best way to save mixer settings

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
moscow studio
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

best way to save mixer settings

Post by moscow studio »

hi, I have recorded 4 songs in one session and I want to transfer mixer settings form one project to the others. that's because I have mixed the drums in one project and I want to start mixing the others with the same settings, at least as a starting point.
How can I save the settings and load them into the other songs?
assuming that the tracks scheme is exactly the same, is it possible to save and load all the channels at once?
Dwetmaster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Dwetmaster »

Duplicate your chunk with the good mix
Drag the chunk from the other into it
Drag you sound files accordingly
erase the useless tracks
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
moscow studio

Post by moscow studio »

uh...
I'm quite new to DP and I've never used chunks. I read about them in the manual and at that time I didn't found an interest for them... :oops:
now my manual is in my studio and cannot check it.

but I suppose that chunks are some kind of unit inside the same project, and this is not my case because I've created 4 different projects.

I will surely read that part of the manual, but please confirme me that I can use this methode even if I the songs are in different files

thanks
Tim

Post by Tim »

Open the project that you want to add the other mixer settings to.

Go to File menu/Load and select the project with the mixer settings that you want. Highlight the Sequence (Chunk), and choose NOT to import/load soundbites.

Open the Chunks window: there should be two sequences there.

Double click on the 'mixer template' sequence to open it's tracks window (both tracks windows should be in view).

Copy and paste the track data.

Have a beer.
mesaken

Post by mesaken »

A chunkless way is to save the mix as a template. Create a new file with that template which is named appropriately. Open the song that you want to mix with those settings and copy the tracks in the SE. Paste the data from the SE into the newly created file's SE. You need to have the same number of tracks when you paste into the new template file.
airtime

Post by airtime »

om mani padme hommmmm
iMac11,1, 2.66 GHz, 8 GBRAM, OS 10.6.8, DP 7.24, MOTU 828mkII (BLA clock & analog mods), VoiceMaster Platinum, RNP preamps, 4 handmade mic pres, AKG C451E (vintage), AKG 460B, AT 4050, Red/Oktava, sE Z5600A, Shure 545 Unidyne III, Sennheiser MD21s, a few cobbled electret mics, Genelec 1030As, SVS subwoofer and a room that's honest if you're in the sweet spot.
PSPartyband

Post by PSPartyband »

you can also use clippings to save all your plug-in settings from your mixers channel strip
Mac Pro, 2 X 2.66 Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 8 GB ram, Snow Leopard, 10.6.7, DP 7.22, Logic Studio 9, Motu 896HD (Black Lion mod), coffee pot.
moscow studio

Post by moscow studio »

big thx to everyone!
monday I will give it a try!

one question about the clippings methode: is it possible to drag the whole channel in the clippings? what settings are retained (volume, pan, sends, plugs)? then I just drag from to clippings window to the channel I want to copy setting to?
Tim

Post by Tim »

moscow studio wrote:big thx to everyone!

one question about the clippings methode: is it possible to drag the whole channel in the clippings? what settings are retained (volume, pan, sends, plugs)? then I just drag from to clippings window to the channel I want to copy setting to?
That would be very cool, but no: only the plugins and their settings.

A whole track with it's volume, pan, sends, plugs can be stored as a clipping, but it can only be brought back as it's own track, that you'd still have to paste audio data into.
moscow studio

Post by moscow studio »

Tim wrote:
moscow studio wrote:big thx to everyone!

That would be very cool, but no: only the plugins and their settings.

A whole track with it's volume, pan, sends, plugs can be stored as a clipping, but it can only be brought back as it's own track, that you'd still have to paste audio data into.
it's a pity! in cubase you can :( also with multiples tracks
moscow studio

Post by moscow studio »

done!
it works, thank you