DP to Finale Tips/Tricks -or- DAW to Notation and back again

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP to Finale Tips/Tricks -or- DAW to Notation and back again

Post by Frodo »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: A feature in Finale I use a lot is "exploding" music. Allows me to write tight harmonies and divide them into a section quickly.
I like this feature, too-- although I wish there were more choices for where to explode or implode. Right now it's only on consecutive tracks-- or it will offer new tracks at the bottom of the score... which is rarely (if ever) desirable.

I must say, I've discovered that DP's Split Notes feature lets me work faster in this regard-- same as explode and imploding in Finale. Of course, few of my scores are 100% complete when first ported via SMF, so implode/explode comes in handy in Finale when needed.

Once I've finished entering MIDI notes in DP, I'll create a new set of tracks inside a folder in score order. All the flute 1 articulations go into the new flute 1 track and so on. Imploding/exploding with Split Notes in DP for an entire orchestral score only takes me about 3-4 minutes. Only the new imploded tracks are ported out as an SMF.

Otherwise, Finale takes me 30-60 minutes on average to do the same thing per score.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Frodo wrote:...

I must say, I've discovered that DP's Split Notes feature lets me work faster in this regard-- same as explode and imploding in Finale. Of course, few of my scores are 100% complete when first ported via SMF, so implode/explode comes in handy in Finale when needed.

Once I've finished entering MIDI notes in DP, I'll create a new set of tracks inside a folder in score order. All the flute 1 articulations go into the new flute 1 track and so on. Imploding/exploding with Split Notes in DP for an entire orchestral score only takes me about 3-4 minutes. Only the new imploded tracks are ported out as an SMF.

Otherwise, Finale takes me 30-60 minutes on average to do the same thing per score.
Great tip! Maybe we should start a Finale tip sheet? :) OK, make it a notation tip sheet. But certainly relevant to using DP in conjunction with notation and I would think the composing area would be appropriate.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Great tip! Maybe we should start a Finale tip sheet? :) OK, make it a notation tip sheet. But certainly relevant to using DP in conjunction with notation and I would think the composing area would be appropriate.
LOL-- thanks. Some of that comes with a measure of blood and sweat from over the past 3-4 months! It's largely a refinement of what I'd been doing anyway.

Basically, I had to look at all the silly things I dreaded dealing with in Finale and then assess how much of that could be avoided by setting it up in DP first. Where some things take about the same effort or where Finale wins over DP, I'll do those tasks in Finale. But I had no idea just how much faster I could soar using Split Notes in DP.

One of the things that still bugs me is that DP still won't save GM file names. Once the SMF is opened in Finale, I always have to create groups just to avoid eye clutter. With more unusual combos of instruments, I have to put in a track name for at least that one instrument. Very time-consuming.

Another trick that works quite well for me is for piano parts: I'll avoid the Grand Staff in DP in favor of the R and L hands on two different MIDI channels. Grand Staff split points drive me nuts in both apps, and they NEVER look right. Among the prefs when opening the SMF in Finale, I'm select "retain voice 2", and the piano part looks a whole lot closer to what I'd want for the final result.

I'll go through the SMF in Finale and edit out all the needless double sharps and double flats where appropriate, and fix any quantization or tuplet interpretation errors.

Once that's done, I'm left with a pretty generic score. I'll make a proper template that matches measure numbers, key sigs and time sigs, then it's a matter of just copying and pasting the data from the SMF "sketch" into the final template. This is done in a matter of seconds.

One thing that still gets to me is doing timp, perc, and harp in DP for use in Finale. Often, VI samples are mapped differently than symphony players find useful. I've not been able to come up with a standard map for DP that works in Finale most of the time, so I'll just compose these parts from scratch directly in Finale. What sounds right in DP can look hideous in Finale, so I'll just skip these instruments in DP. Both DP and Finale assume way too much that go well beyond my level of patience with customizing this stuff.

If the project requires an audio track, it's easier and faster to go back and toss those into DP under a different project name, especially once the parts have been completed in Finale.

That's the latest from the shire.
MIDI Life Crisis

OK, Frodo, now you've done it. These tips are too good in just any old topic. I've split the topic into a new one. We were so far off the initial topic and I just didn't want to see your pearls of wisdom lost in limbo.

Thanks, my friend. I'll be using everything you said. I feel like I owe you a theme or something :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Dude-- you really did sift through my blabber fairly thoroughly, didn't you? LOL!

Of course, if YOU have some tips I'll be keeping my eyes peeled.

What I really want to dig further into is Logic 8's Score. I'd like to develop some sort of workflow with that and do some printing tests to see how far it (or I) cam go. I'd also like to see if it plays any nicer with Finale, but I can already tell you that entering notes in DP will always be tons faster for me.

We may have talked about this before-- but I'll put it in here anyway:

http://www.virtualinstrumentsmag.com/download.html

Scroll down to June/July where it says:
From Sketch to Score
MIDI import - cleaned.pdf (121kb)
MIDI import - messy.pdf (148kb)
Mojo Madness Score - Stage 1.pdf (96kb)
Mojo Madness Score - Stage 2-v3.pdf (116kb)
Mojo Madness.mp3 (2.1 mb)
Mojo Madness - uncleaned midifile.mid (75 k)
Mojo Madness - cleaned midifile.mid (75 k)

mindmeld version 1.08 (19.36mb zip)
UFO_demo (407kb mp3)
Control Voltage Patches (7k zip)
Buick Sessions 2 (2.2mb zip)
These are downloadable files, including an mp3, several SMFs and PDFs. It's pretty cool.
MIDI Life Crisis

Well, once again it's you and me in a thread :) Heck, the others either don't know what they're missin' or we're the only two folks to care about such matters...

Thanks for the link. I think I may also have to change the subject a wee bit...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Well, once again it's you and me in a thread :) Heck, the others either don't know what they're missin' or we're the only two folks to care about such matters...
The thread's still pretty young. Others may be doing something more constructive, like participating in one of a series of pre holiday parties instead of geeking out online.

In fact, I need to get back to my Formula 409...! :shock: