Monster Cables vs Coat Hangers

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
rentadrummer
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Monster Cables vs Coat Hangers

Post by rentadrummer »

Ron
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Classic

I posted the same thing under the Subject buying new speaker cables

:D
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
rentadrummer

Post by rentadrummer »

Sorry. Didn't see your post. :oops:
Ron
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

tis a OK :D

Personally I'm off to buy the slightly more expensive coat hanger as they have a warmer sound

:D

I wonder what Brad Lyons makes of this..
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
rcannonp

Post by rcannonp »

Painted white or bare?
15" MBP - 2.4 GHz, OS 10.4.11 :: DP 5.13, Reason 4, Live 6.0.7 :: MOTU 896 :: Korg MicroKontrol, Casio CDP-100
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Bare

Painted white effects the warmness of the sound and I've heard it will distort the summing in some DAWs but please don't tell anyone, I don't want to start internet rumours
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Once during my gigging days the band found itself short of a cable.
As there was a shortage of electrical gear on hand we had to make do with what we could find.

We laid a crowbar, a front fender from a Chev pickup, some chicken wire, a bunch of kitchen utensils and a brass monkey end to end.
You wouldn't read about it, but... it worked! :shock:

According to the highly inebriated crowd, we sounded fantastic. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

I hope not POWER cable

OR there could of been much poo flying :shock:
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

No worries there Mark; it was the desk main L out to FOH. :lol:

kassonica

Post by kassonica »

SPeaker cable eh

Classic rock n roll story Nicky with a happy ending

AHHHHHHHHHHHHh

If only life was like that

8)
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

If only. It sure can get crazy at times... like right now. :sad:

'Night Mark. Be good. :D

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I can hardly think of any purchases I have made over the years that have had a bigger impact than cables.

Having said that, I will never again buy a consumer-grade cable from Monster -- though their pro-grade cables are fine. The problem with the consumer-grade cables (the ones that deliberately have coloured sound and are sold most often in the Guitar Department) is bad soldering. They're guaranteed for life, but I had to return at least eight replacements in a row and finally demanded a refund, many years ago (maybe 2000-2001).

I have "good enough" cables to not want to prioritise an upgrade, due to the phenomenal cost. But when it comes to patch cables, I will only buy Mogami, pro-grade Monster, or Whirlwind/Canare. I have a few fallbacks when I need a specialty cable that the others don't make or that are hard to order/find.

For gigs, I only use Canare, as they are built for abuse and have great connections that are well-designed.

The new trend is borrowed from the Neutrik connectors that my company helped inspire through its specs many years back, and is a similar application of that concept to power connectors vs. IEC's which can slip out (though not as easily as AC wall wart daptors and floor lumps). This is also along the lines of recent trends for pro-level connecotors on Ethernet devices (vs. the standard telephoen terminator, on its own without protection or even as the terminator type to start with), and a few other less-than-robust cable/terminator types.

It doesn't have to cost more than twice as much (or even less) to get a cable that is 10x as good as a stock Guitar Centre special, and which will last much longer and be less likely to fail during a gig or session. Even the much-maligned high-end cables are mostly worth the extra money in terms of value added, but one always needs to identify the weakest link, and by the time one is ready to do that sort of wiring upgrade, often one will find that room acoustics and other considerations more easily justify additional expenditures and upgrades.

I agree, however, that fancy cables oriented towards guitarists and which claim to warm up the sound or make it more aggressive or whatever, is a bunch of marketing hype. The cables do indeed achieve those goals, but why would one want to use the cabling as part of the colouring of sound? Cables should be transparent, reliable, etc. But people are welcome to spend their money however they wish :-).

BTW, the general concept behind high-end cables is supposed to be that they're more efficient and thus don't lose any headroom and thereby preserve more of the musical content (if analog) or data flow (if digital). This goal is in line with the transparency principle; anything else is Flavour of the Month nonsense (which, again, people are welcome to spend on).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
WSVP
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by WSVP »

I personally feel that high priced cables are a lot of hype. I think there are plenty of bad cables out there and you will know when you find one. But I think it is virtually impossible to distinguish between good & great cables.

I stopped purchasing anything from Monster Cable after I heard about some of their business practices. They were filing lawsuits against any company that had the name "Monster" in their name (even little local companies that had nothing to do with cabling or audio). These lawsuits spawned a huge boycott of Monster Cable.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
madboy
Location: Just South of civility and West of common sense. Chainsaws accepted.

Post by madboy »

monkey man wrote:Once during my gigging days the band found itself short of a cable.
As there was a shortage of electrical gear on hand we had to make do with what we could find.

We laid a crowbar, a front fender from a Chev pickup, some chicken wire, a bunch of kitchen utensils and a brass monkey end to end.
You wouldn't read about it, but... it worked! :shock:

According to the highly inebriated crowd, we sounded fantastic. :lol:
There's no shortage of #2 with you :D
Square peg, round hole. Low viscous application purist. Anarchical thread hi-jacker.
It's not important to start the chainsaw, having it in the hotel lobby is usually enough.