828 MK3 Thoughts....

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
dmacintyre
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828 MK3 Thoughts....

Post by dmacintyre »

Just got it, set it up and configured and tested it with Live, DP 5.13 and Logic Pro 8 (OSX 10.5.2, 24" iMac, Agere FW chipset). A few observations :

1. No issues with performance at all. Loaded up a few heavy projects in each DAW and everything sounds OK. No glitches in playback or anything like that (except for Logic's "first run through" stutters :lol:).

2. The 828 MK3 photos on the MOTU website aren't true to the actual unit. It comes with rack ears and square edge profile on the front corners like the Ultralite. They must have photoshopped the corners out for the front photos to make it look curvy and modern. :lol:

3. CueMix works as described and the EQ / compressor sound quite nice.

4. Outputs are very, very hot. Even with my monitors turned all the way down to 0.5 on their scale, I need the 828 output to be way down at -34dB to achieve comfortable listening volumes. This means that none of the meters (on the unit itself or in Cuemix) are of much use - they barely register the signal. I might be doing something wrong but I can's see any way to attenuate the output and still get some accurate reflection of what's happening at the main outputs. Even though I had the output turned considerably far down the scale when I started testing it, I still managed to get a sudden loud blast which I think has fried my Rubicon ribbons. Damn.

5. No bus power which is a bit of a shame.

6. Miniscule knobs which are too close together, just like the Ultralite. For something they are also marketing for use as a stand alone mixer, it's a fiddly set up to use from the front panel.

7. The meters on the front don't seem particularly accurate with regards to timing. E.g., if I set up a drum loop with a kick every quarter note and playback the loop, it's bang on the beat initially then on the third or fourth flash / beat, the front meter of the 828 will be slightly delayed, then it skips back into flashing in time again, then another delay a few beats later. Strange.

8. I'm puzzled why there is no integrated panel for Cuemix or 828 audio options in DP. Apogee does it with Logic so why can't MOTU integrate their own hardware config panels into their own sequencer? Unless of course it's going to be in DP6.

Overall, I'm quite impressed. Doesn't sound better than my Duet did but it has all the I/O I'm likely to need any time soon.

Recommended (but doesn't trounce the cheaper, smaller, bus powered Ultralite if you ignore / don't need any of the Cuemix stuff).

IMHO. :D

David
DP5, Live 7, MAX/MSP, Zebra 2, Apogee Duet
disco
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by disco »

Hi,

Good run down of features / gripes mate. I am looking to buy one of these shortly but am a bit concerned about this level thing. Sorry to hear about your speakers! It sounds like Motu have a bit to do with regards to firmware. I'm amazed it even left the factory like this. What are the reverbs like? Cheers. :D
dmacintyre
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by dmacintyre »

I remember my Ultralite was like that too. Perhaps it's the input to my monitors or something but every other non-MOTU interface I have had was OK in this respect. It's only the Ultralite and 828 that exhibit this "hot" output.
disco wrote:What are the reverbs like? Cheers. :D
They are OK - not something I will make great use of as I prefer Space Designer / Altiverb (and hopefully the convolution in DP6) but I can see it going down well with people who need to add some for vocal tracking, etc.

David
DP5, Live 7, MAX/MSP, Zebra 2, Apogee Duet
disco

Post by disco »

Hi,

Thanks. I would only use them for tracking purposes me thinks. Cool, any other findings, please feel free to share!

Cheers. :)
enigmatunes

Re: 828 MK3 Thoughts....

Post by enigmatunes »

dmacintyre wrote: 6. Miniscule knobs which are too close together, just like the Ultralite. For something they are also marketing for use as a stand alone mixer, it's a fiddly set up to use from the front panel.
Yeah, I hear that (with my UltraLite) ... but would I trade knobs for the lack of control that removing them would bring? Hmm...
dmacintyre wrote: 8. I'm puzzled why there is no integrated panel for Cuemix or 828 audio options in DP. Apogee does it with Logic so why can't MOTU integrate their own hardware config panels into their own sequencer? Unless of course it's going to be in DP6.
That would definitely be cool. But if I'm not mistaken (and I may very well be) the Apogee "integrated control" window in Logic is basically just a pop up of their same outside-of-Logic 'Maestro' control panel and doesn't particularly offer any real special control or integration within Logic (other than easy access). I suppose I'm just defending MOTU by saying "well, uh, no one else has done it right yet either!" :wink:
"Where do these stairs go?" ...
"They go up."