BMI..composer or publishing co? What's best?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
donreynolds
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

BMI..composer or publishing co? What's best?

Post by donreynolds »

I am getting ready to join BMI and have a question. Is it better to join as a songwriter/composer or is it better to join a a publishing co? Any tips on the best way to get started?

Thanks in advance.
Don

Also is Sesac any good?
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: BMI..composer or publishing co? What's best?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You have to join as a composer to get composer credits. Publishing companies are really only necessary to split royalties with other companies. If you don't have a publishing company, you get 200% of royalties. Otherwise it splits 100% writer; 100% publisher or whatever spilt you have with the other publishing company that adds up to 100 %.

ASCAP is another good choice. I'd stay away from SESAC if you are an American composer. If you stuff is going to be mostly broadcast, I'd go BMI. ASCAP is more general, but you should know that the board of BMI consists of BROADCASTERS. The board of ASCAP consists of artists (for the most part).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
donreynolds

Post by donreynolds »

Thanks MLC. that was a quick reply! As far as the composer name...I figure my name is pretty common over all. Do you make up names or what? How do you differentiate my name from someones elses in order to join up or/ and get paid correctly? I hope I am being clear in what I am trying to ask. I know that you can come up with some really original names for a company, but what do you do as a somgwriter?
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
MIDI Life Crisis

USe you full name (if you have a middle name, etc.) You can also go to the BMI site and search for your name and see if there is a duplicate.

They go by cue sheets, so it's hard to get mixed up with someone else. But it's not that hard to screw up your cue sheets. <sigh>

And NEVER subpublish. Don't ask - just don't do it!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
donreynolds

Post by donreynolds »

thanks... I don't know what it is so I aint askin' :)

What are the cue sheets they are using? Is it something that I send in to them?

I appreciate your help MLC.
MIDI Life Crisis

donreynolds wrote:thanks... I don't know what it is so I aint askin' :)

What are the cue sheets they are using? Is it something that I send in to them?

I appreciate your help MLC.
I really can't give you a primer on the music business. Not that I don't want to, but one thing leads to another and I just don't have the time to go thru it all.

You submit cue sheets (or other documentation) for various projects (orchestral concerts, commercials, TV, radio, etc) and register the works (songs,pieces, episodes) with the licensing agent (BMI or ASCAP) and the work gets reported to them, they send you money. Not always a lot. Sometimes an embarrassing amount if you get lucky.

BMI will gladly send you all the info you need. I think it's all online as well.:

http://www.bmi.com/career/entry/C1517
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
donreynolds

Post by donreynolds »

What you told me was very helpful. thank you. I will find out the rest online. Again thanks for your help. I know your time is limited and I appreciate the advice.

Don
MIDI Life Crisis

donreynolds wrote:What you told me was very helpful. thank you. I will find out the rest online. Again thanks for your help. I know your time is limited and I appreciate the advice.

Don
Don't hesitate to ask about the finer points. I've learned the hard way and I'm happy to share that info.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

MLC maybe you can help me out, i've looked all over the web and can't fid an answer.

I'm looking to join ASCAP or BMI as a writer...thing is, all my compositions are collaborative efforts. How do I go about getting my entire band registered as one entity? or is it not possible? Should we all just register separately?

thanks so much
why would i want to skin a cat?
MIDI Life Crisis

OldTimey wrote:MLC maybe you can help me out, i've looked all over the web and can't fid an answer.

I'm looking to join ASCAP or BMI as a writer...thing is, all my compositions are collaborative efforts. How do I go about getting my entire band registered as one entity? or is it not possible? Should we all just register separately?

thanks so much
I think they all need to join as individual writers to collect royalties. Then each song is cut up into the % of each writer so the total ends up to be 100%. Should be equal %'s but I think you have wiggle room there and can change from tune to tune. You could also have the band become a publishing company and collect half of the royalties. In essence, each full song has 200%. 100% to split between the publishers and 100% to split between the writers. I.E. you might sell off !0% of your publishing for a tune. Buyer Publishing Co. gets 10%; the BAND publishing Co. gets 90%.

In order to "sell" a share of the publishing, you MUST be a BMI publisher. If no publisher is present, the publishing share gets distributed between the writers and no published distribution would take place.

For the songs, you might have John with 25%, Paul with 25%, George with 25% and Ringo with 25%. But then John and Paul wrote a lot of songs together, so those songs are 50% John and 50% Paul. ANother song might be 30% Paul; 30% John; 15% Ringo and 25% George.

All these percentages are don't on the song clearance forms (most of the time these can be done online) or in the case of a TV or film production, the same %'s are reflected in the music Cue Sheet.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

thanks MLC, after a year and a half of searching and learning, im finally starting to understand all this.
why would i want to skin a cat?
MIDI Life Crisis

OldTimey wrote:thanks MLC, after a year and a half of searching and learning, im finally starting to understand all this.
This is just the getting stared introduction. It gets better once you start actually collecting royalty statements. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
GMT
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by GMT »

If I want to license my music for film & TV, I can join either PRO (ASCAP/BMI). Joining as a publisher is not necessary? Or is it? - since some deals involve giving a percentage of publishing to a music library, for example. What then, would be the core purpose for establishing oneself as a publisher via ASCAP or BMI? I've got more reading to do.
if it sounds good, it is good - ellington
macbook pro 2.53 4G OS 6.8 DP7.22 828mkII
MIDI Life Crisis

GMT wrote:If I want to license my music for film & TV, I can join either PRO (ASCAP/BMI). Joining as a publisher is not necessary? Or is it? - since some deals involve giving a percentage of publishing to a music library, for example. What then, would be the core purpose for establishing oneself as a publisher via ASCAP or BMI? I've got more reading to do.
THere is no PRO vs. non-pro BMI (don't know about ASCAP.)

To "split" publishing, you must also be a publisher. If the licensing co. says you don't they they intend to take 100% of your publishing. DOn't do that!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
GMT
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by GMT »

Thanks, MLC. I was thinking along those lines.

By PRO I meant Performing Rights Organization.
if it sounds good, it is good - ellington
macbook pro 2.53 4G OS 6.8 DP7.22 828mkII