The Longest, Most Inconsistently-Off-Topic Thread in History

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
twistedtom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by twistedtom »

Tomrabbit wrote:Monkey Man wrote:

James (I think) suggested DRs as an "easier to play" brand.
Have you found this to be the case, Tom?
Should I switch from D'Darios? (Finger strength issues - need all the "hardware" help I can get).
It's all a matter of personal taste, I like E.Ball for electrics and DR's for acoustics.

Monkey Man wrote:
Wha?... I thought this was a jam session.
Yes, I see you brought your horn.
Alright, on the 'and' of 4.......
Just the other way around for me. :wink:
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
Bill OC

Post by Bill OC »

monkey man wrote:
Bill OC wrote:All right, so how does "preserves" fit into the scheme of things? When I have jam on my shopping list, I often buy preserves. It sounds almost anthropological. Damned if I know the difference. :?
Glad you asked, Bill; I've always wondered this myself.

The Apple dictionary defines them thusly:
food made with fruit preserved in sugar, such as jam or marmalade

So it's more a case of how marmalade fits into the scheme of preserves, methinks. :D

At this rate we'll all be geniuses by the time we hit the 1000 page mark. :lol:
Thanks, Monkey Man.

But take the brand I often buy in the States, "Smuckers" (you can say that word in this forum, I presume). Smuckers sells strawberry jam *and* strawberry preserves.

Off the off-topic topic: if you think you had problems as a child, how would you like to grow up with a name like "Smucker."

Gall dang little smuckers!

(Don't worry, James, this is as far as I'm taking it.)
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Green Day has a side project and they are called Foxboro Hot Tubs.
The Off Spring are supposed to be making a come back.

I was listing to trance on one of the alternate stations last night; you know DJ music but I do not do drugs so I was not high on ecstasy.
I put on some old jazz. I heard a song from Benny Goodman’s trio from 1935.

Has any one listened to Dragon Force? They are amazing; rush meets progressive speed metal at warp speed.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

twistedtom wrote:Has any one listened to Dragon Force? They are amazing; rush meets progressive speed metal at warp speed.
The name seems apt. :D
Bill OC wrote:But take the brand I often buy in the States, "Smuckers" (you can say that word in this forum, I presume). Smuckers sells strawberry jam *and* strawberry preserves.
Ha! That's the one Willard Scott promotes when he mentions that Granny May is 104 years old this morning, isn't it? :lol:

Insomnia in Australia can mean that you keep up pretty well with the rest of the world, I s'pose. :oops:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
jgest

Post by jgest »

twistedtom wrote:Green Day has a side project and they are called Foxboro Hot Tubs.
The Off Spring are supposed to be making a come back.

I was listing to trance on one of the alternate stations last night; you know DJ music but I do not do drugs so I was not high on ecstasy.
I put on some old jazz. I heard a song from Benny Goodman’s trio from 1935.

Has any one listened to Dragon Force? They are amazing; rush meets progressive speed metal at warp speed.
Trance without the drugs does a body good. All the filter modulation, cutoff, rez.....bombards the cerabellum and makes for more synaptogenisis. Making stronger, smarter human......
You must have been listening to what we call " sailor trance" as the real good stuff ala shpongle and stuff is more conventional insturmentation, and less dj starfish......I personally can't stomach the sailor stuff, and I am one who considers my self a "trancer".........at least in my current musical phase

No dragon force, but i'll admit I own the first Rising Force album :oops:
And a Both of the solo post sabbath DIO albums, so put together that should equal a dragon force :D
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
My dp inspired music.....
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

This one station plays DJ music (trance) on Saturday night some of it is good and has nice beats and builds and falls nicely. The few songs I heard Saturday must have been sailor trance as it was just a simple droning and that is why I changed channels.
The drug comment I may could be a bit prejudice; I am bad.

