Since Polar is self contained....

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
slipstytch
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Since Polar is self contained....

Post by slipstytch »

Can it be used all by it's self? Is it possible to slave it to another DAW? I love Ableton...simple enough for my mind, but no sound on sound looping....Polar is great but I'm sure I'm dreaming as Polar seems to not be able to stay open with out DP running.
Go ahead laugh, I am, but i'd love for this dream to come true.....and yes I could get superlooper or others...but I don't want to spend money and already have DP....but i'm sure i'll will eventually. I've still barely scratched DP but Polar absolutely rocks in a RAM kind of way.
Peace unicorn people
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by monkey man »

Unfortunately the answer to both your questions is "no", slipster. :sad:

Other than perhaps to try MachFive or even Live, I've nothing to add, I'm afraid.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
vier-personen

Post by vier-personen »

you can try this freeware:

http://lloopp.klingt.org/plone/lloopp

I think you can use this with the free runtime version of max/msp, but I am not really sure...
DP 5.12/OS X 10.4.9/MacBook C2D 2.0 1GB Ram/RME Fireface 400
emulatorloo

Re: Since Polar is self contained....

Post by emulatorloo »

slipstytch wrote:but I don't want to spend money and already have DP....but i'm sure i'll will eventually.
Well, why not use it in DP then??????

BTW, nice Polar tutorial movie here:

http://www.magicd.com/

click the link on the left that says:

MOTU POLAR Movie

---
slipstytch

Re: Since Polar is self contained....

Post by slipstytch »

emulatorloo wrote:
slipstytch wrote:but I don't want to spend money and already have DP....but i'm sure i'll will eventually.
Well, why not use it in DP then??????

---
Because I understand Live much better and would rather make music than learn much more DP at this time. I've been back and forth between the 2 because Live sound quality sucked until I figured out how to fully turn off the warp mode. Each program has it's own, DP's editing is better and effects blow Live's away. As far as I can see DP is better as a whole for recording, but I've learned how to sequence/record on to a computer in a crash course fashion for the past 9 months and my hand has seen more mouse than any instruments.....artistically frustrating. So it's really down to my own personal experience and the path so far.
Polar is brilliant but I can't slave DP to Live....so I can't get audio into Live that way :? But it still works to do audio work in Live first, and then turn on DP for Polar fun. The fun thing about Live is it's quite performable!

Thanks everyone! Ya'all are sweet! And thanks vier for the looper I'll get on it soon.
Once I have enough put together in Live, I'll be in the shed again with DP for mixdown :D
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

U both at the same time Rewire Live into DP easy as peasy.

Look it up in your manual
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
slipstytch

Post by slipstytch »

kassonica wrote:U both at the same time Rewire Live into DP easy as peasy.

I actually need to try this, for some reason i havn't tried because i read in a manual that audio can't go to the slaved app., only MIDI can go both ways. If I find that I can get audio into live while it's slaved to DP i will definately be back here with a jaw dropped open. DP 4.61 will not act as a slave.
if it works, i'll let you know.
+peace!
J.Daniels

Post by J.Daniels »

Polar is the only reason i use DP. If it was a standalone product, i would buy 5 copies and use it with another app like live. For some reason, i find the actual workflow of DP very sluggish and unintuitive.

Im thinking of using rewire with live but i would hate to constantly be converting those damn SD2 files...
gearboy

Post by gearboy »

slipstytch wrote:
kassonica wrote:U both at the same time Rewire Live into DP easy as peasy.

I actually need to try this, for some reason i havn't tried because i read in a manual that audio can't go to the slaved app., only MIDI can go both ways. If I find that I can get audio into live while it's slaved to DP i will definately be back here with a jaw dropped open. DP 4.61 will not act as a slave.
if it works, i'll let you know.
+peace!
J.Daniels wrote:Polar is the only reason i use DP. If it was a standalone product, i would buy 5 copies and use it with another app like live. For some reason, i find the actual workflow of DP very sluggish and unintuitive.

Im thinking of using rewire with live but i would hate to constantly be converting those damn SD2 files...

I use DP4.61 and Live5.2 Rewired together all of the time. Even if DP is the master you can still work in Live, you simply can't use AU or VST plug-ins in Live when in Rewire mode. All of Live's Native plug-ins work, though, and you can use the AU plug-ins in DP. It is easy to integrate the two and takes about 2 minutes to set up.

http://www.ableton.com/pages/rewire/dp_4

Seriously, this is your solution. Don't be afraid to learn!

Jeff
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

My recording blog: http://www.ipressrecord.com
slipstytch

Post by slipstytch »

Thanks John, i guess I should have mentioned that yes it is indeed an amazing combo. But my whole problem is that I can't get any audio into Live through DP on the fly to fill clips. Seems like it's not possible nor an option.

When Rewired the slave can only receive MIDI.
Please correct me if i'm wrong, that would be great!

if only polar was a plug, but it looks like i've gotta get a looper. Still havn't tried the max looper yet, cuz i'm afraid i'll get sucked into creating patches instead of music...Musolomo looks interesting....
+PAZ+
blue

Post by blue »

slipstytch wrote:When Rewired the slave can only receive MIDI.
Please correct me if i'm wrong, that would be great!
You are not wrong.
MP 2.93 GHz Quad :: 16 GB RAM :: OS 10.6.2 :: DP 7.11