Could you guys take look in this post?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
jeronimo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Could you guys take look in this post?

Post by jeronimo »

I did a test with DP 5.12 and Logic 8 and posted some mp3s on this topic

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/logic-8- ... dp-l8.html

Please share your comments!!!
grimepoch

Post by grimepoch »

I could very easily tell that O was DP with my experience of using DP. Mostly because I have experimented VERY THOROUGHLY with LOGIC and DPs pan laws as they are NOT the same. Because of this, when you translate the pan settings between the two, Logic volume levels on the pans change more rapidly and, well, the Munsen curves take over from that point! :)

So when people say it sounds WIDER or more DYNAMIC, what they hear is a lot of difference in the volume levels, and true enough, they do sound wider because you are not hearing so much of say any track in the L and R as you were before, now it will be more in that particular speaker.

I use both programs and find I can get the exact same results in both, sound wise, but then again, I use my free panning plugin (PAEIN) where I can set my own pan law curves and use it in BOTH applications (you can get it from www.asylumstudioproductions.com)

:)
[MacPro-4x2.66/7G/OSX10.5.2 - 2x896HD - ADA8000 - Lucid Genx6 - DP5.13 - Logic 8.02 - 2xUAD1e - ExpressXT - Mach5 - MX4 - Korg LegD - impOSCar - Battery3 - uTonic - Rapture - DimPro - Vanguard - Reaktor5 - Absynth4 - FM8 - Pro53 - Vokator - Waldorf Ed - Addictive Drums - Melodyne - Ultra Analog - Zebra2 - WaveArts - - Altiverb - Etc. ]
[Virus TI - Virus B - Waldorf Q - Waldorf uwXT - Supernova II - Nord Rack 3 - JP8080 - XV5080 - Fantom X7 - Triton Rack - Pro/cussion]
zaster

Post by zaster »

But Logic lets you choose between 3 different pan laws, I just read in the manual. (Not that I understand this pan law stuff anyway...)
grimepoch

Post by grimepoch »

It does, but they still don't exactly track DP. DP's curve is linear whereas Logics curve is more exponential. So it doesn't matter if you use +3 +6 or -3, if the curves are different for the L and R channel, they will sound different.

For a quick lesson. The reason for the pan laws is simple. If you take a MONO source and output it on stereo speakers, you have duplicated the sound in essence which is +6dB. I forget why they chose +3 or even +3.5 but something to do with apparent loudness.

Anyways, if a signal is panned center, you bring down the audio to retain the same loudness as if you were playing it out of one speaker.

As you pan either left or right, you remove your attenuation because at full left or full right you want the full sound since it really is coming out of one speaker!

The difference in + or - is that you have a choice. You can either add gain as the signal pans to make the loudness the same, or what is more commonly used, you can take gain away in center, and remove that as you pan (subtractive versus additive pan-law).

This is the very simple answer by the way! :)

My plugin allows you to set the type, levels, curves and amount of the gain. It VERY configurable so you can set what you feel sounds natural as we all have different tastes.
[MacPro-4x2.66/7G/OSX10.5.2 - 2x896HD - ADA8000 - Lucid Genx6 - DP5.13 - Logic 8.02 - 2xUAD1e - ExpressXT - Mach5 - MX4 - Korg LegD - impOSCar - Battery3 - uTonic - Rapture - DimPro - Vanguard - Reaktor5 - Absynth4 - FM8 - Pro53 - Vokator - Waldorf Ed - Addictive Drums - Melodyne - Ultra Analog - Zebra2 - WaveArts - - Altiverb - Etc. ]
[Virus TI - Virus B - Waldorf Q - Waldorf uwXT - Supernova II - Nord Rack 3 - JP8080 - XV5080 - Fantom X7 - Triton Rack - Pro/cussion]