2408/324 clicks with ext sync: help needed!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
pinup57
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

2408/324 clicks with ext sync: help needed!

Post by pinup57 »

Hi

Thanks for reading my post....hopefuly someone could share some insight here.

When I sync my PCI324/2408MKII combo either to wordclock or s/p-dif (all I have available) the audio clicks (permanently), but this is ONLY when the 2408mkII is linked to the pci324 card: This does NOT happen in standalone mode. (I checked the clock source and cables which work fine with any other equipment as well). I can attenuate this somewhat by tweaking the clock phase, but not much.

So I suspect either the PCI324 card, or some BIOS setting maybe, or some conflicting equipment????

It had worked OK before (I don't need syncing to ext clock often, only the few times I need to record more than 8 tracks at once, if something did change on my system that would have triggered this malfunction, I definitely can't say what: what I can say is that my system is stable and that the last item changed was my videocard some 2 years ago).

Any help would be highly appreciated!!!!

Thanks
Dirk
cabl3gu7

Re: Clicks

Post by cabl3gu7 »

I had this too in exactly the same way as you describe. There was NO fix for it...!!! I subsequently bought an 828mkii USB and that crashes....!!

Great drivers motu, thanks!
wickedgtr1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by wickedgtr1 »

Can you post your system specs, and exactly what you are interfacing with the 2408?

I will do my best to help out... I had a 2408MKII and loved it... sold it for two 896HD's ... wish I had stayed with the 2408 ...
damonleibert
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

possible answer

Post by damonleibert »

I had very similar problem. P4 with Win2K, 324 with two 2408 mkII's. The second mkII was purchased after Motu told me I had hardware failure. It wasn't.

My system had always worked flawlessly with the Word Clock set to internal (324). But when we renovated our studio we purchased an external word clock (Antelope Isocrone OCX). With external BNC word clock we had all kinds of jitter, and bad sync. Even if we hadn't bough the new word clock, I would have never been able to get the 2408s to sync with any external (BNC only) word clock. Solutions:? MOTU, Sweetwater, and Antelope all were stumped.

Finally I got a MOTU tech guy who thought my P4's chipset could be incompatible, and the result could do some tricky things such as bad sync or jitter. I bought my fourth MOTU device, the mkIII and it now works! I probably could have just bought the newer 424 card, but the extra $200 for the mkIII used was worth doing that upgrade as well since MOTU sells the 242 for $300. Hard to find sepereate.

What i find odd is that the devices seemingly all worked fine with the MOTU's internal clock.

Hope this helps.

I spent 6 weeks troubleshooting between sessions and other gigs, tried every troubleshooting step I or the manf. could think up. This post is just a summary: Upgrade to the 424 card. Motu has a posting of incompatibilities of their 324 card on their site.
freqy

Post by freqy »

hello i havent got time to read the other replies

but yes you are right .....there are a few drivers for this card i have one that enables spidf to work clean ...but will stop the wav out working.

i have one that enables the wav out ...burt stops the spidif working.

totally crazy.

i can email you the driver for spidf out ...but you wont be able to play mp3s out of your machine.

freqy
freqy

Post by freqy »

emu rule and they are gonna get much better. so wait a while for the next series of sound cards.
freqy

Post by freqy »

so yeah if i want to use spidf out ...i have to reinstall the card....if i then want to hear an mp3 i have to reinstall the card..( i think i found a method to just update the driver but soon after i bought an emu 1616m so i rarley use this card ...unless im doing serious multitracking.

so im gonna keep it. when it works its awesome.

i thought it was just me with this problem. in a way i wish it was justme , but at least i know now.

freqs