Google Dragon Force but put your seat belts on.
Spikey Horse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Spikey Horse »

Does anyone else feel kind of put down when DP says, 'you must select a track to record on'

Like it comes across as just a little bit arsy ... a little bit scornful... there's just a hint of a tone about that remark. Not so much it couldn't be denied ... but it's there alright and we both know it. :wink:

I mean, DP could say 'There are currently no record enabled tracks' or something.

I know ... it's nothing. And yet, it gets under my skin just a little bit every time.

It's like: "- alright, alright, I'm in a rush here, I've got a guitar on my lap, I'm being careful not to knock over that mug with the neck- I've got too many windows open and I just didn't see the track wasn't rec enabled, I mean it's not like I don't know how to record, you don't have to tell me I need to rec enable a track to record onto.... just chill out man..... just chill .. OK......"

BTW This is my debut post here. I had issues with a thread being contrived for OTness. Seems contradictory.

So I resisted .... but what the hell... :)

Was that random enough?
content is the new style
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Spikey Horse wrote:Does anyone else feel kind of put down when DP says, 'you must select a track to record on'

Like it comes across as just a little bit arsy ... a little bit scornful... there's just a hint of a tone about that remark. Not so much it couldn't be denied ... but it's there alright and we both know it. :wink:

I mean, DP could say 'There are currently no record enabled tracks' or something.

I know ... it's nothing. And yet, it gets under my skin just a little bit every time.

It's like: "- alright, alright, I'm in a rush here, I've got a guitar on my lap, I'm being careful not to knock over that mug with the neck- I've got too many windows open and I just didn't see the track wasn't rec enabled, I mean it's not like I don't know how to record, you don't have to tell me I need to rec enable a track to record onto.... just chill out man..... just chill .. OK......"

BTW This is my debut post here. I had issues with a thread being contrived for OTness. Seems contradictory.

So I resisted .... but what the hell... :)

Was that random enough?

I always feel put down as well. You have struck a nerve here as well.

I say we petition motu to change this in DP 9.

All in favor raise your virtual hand..
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Wow mine say's "you dumb shtt you forgot to select a track to record on" I have a mean DP5.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Hell thats a meany a D meany in fact
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Perhaps, 'Cornies, we could tweak the response if we could find it in the app itself.

I'll have a look, but unless it's indexed I've a feeling it'd be tricky to find.
FWIW, nothing is indexed on my 'puter. :oops:
jgest wrote:No dragon force, but i'll admit I own the first Rising Force album :oops:
And a Both of the solo post sabbath DIO albums, so put together that should equal a dragon force :D
I've got the Rising Force LP, Josh, and love it but haven't heard it in 15 years 'cause I've no player.
Hint, hint... :lol:

Oh, and I met Ronnie James Dio outside the Hilton Hotel in Melbourne around '88 after he played Festival Hall.
Viv Campbell from Def Leppard played lead that night, and Jimmy Bain was on bass:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Bain

You know, I'd clean forgotten those names, but they both flooded back when I read your post.
Them was the days... :?
He had his high-heels on but still looked like an imp or a leprechaun... not sure which. :lol:

Bill OC

Post by Bill OC »

monkey man wrote: Ha! That's the one Willard Scott promotes when he mentions that Granny May is 104 years old this morning, isn't it? :lol:

Insomnia in Australia can mean that you keep up pretty well with the rest of the world, I s'pose. :oops:
That's the one. Sorry you have access to that down under!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Bill OC wrote:
monkey man wrote: Ha! That's the one Willard Scott promotes when he mentions that Granny May is 104 years old this morning, isn't it? :lol:
That's the one. Sorry you have access to that down under!
LOL!

Hey, we take what we're given; we're used to receiving scraps and getting last dibs on everything down under. :D

twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

MM are you feeling down under?
jgest

Post by jgest »

twistedtom wrote:Wow mine say's "you dumb shtt you forgot to select a track to record on" I have a mean DP5.
mine says "kid i'll give you $.50 for a soda pop if you get a life and stop trying to hard"
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
My dp inspired music.....
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;