L8 innovation-This feature is a MUST have for any future DAW

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
zaster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by zaster »

Frodo wrote:Has anyone heard from Zaster recently? :wink:
Why you little!!!
:lol:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'd like to see this too. Although, honestly my experience has been that from take to take timing will vary just a little and I'd like something that basically did this but then moved all the pieces to a new take/track butted up against each other, but WITHOUT automatic crossfades. We could then use the roll-edit to line things up better. I generally feel better drawing my own crossfades in, something automatic might be okay as the crossfade follows the edge edit, and you could adjust the crossfades that were too long or too short, etc.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

I'm happy with DP in this regard, except it sure would be nice to be able to open all the takes together (not add more tracks thoug), as half the editing and choosing could be done visually then.
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Mr_Clifford wrote:I don't understand what's so hard about DP 'takes' management system. It's essentially exactly the same as Pro Tools' Playlist system, and I can comp together takes in no time flat, whether it's a single vocalist or 24 grouped tracks of orchestra. No need for any "muting, soloing & dragging".

I know the new Logic system looks fairly impressive, but personally I'm pretty happy with the current system in DP. And I can't see how the logic system would be much good for anything other than a single instrument (ie. lead vocal).

I still think the best take management system is a piece of paper with take notes on it.
I haven't used Logic's comping system yet, but I tend to agree with you. And I've never had much trouble with DP's way of doing things. I drag my takes out into tracks, anyway, and it's so easy to automate them. I start out with all set to ? (infinity, if that symbol doesn't show up on this forum software), and I just raise the levels of the takes I want in the sections I want, then bounce to disk. Sometimes that doesn't work so well since the takes don't line up perfectly, so I have to copy, paste, and crossfade, but usually it's pretty close. It at least allows me to work with the takes until I get them like I want them.

Now that we have track folders, I don't use takes anymore. I use COMMAND-CONTROL-S. (Add similar track) It's faster than changing takes, and they're all sitting out there where you can see them and manipulate them. Look ma, no dragging! Just raise the faders here and there, while lowering them there and here. You only have to do the "real" comp when you get it all the way you want it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:Now that we have track folders, I don't use takes anymore. I use COMMAND-CONTROL-S. (Add similar track) It's faster than changing takes, and they're all sitting out there where you can see them and manipulate them. Look ma, no dragging! Just raise the faders here and there, while lowering them there and here. You only have to do the "real" comp when you get it all the way you want it.
MY problem with Add Similar Track is that I may have some plugs on the track and Add Similar doesn't duplicate the plugs, does it? I know I'm constantly using "Duplicate Track" and then Deleting any audio in the current take and deleting all takes except the main one. I'd like a command that added Similar track WITH same plugs in place as the source track.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

James Steele wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Now that we have track folders, I don't use takes anymore. I use COMMAND-CONTROL-S. (Add similar track) It's faster than changing takes, and they're all sitting out there where you can see them and manipulate them. Look ma, no dragging! Just raise the faders here and there, while lowering them there and here. You only have to do the "real" comp when you get it all the way you want it.
MY problem with Add Similar Track is that I may have some plugs on the track and Add Similar doesn't duplicate the plugs, does it? I know I'm constantly using "Duplicate Track" and then Deleting any audio in the current take and deleting all takes except the main one. I'd like a command that added Similar track WITH same plugs in place as the source track.
DP's solution (?) is probably Polar - do you guys use this? I'd prefer what James said, but ultimately if we could add takes, then kind of like track folders, just open up all of them.
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
wheever

Post by wheever »

It sure is interesting to hear the way DP lets people do the same things in whatever manner suits them. (Shooshie, you get the nod for method I find least intuitive to me. :D )

L8's new comping doesn't seem particularly faster or better than the way I already work; actually it seems a lot less flexible and might even be more cumbersome for me.

