The Longest, Most Inconsistently-Off-Topic Thread in History

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by monkey man »

Tomrabbit wrote:Hey Monkey Man, it's a female Ig, yea. And she's smoking in a Photoshop window, is that legal?
Ssshhh... don't let the thought police hear you; it's legal for now...
Hang on...[tries not to think...] Doh! :lol:
Tomrabbit wrote:And she has minor scales on her face. :D
She's a sad beauty, eh?
Tomrabbit wrote:I always love your posts MM, you have a great sense of humor. Thanks. I've gotten many tips from you as well as from the others.
I've got that warm and fuzzy feeling again.
Thank you, Tom; it's encouraging to hear this, especially because, although I've only ever received two "complaints" about said humour along with hundreds of gestures of encouragement, those two almost had me packing, and they both surfaced during the last 2 months. :oops:
Seriously, I give my all to this place as it means so very much to me that decent folks have chosen to gather here, so it (understandably so, I reckon) really does bring me down when I learn that someone's been inconvenienced by said poo flingin'. :D

'Tis a good day after all; I only want to spread joy and light, and little gems such as what you said make it all the more worthwhile.
I sure hope I can maintain the standards (or lack thereof!) that have come to be expected of me. :?
Tomrabbit wrote:v I've never posted much, since I've always found answers somewhere here. Thanks all! I just wanted to get in the mix a little.
You know, I didn't post for well over a year, and for the same reason.
I eventually couldn't stand not being a part of the wonderful vibe that James manages to maintain here any longer, so I took a deep breath and jumped in.
I well remember sweating on how I'd be received, but I should've known better; the fact that all newbies are treated with respect is a given in these here parts. :D
Tomrabbit wrote:To stay on topic here...... Speaking of guitar strings, why doesn't anybody carry Ernie Ball Individual Strings any more? ( the single strings, not the sets )
Tom
Probably 'cause they can hit you for more dough, unfortunately, and in MHO.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Bill OC

Post by Bill OC »

twistedtom wrote:I try to find things to be thankful for; today I was thinking that I had not heard Conquest by the White Stripes on the radio for some time.
For this I am thankful.
Now I know I'm of a different generation than many here. I'm still thankful for every day I don't hear In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.
Tomrabbit

Post by Tomrabbit »

I remember the Butterfly, I bought their 1st album, Heavy, and kinda liked it but that was before they recorded...... I can't even say it. (the one with the drum solo) :roll:
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

twistedtom wrote:I try to find things to be thankful for; today I was thinking that I had not heard Conquest by the White Stripes on the radio for some time.
For this I am thankful.
:D :lol:
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Bill OC wrote:
For this I am thankful.
Now I know I'm of a different generation than many here. I'm still thankful for every day I don't hear In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.
THe simpsons version YES every other version NO NO NO
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Tomrabbit

Post by Tomrabbit »

Monkey Man Wrote:
You know, I didn't post for well over a year, and for the same reason.
I eventually couldn't stand not being a part of the wonderful vibe that James manages to maintain here any longer, so I took a deep breath and jumped in.
I well remember sweating on how I'd be received, but I should've known better; the fact that all newbies are treated with respect is a given in these here parts.
MM, I've been hanging ( no pun) here for years and felt like you. Thanks for the welcome feelings. And no poo dusting. :D

Mark: Ditto on the Simpsons, the best show on TV! (_8-(I)-(:--~)----{
jgest

Post by jgest »

For this I am thankful.
I would be to. I never caught on to the white stripes....reminded me of a sloppier version of mudhoney....and they were sloppy.....but having a multi gender band does add marketability.
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
My dp inspired music.....
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Tomrabbit wrote:MM, I've been hanging ( no pun) here for years and felt like you. Thanks for the welcome feelings. And no poo dusting. :D
Hey, it was a pleasure Tom.
Incredibly, we're 4 pages in and the place is spotless. :lol:

BTW, that iguana looks like it's been hangin' around with Hunter Thompson. :lol:
jgest wrote:can anybody tell me long it takes to defrost a 16lb turkey? 8)
No, but it'd take 5 hours to freeze a woolly mammoth at minus 300 in order to preserve undigested food; the enzymes continue to work after death, hence the speed with which this would have had to have happened for us to be able to dig up said beasties and find said vegetable matter in their tummies.
FWIW, minus 130 is as cold as it gets on this here earth.

I have a theory as to how this was possible, and to my amazement a well-known professor (ex NASA I think) came to the same conclusion...
twistedtom wrote:Yes I think so the last time I was in the music store that is what they sold. I use DR's myself.
James (I think) suggested DRs as an "easier to play" brand.
Have you found this to be the case, Tom?
Should I switch from D'Darios? (Finger strength issues - need all the "hardware" help I can get).

jgest

Post by jgest »

:D good thing this is only an off topic thread and not a jam session......it would be some "way out there", "look ma no hands", "listen to me, I am the one" kind of free form jazz.......or endless noodle doodle jam bland band rock......
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Wha?... I thought this was a jam session. :shock:

jgest

Post by jgest »

monkey man wrote:Wha?... I thought this was a jam session. :shock:
more like jelly, or marmalade.....incidentally must marmalade contain peels in order to qualify....is it a qualitative issue or a quantitative issue.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

jgest wrote:
monkey man wrote:Wha?... I thought this was a jam session. :shock:
more like jelly, or marmalade.....incidentally must marmalade contain peels in order to qualify....is it a qualitative issue or a quantitative issue.
Quantitative, methinks.

I learned as a kid that if one removes the rind/peel, one's left with what approximates jam.
Kinda like removing trolls from the site.

Mmmmm.... jam.... :lol:

Bill OC

Post by Bill OC »

All right, so how does "preserves" fit into the scheme of things? When I have jam on my shopping list, I often buy preserves. It sounds almost anthropological. Damned if I know the difference. :?
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Bill OC wrote:All right, so how does "preserves" fit into the scheme of things? When I have jam on my shopping list, I often buy preserves. It sounds almost anthropological. Damned if I know the difference. :?
Glad you asked, Bill; I've always wondered this myself.

The Apple dictionary defines them thusly:
food made with fruit preserved in sugar, such as jam or marmalade

So it's more a case of how marmalade fits into the scheme of preserves, methinks. :D

At this rate we'll all be geniuses by the time we hit the 1000 page mark. :lol:

Tomrabbit

Post by Tomrabbit »

Monkey Man wrote:

James (I think) suggested DRs as an "easier to play" brand.
Have you found this to be the case, Tom?
Should I switch from D'Darios? (Finger strength issues - need all the "hardware" help I can get).
It's all a matter of personal taste, I like E.Ball for electrics and DR's for acoustics.

Monkey Man wrote:
Wha?... I thought this was a jam session.
Yes, I see you brought your horn.
Alright, on the 'and' of 4.......