Help Me Sync 2 896HDs by external word clock. Please.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
wickedgtr1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Help Me Sync 2 896HDs by external word clock. Please.

Post by wickedgtr1 »

I have two 896HD's. I am unable to get the Motu's to lock to an external word clock, in the driver you can only choose one motu to select word clock in.

If I only hook one motu at a time and set them to sync to external word clock, and have the word clock hooked to both, they sync instantly, and automatically detect changes on the clock (like if I switch from 44.1, to 48khz). Then I can only Record 8 Analog INs

When both motu's are hooked to firewire and to the pc, after launching cuemix, vegas, or any application that accesses the motu, they lose all sync, the one set to look at word clock in, syncs right away, and the other will sit there for a random length of time unable to sync usually about 5-10 minutes.

Once they sync, it seems to record okay; and it hasnt lost sync, that i've noticed while recording, but any changes causes them to lose sync again.

I need to be able to record with all 16 tracks at the same time - I relieze that I can use the adat to record all 16 tracks at the same time, but thats not at 88.2, 96, 176.4, or 192 -- Which is the reason I purchased the 896HD's and sold my 2408mkII and behringer ada-8000 (which seems like a bad choice right now)

I am using a Aardvark AardSync II (I know it only supports upto 96K) to generate word clock - the clock is supposed to be about equal with the Big Ben, just not as many features (or 192) --

Which brings me to my second question, does the motu upconvert the word clock -- for example if I supply 48/96 can it up sample to 192?

Also, what does the multi-wave sync setting do exactly in the driver?

Just in-case here are my PC specs, if there are any known issues:

Intel Core 2 Duo 3Ghz
2Gb DDR2 800
evga nvidia 680i
Areca ARC-1220 (PCIe) Raid 6 Card
8 * 300 GB Sata II HD's (raid 6)
2x7900GS
2xAntec NeoHE 550Watt PSUs
Creative X-Fi
Windows XP SP2

The on-board firewire is reported as Texas Instruments - I will get a add-in card if there is logical evidence that this is the problem.
endrithius

Post by endrithius »

I am definately subscribed to this thread. While I don't have the answer - I want to know for future reference. Any help is appreciated guys!
wickedgtr1

Post by wickedgtr1 »

Please help... we are recording thursday, I need this to work without waiting 10 minutes after any change.
wickedgtr1

Post by wickedgtr1 »

Does anyone have any ideas at all? Anything?
wickedgtr1

Post by wickedgtr1 »

Well I answered one of my questions...

If you supply the Motu's 44.1/48 WC and set the motu 88.2/96 it will double the Word Clock Signal.

Then if you set the motu to 176.4/192 it will multi the clock by 4 allowing it to run off the 44.1/48.

Neat.

Too bad I Can't get both motu's to Sync off word clock.
wickedgtr1

Post by wickedgtr1 »

there is no way that I know of to set both 896's to external word clock

the audio setup only allows one motu to be set as the clock

ie [1] 896HD Word Clock In
or
[2] 896HD Word Clock In

We are using seperate outputs of the aardvark aardsync ii.

I can get the motu's to lock by external clock perfectly...

1. Plug in only the second motu to pc.

2. Set this motu to external word clock. (set inputs to go out ADAT)

3. Disconnect and connect the first motu to the pc.

4. Set this motu to external word clock.

5. using adat cables connect the motu's to each other

So basically only one 896hd is connected to the computer, while the other one is connected via adat lightpipe to the other motu, and both are connected to serperate outputs on the clock generator.

It works great like this, and both motu's immediately change clocks with the aardvark.

But no recording at anything above 48k --- Anyone have some ideas?
wickedgtr1

Post by wickedgtr1 »

I am pretty sure that after finishing this recording session I am going to sell the moto's and write horrible reviews for the units.

Thier support is pretty much worthless --- I've had a "tech note" on thier site since 10/24/2007 16:48:00 -- they just replied - as in minutes ago (mail goes to my blackberry) and they asked questions that the answers were in the post.

I feel this is extremely terrible support, for a product that costs about $1000
zara_drummer

Post by zara_drummer »

Correct me if Im wrong but doesnt one of the MOTU's serve as the clock and the other serve as the slave to that clock??

I slaved a 896hd off of an ADA8000 with no problems...currently I'm slaving a Forcusrite 26 i/o off of an 8pre via ADAT...

If you cant get it working with the external clock, than I'd try the Master/Slave method...MOTU clock isn't THAT bad!! lol ;)

Good luck
wickedgtr1

Post by wickedgtr1 »

the reason i purchased the external clock was the two motu's would take 5-10 minutes to sync on their own, no matter which was set to master.

And then, if I open cuemix, or vegas, or any audio app it would lose sync.

(and if you have in-ear monitors in this really sucks)

Once they "lock" together, it seems to work ok while recording.

And Matt... I know you... Mr. Zara Drummer... Say hi to steve, and becca

lol.
wickedgtr1

Post by wickedgtr1 »

and it has no problem slave/master through the adat...

right now how I am recording is like this....

PC FW
| AARDSYNC
| / /
896HD_1 ------------------------/ / <--- Word Clock Cables
| | <--- Adat IN/OUT /
| | <---/ /
| | /
896HD_2 -----------------------|

Only one 896HD is connected to the PC through Firewire.

They are both set to Word Clock in...

Hook only one motu to PC. Set that motu to word clock in.

Then disconnect (and never hook back up or you'll have to repeat the process) and connect the other motu --- now set that to work clock in.

Now to pass the audio to the second connect the in/out to the out/in of the respective motu's and connect the word out cables from the aardsync to the word in of the two moto(s).

This method works great, the two motu's sync instantly, and its kinda fun to play back music, and change the clock during the song, and "speed" up or slow down the music...

BUT there is no recording above 48khz...
wickedgtr1

Post by wickedgtr1 »

well... it destroys the formating of my diagram.

Check that... I love MSPAINT. lol.[/img]