but didn't really get a response.

Of course this would mean first printing the top half of the page sideways then printing the bottom half of the page sideways and taping them together. I realize that I might not be able to print all the way to the edge, so a little bit might be lost. But as I said, this is just to proofread, not to actually print for the conductor. Anybody have a good idea how to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,
Kinny Landrum
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

I just got an answer from the Finale forum about how to do this. If anyone's interested, look up "tiling pages" in the Finale documentation and it will tell you exactly how to do this. Works great.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

kinnylandrum wrote:I just got an answer from the Finale forum about how to do this. If anyone's interested, look up "tiling pages" in the Finale documentation and it will tell you exactly how to do this. Works great.
I cannot be without an 11 x 17 printer for just this reason. The Epson inkjets run around $350 and are well worth it when you consider the PITA of running to Kinkos, etc. Besides, you can use it for lots of other stuff and deduct it from your taxes! :) My next investment in that area is a wide format color laser oooooooooooooo!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I've got an old HP Laserjet 4MV (b&w 11 X 17) that has finally died. The current equivalent model is $2100. Ouch! But I don't know if I can live without it. Once you get used to printing those nice big scores, it's hard to go back to 8.5 X 11. Might have to go to an inkjet. Yuk. The alternative is to get this one repaired, but it's a dinosaur.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Phil O wrote:I've got an old HP Laserjet 4MV (b&w 11 X 17) that has finally died. The current equivalent model is $2100. Ouch! But I don't know if I can live without it. Once you get used to printing those nice big scores, it's hard to go back to 8.5 X 11. Might have to go to an inkjet. Yuk. The alternative is to get this one repaired, but it's a dinosaur.

Phil
I just retired my Epson 1160, but I never throw this stuff out until I've torn it apart, cleaned it (including the heads) and ran it thru it's paces. In this last case, it has stopped communicating with OS X. :( Still have the 1280, but there is definitely a wide format laser in the near future. DUPLEX! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS