Ratio of fresh vs existing musical material

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
Spikey Horse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Ratio of fresh vs existing musical material

Post by Spikey Horse »

My first venture into this forum :shock:

Here's a not very deep question but somthing I'm curious to ask:

If you are writing for a specific 'themed project' (film or whatever) how much will tend to be new material composed from nothing and how much will you tend to rely on ideas you came up with months/ years /(decades?) ago?

... Ideas which may have been floating about - not because they are no good but because they were never appropriate for anything ... until now.

I seem to have accumulated a vast library of ideas from phrases to whole pieces that are just sitting on my HD ... I sometimes go through them and hear things I had completely forgotten about - it's as if they were written by someone else (I really like it if they sound foreign like that actually).

I'm just curious for all you prolific writers out there, who write for other people full time (which I certainly do not), what the ratio is between using genuinely new vs. stored away ideas for these kinds of projects.

Have you ever even accepted / declined a project based on what you have/don't have in your library of ideas that may be suitable for it?
Last edited by Spikey Horse on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by monkey man »

I recommend at least 10% fresh material, Spike; that way it hurts and sticks. :lol:

Sorry. How could I resist the title? :oops:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Spikey Horse

Post by Spikey Horse »

Much flinging directed your way MM!!

:D

A high fibre diet does aid creativity, there's nothing worse than trying to write when .... oh wait, let's start a whole new thread for this ...
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

You're right Spike, and I do feel it's worthy of discussion sometime.

If I may finish your sentence:
there's nothing worse than trying to write when... you're chock full of pizza/McDonalds/Chocolate/Lollies etc.
I'm sure jgest would have lots to say on this too.

FWIW, junk food's role here is a significant part of the MonkeyBlame Suite•„• - Solutions for a Cyclical World paper I put out last year.
Of course, it's all broken down now, but I did put it out. :?

Spikey Horse

Post by Spikey Horse »

monkey man wrote:You're right Spike, and I do feel it's worthy of discussion sometime.

If I may finish your sentence:
there's nothing worse than trying to write when... you're chock full of pizza/McDonalds/Chocolate/Lollies etc.
I'm sure jgest would have lots to say on this too.

FWIW, junk food's role here is a significant part of the MonkeyBlame Suite•„• - Solutions for a Cyclical World paper I put out last year.
Of course, it's all broken down now, but I did put it out. :?
It's like you're feeling a bit :( so you eat loads of :?: and that makes you feel :D for a while.... then :) .... then :? ....

.. and then you're all like :oops: and eventually :shock: followed by :wink:

..... But seriously ..... yes most modern 'food' is poison, no question. The healthier you eat the more obvious a fact this becomes.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

... and the more profoundly crap will sabotage your creativity and focus.

Spot on, Spike. :D

MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Ratio of fresh vs existing musical material

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Spikey Horse wrote:My first venture into this forum :shock:

I'm just curious for all you prolific writers out there, who write for other people full time (which I certainly do not), what the ratio is between using genuinely new vs. stored away ideas for these kinds of projects.

Have you ever even accepted / declined a project based on what you have/don't have in your library of ideas that may be suitable for it?
Getting back on topic...

I don't think a professional composer will accept or decline an assignment based on whether or not he has a piece of music ready to go - at least this composer won't use that as a criteria. Certainly one might turn down an offer to write if the style is not within your experiences.

As far as using previously composed music vs. new music, that would have to be a decision based on the individual project, not as a "matter of course." On the plus side, it would appear that using extant music would save time in producing a score.. In fact, it can work against you more often than not and create a situation where you bang you head against the wall trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole.

You do see composers using the same theme over and over again on different projects. Thomas Newman has re-used the main theme from "A Beautiful Mind" in many other projects. You even hear it in commercials. This could certainly be thought of as thematic development over the course of a career, but in that case it seems like a direct quote and a simple repeat of a theme that (IMO) is really great. However, that is not the way composers in the past have developed thematically over the course of their careers; Beethoven's 3rd Sym. is as different from the 5th, the 7th and the 9th as can be, yet they all have the imprint that clearly says Beethoven.

So I think the thing to realize is that for many composers (and other artists as well) there are thematic ideas that we develop over many years; our trademark(s) if you will. There are certainly themes that composers (myself included) rework, but not exactly recycle, per se - if that makes sense. How these themes make there way back into our (or my) work and how they develop into something new and progressive (hopefully!) is sometimes surprising and very unexpected.

Hope that answers you a little, at least from my perspective.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Re: Ratio of fresh vs existing musical material

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Spikey Horse wrote:My first venture into this forum :shock:

Getting back on topic...

I don't think a professional composer will accept or decline an assignment based on whether or not he has a piece of music ready to go - at least this composer won't use that as a criteria. Certainly one might turn down an offer to write if the style is not within your experiences.

As far as using previously composed music vs. new music, that would have to be a decision based on the individual project, not as a "matter of course." On the plus side, it would appear that using extant music would save time in producing a score.. In fact, it can work against you more often than not and create a situation where you bang you head against the wall trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole.

You do see composers using the same theme over and over again on different projects. Thomas Newman has re-used the main theme from "A Beautiful Mind" in many other projects. You even hear it in commercials. This could certainly be thought of as thematic development over the course of a career, but in that case it seems like a direct quote and a simple repeat of a theme that (IMO) is really great. However, that is not the way composers in the past have developed thematically over the course of their careers; Beethoven's 3rd Sym. is as different from the 5th, the 7th and the 9th as can be, yet they all have the imprint that clearly says Beethoven.

So I think the thing to realize is that for many composers (and other artists as well) there are thematic ideas that we develop over many years; our trademark(s) if you will. There are certainly themes that composers (myself included) rework, but not exactly recycle, per se - if that makes sense. How these themes make there way back into our (or my) work and how they develop into something new and progressive (hopefully!) is sometimes surprising and very unexpected.

Hope that answers you a little, at least from my perspective.
Nice post, MLC.

I have a very large library of my own music that I've done through the years. When a piece becomes "liberated" (by contract), and there's a project that might benefit from that particular piece, I will occasionally show it to the director (probably I'll make a re-arrangement to fit the project better). If he likes the theme then I will take it and use it as is, or if needed, I will develop it, twist it, abuse it, etc.

Same with orchestration devices. As we know, a composer not only gets his "sound" from his themes, but also from the orchestration, harmony, and general idiosyncrasies.
I LOVE discovering these in their music. Elliot Goldenthal, for instance, uses his typical orchestration licks all the time (major 7th intervals with sustained horns over ostinatos). The SECOND you hear that you know who wrote it.

Like MLC wrote, those trademarks are developed over years of writing. Personally, I think that developing your own sound and trademarks are one of the highest rewards a composer can achieve.
Although I'm probably still a long way from obtaining that, that's one of my artistic goals.

To answer your question, SH, I would not decline a project just because I haven't done something similar before. On the contrary, I embrace them as a great opportunity to try new things or become acquainted with unknown styles.
I would only decline the assignment if I just do not like the style needed for it.

Being able to do research, identifying and grasping quickly the most important elements of whatever style you're investigating, and being able to incorporate those unique elements to your own writing assignment are one of the most important skills a Film Composer can have (aside from writing nicely, of course).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Dave Connor

Post by Dave Connor »

Ennio Moricone has boxes of misc., cues (quite literally.) These get drawn upon during his projects. Not that he doesn't write original music for films, he obviously does but a lot of this extant material gets used. A prominant film editor in Hollywood told me this since he had worked first hand with the great composer.
2012 Mac Pro 12 Core, OS 10.8.5, 64 gigs ram; 2408 (3), 308, DP 8.07 http://www.daveconnor.net