The "27 Club" - Weird

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Resonant Alien
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

The "27 Club" - Weird

Post by Resonant Alien »

Never heard of this, but stumbled across it on the web. List of musicians who died at age 27. Creepy.......

Robert Johnson
Kurt Cobain
Brian Jones
Jimi Hendrix
Janis Joplin
Pigpen (Grateful Dead)
Dave Alexander (Stooges)
Peter Ham (Badfinger)
Kristen Pfaff (Hole)
Johnny Kidd
D. Boon (Minutemen)
Alan Wilson (Canned Heat)
Gary Thain (Uriah Heep)
Mia Zapata (The Gits)
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The "27 Club" - Weird

Post by Shooshie »

Resonant Alien wrote:Never heard of this, but stumbled across it on the web. List of musicians who died at age 27. Creepy.......

Robert Johnson
Kurt Cobain
Brian Jones
Jimi Hendrix
Janis Joplin
Pigpen (Grateful Dead)
Dave Alexander (Stooges)
Peter Ham (Badfinger)
Kristen Pfaff (Hole)
Johnny Kidd
D. Boon (Minutemen)
Gary Thain (Uriah Heep)
Mia Zapata (The Gits)
You should see the list of musicians who died when they were 65! ;)

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Matcher

Post by Matcher »

Resonant Alien wrote:Never heard of this, but stumbled across it on the web. List of musicians who died at age 27. Creepy.......

Robert Johnson
Kurt Cobain
Brian Jones
Jimi Hendrix
Janis Joplin
Pigpen (Grateful Dead)
Dave Alexander (Stooges)
Peter Ham (Badfinger)
Kristen Pfaff (Hole)
Johnny Kidd
D. Boon (Minutemen)
Gary Thain (Uriah Heep)
Mia Zapata (The Gits)
Thanks for the heads up man, gotta start working on my will..
MBP i7, OSX 10.7.4
Spikey Horse

Post by Spikey Horse »

Interestingly, according to astrology, 27 is the last year of 'youth' before one hits the 'Saturn Return' which takes you into true adulthood. So if you want to 'live fast and die young' you must make sure you die before 28-30!

But seriously.... if you read the following description of the how the SR challenges us and then consider the characters (and vulnerabilities) of those who 'didn't make it through' it makes a lot of sense.

... and for anybody younger than 28 it is a good warning for times that lie ahead!

About Saturn Return:

http://newage-directory.com/saturn.html

Some snippets below:

'Astrologers call the period between ages twenty-eight and thirty "Saturn Return." That's because it's the first time the planet Saturn completes its cycle through your birth chart and returns to the spot it occupied when you were born......

....... Few people describe Saturn Return as a pleasant period. While undergoing your Saturn Return you may find yourself turning inward and reflecting on your individual destiny. You examine your true needs and desires and the role you want to play on the world's stage. You may feel lonely and alienated from those around you, while family and friends think you are shutting them out........

......The first Saturn Return marks the end of youth and the beginning of the productive adult years......

......Saturn strips away illusions and points out limitations, allowing you to view yourself in a harsh, often unflattering light.......

........ Saturn. . . is never easy to deal with because his function is that of promoting growth....... it is only frustration and pain which at present are sufficient goads to get a human being moving..... This frustration and pain have given Saturn a bad reputation. But the planet's often misunderstood value lies in its very ability to evoke pain. Like the pain of an illness, it warns that something is wrong. Saturn doesn't create the problems, it merely illuminates them.....

......Saturn Return is one of the most crucial turning points you ever experience, when you assume the greatest responsibility of all: responsibility for your own life......
content is the new style
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

Sad thing is, I only know about 2.5 of the names on that list!
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
gearboy

Post by gearboy »

Mia Zapata (The Gits)

This is the only name/death that I didn't know on that list.

Why?

Because I am older than 27!
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

My recording blog: http://www.ipressrecord.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Spikey Horse wrote:....... Few people describe Saturn Return as a pleasant period. While undergoing your Saturn Return you may find yourself turning inward and reflecting on your individual destiny. You examine your true needs and desires and the role you want to play on the world's stage. You may feel lonely and alienated from those around you, while family and friends think you are shutting them out........
When Saturn returned in my life, it brought with it a new blonde girlfriend for me, who had the largest and most beautiful boobs I had ever seen, plus she had been a prize winning hula dancer in Hawaii, and she loved to demonstrate (topless) her artistry for me. It was the greatest year of my life.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

To add to that list although their not quite 27

Robert Johnson 26
Tim Buckley 28
Jeff Buckley 30

Yes the saturn return does it seem have a lot of weight
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
gearboy

Post by gearboy »

Shooshie wrote:
When Saturn returned in my life, it brought with it a new blonde girlfriend for me, who had the largest and most beautiful boobs I had ever seen, plus she had been a prize winning hula dancer in Hawaii, and she loved to demonstrate (topless) her artistry for me. It was the greatest year of my life.

Shooshie
I almost made this my signature.
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

robstudio

Post by robstudio »

that was the funniest thing I've read in a long time .... Shooshie, you're a talented dude .... thanks for the howl
Regards, Rob
Mac Pro 2x2.66GHz, 3 GB Ram, OS10.4.11 (not using 10.5), DP5.13, 2408mKIII, 2408mKII, 328 Digital Console (x2), FostexD2424, Micro Lite, QSR, SPX90, URS, PSP, Altiverb, Alphatrack, Shuttle
wheever

Post by wheever »

I don't think he's joking...

:D
Performer user since--HOLY CR*P--1986? YIKES!
robstudio

Post by robstudio »

ohh I'm quite sure he isn't .... it's the delivery that's the killer ... and the fact that I can relate... except mine wasn't a hula dancer ... a differnet kind of dancer .... and yes it was the best year of my life too...
Regards, Rob
Mac Pro 2x2.66GHz, 3 GB Ram, OS10.4.11 (not using 10.5), DP5.13, 2408mKIII, 2408mKII, 328 Digital Console (x2), FostexD2424, Micro Lite, QSR, SPX90, URS, PSP, Altiverb, Alphatrack, Shuttle
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Shooshie wrote:You should see the list of musicians who died when they were 65! ;)
LOL!
Matcher wrote:Thanks for the heads up man, gotta start working on my will..
LOL!
Shooshie wrote:When Saturn returned in my life, it brought with it a new blonde girlfriend for me, who had the largest and most beautiful boobs I had ever seen, plus she had been a prize winning hula dancer in Hawaii, and she loved to demonstrate (topless) her artistry for me. It was the greatest year of my life.
Shooshie
If I even had a dream in this league, it'd make it the year of my life. :lol:
Hummanna hoola-hoopla hula hummanna... :shock:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Resonant Alien

Post by Resonant Alien »

This whole "return of Saturn" thing is pretty intriguing, although I don't really buy into it. That said, I did meet my wife when I was 27 and she was 31 - so we were both in our respective "return of Saturn" window.....zoinks!
gearboy

Post by gearboy »

I'm still on Saturn, personally. Space is the place.