Share your favorite DP tip!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Sylver
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Share your favorite DP tip!

Post by Sylver »

Or, things you wish someone had told you about without having to learn the hard way.

I'm a PC/Sonar convert and I'm diligently working my way through the DP(4.52) manual and putting my time in in DP.

But I thought I'd fish around and see if there are any cool and indespensible tips that the vets are willing to share.

Thanks in advance! (for all us newbies)
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Share your favorite DP tip!

Post by Timeline »

Turn off the automation pref under the setup window called 'effects parameter' before every mix.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
laurence

Post by laurence »

TimeLine, why do you do this ? what does this "FIX" ?

And what does it exactly disable ?
DP 7.12 ~ G5 dual 2.3 / Mac Pro Quad 3/Genelec ~ ProTools HD 7.4 / 8 with 96 i/o's / MOTU 2408 Mk 3 + 1224
Kind Of Loud

Post by Kind Of Loud »

Double tap "w" for a group. Tap once to un-group.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Last edited by Tritonemusic on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind Of Loud

Post by Kind Of Loud »

Another one I've been using. although not a DP short cut, is the zoom in OSX. System Preferences/Universal Access/Turn On Zoom...Then it's Option/Command/= to get right in there and Option/Command- to come back out.... Pretty awesome after tracking and knocking off 12/15 cold one's and want to do a little touch up and see things better!!
dpdan

Post by dpdan »

666 I did not know that one thanks alot!

Dan
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I try to explan Lucy....

When you are mixing in a DAW, most automate everything including arm movement when you reach for a beer.

EQ's are subsequently automated if the write buttons are left on accidently when you are previewing an eq setting in play.

I like to leave various write buttons on and not have to change status constantly on tracks I'm working on.

Well, I'm old school admittedly, but I like my eq's to simply remember the one ride setting I select and NOT change during a mix in any other way. Same for other effects. What I would really like is individual effects parameter release but that is likely to much to ask for.

Anyway, when [parameters] is disabled you do not write eq changes and the eq or effects setting you chose stays from beginning to end of song just the way a real analog board would.

Now, if MOTU would simply place a button in DP that would (UPDATE TO END), anything in current write/play and then stop mix to concur it was accomplished, this feature would absolutely complete my life's holy grail search for perfection and I could die.

<small>[ July 02, 2005, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Timeline ]</small>
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
dix

Post by dix »

Originally posted by Kind Of Loud:
Double tap "w" for a group. Tap once to un-group.
It does? I can't get this to work. Can you explain? -thanks

<small>[ July 02, 2005, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: dix ]</small>
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dix

Post by dix »

Scroll-wheel on the frame in the Transport for single-frame advance (works w seconds, minutes or hours too).
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

If you're new you may not have discovered the nifty window commands listed under Project in the DP menu bar...

Shift-M (Brings up the Mixer)
Shift-S (Brings to the front the Sequence Editor)
Shift-T (Brings up the Tracks window)
Shift-B (Soundbites list)

etc..they all are listed with their shortcuts.

=bz=
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

iMAS

Post by iMAS »

Originally posted by 666:
Select any tracks you want (Shift-Click). Hold down the letter "t" while picking a color. All of the tracks you selected will change to that color.
hey thanks...cool tip !!!!
TheHopiWay

Post by TheHopiWay »

Originally posted by Timeline:
........Now, if MOTU would simply place a button in DP that would (UPDATE TO END), anything in current write/play and then stop mix to concur it was accomplished, this feature would absolutely complete my life's holy grail search for perfection and I could die.
Nice idea but since snapshots can already achieve this with minimal effort I doubt it's in the works.
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Snapshots have nothing to do with this feature nor can they be used in this manor.

Cheers,
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Excellent thread! I've learned something already. Here's one:
Switches Are Continuous Data (graphic editor)

Some continuous controllers like to display as on/off switches, in the space between the MIDI editor and the velocity editor panels in the Graphic Editing Window. They appear in boxes with their number on them, and if you have a lot of them, they are hard to reach and hard to edit. (Controller 64--"sustain"--is an example)

In the Preferences window, go to Editing --> Continuous Data, and click the "Switches are continuous data" option. Now, Controller 64 and any other switches will appear in the lower panel with the velocity and other continuous data icons, and will display a colored range showing when they are "on."

Conversely, if it's already set that way, and you get tired of the colored ranges, you can set them back to switches and the colored areas will go away, the icons appearing in that strip between the upper and lower editing panels.

Shooshie

<small>[ July 02, 2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Shooshie ]</small>
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|