My comping style is:
Start with a stack o' takes and a comp track; flip though the takes splitting and dragging over the bits I like. (So, for example, I'm looking for one word or phrase, I'll set a rewind point and cycle through while hitting "next take" until I find the one I want. Pretty fast. No muting necessary, since you're only hearing the take you're auditioning.)

So really, when I'm comping there are only two tracks I'm working with: The source track with all the takes, and the comp track. Most people seem to like having all their takes in separate tracks, which appears to be what Logic addresses. So yet another reason for me not to buy Logic?

I think this is one of DP's biggest strengths--and the strength of any mature app--that it lets you accomplish a task in whatever way you prefer.

...if only the fonts were larger... :wink:
Performer user since--HOLY CR*P--1986? YIKES!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

JLaudon wrote:DP's solution (?) is probably Polar - do you guys use this? I'd prefer what James said, but ultimately if we could add takes, then kind of like track folders, just open up all of them.
Actually, I've only read about Polar in the manual once. But, from what I remember, it could be a nice alternative.
I've always wanted to try Polar, but for whatever reason I haven't yet.

Who here has actually used it? Did you like it? Does it work as a viable technique for comps, or is it more designed for other kinds of work?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

wheever wrote:It sure is interesting to hear the way DP lets people do the same things in whatever manner suits them. (Shooshie, you get the nod for method I find least intuitive to me. :D )

LOL! :D

'taint for everyone! But honestly, once you get past the words of the post, it's so darned fast and easy! Then, after you get an arsenal of techniques like that, you can sort of see the moves coming, say, 3 moves out, so you're ready for them. Then working in DP gets to be a blast. I used to go to work thinking "man, this is the greatest job on earth. How'd I get to be so lucky?"

It's all just a matter of what you want out of it. As they say, to each his own way.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
wheever

Post by wheever »

Shooshie wrote:
It's all just a matter of what you want out of it. As they say, to each his own way.

Shooshie
Absolutely! Which is why this new Logic comping thing seems so irrelevant . As Frodo said someplace up thread, it's damned close to making you work the way the program says you should...which seems to be an Apple design tendency of late.
Performer user since--HOLY CR*P--1986? YIKES!
zaster

Post by zaster »

wheever wrote:. As Frodo said someplace up thread, it's damned close to making you work the way the program says you should...which seems to be an Apple design tendency of late.
I don't know if there's some paranoia of control/domination going on around here, but I would like to clarify, for anyone who's wondering- There is no one making you do anything their way or telling you what to do:

You record a bunch of takes/passes over the same track.

Instead of being behind a little "take1, take2" menu, as in DP, they are in a folder on the track.

If you want to go into the folder and comp them all together using the spooky new comp feature, it's just like an exploded view of the one track you are already on. No need to add any new tracks, similar, duplicate or otherwise.

Don't like that? OK- select the folder and choose "Unpack Folder To New Tracks" if you want Logic to make a new track for each take for you.

But you might not like Logic exerting even that much control over your process and prefer to create your own tracks and move the takes over to each one by hand. So a simple "Unpack" will leave them all stacked on top of each other on the original track, exactly as they would have been if you'd recorded a buch of passes in DP with the overdub button enabled. You can even use "Add Similar" to make your new tracks! (Although it is true they have a presumptuous little button for that right above the track list, feel free to ignore that and set up a "CTRL-COMMAND-S" key command instead- you'll forget you ever left home!)
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

I've been cautious about "add similar tracks" which has been seriously buggy in old DP3 days.

Yesterday I tried it :
- trying to adjust inputs and outputs in the new added track, DP just vanished...

Think those old days are back ?
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
zaster

Post by zaster »

daniel.sneed wrote:I've been cautious about "add similar tracks" which has been seriously buggy in old DP3 days.

Yesterday I tried it :
- trying to adjust inputs and outputs in the new added track, DP just vanished...

Think those old days are back ?
Really? I use it like every 10 minutes, never had a problem. (Still 5.11 though!)