Musical opinions needed

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
jlaudon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Musical opinions needed

Post by jlaudon »

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but I'd really appreciate some musical opinions from anyone whether there are any similarities you can hear between the song in the link below (this is a song called "in love with you" which I wrote and arranged in 1994 - it's the version you hear, except I don't know where all the 'doubling' came from - this song was an Asia wide hit song for a few years from '94-'98, still getting good royalites) and a 1999 song by Mariah Carey called "Thank God I found you", which if you can find a few minutes, you can check out a 30 second snip (of the main hook line) on iTunes by searching the name.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=9

I only heard Mariah Carey's song this year after someone pointed out there were similarities, so I might pursue this.

Thanks (and if this post isn't appropriate for whatever reason, James, please zap it to bit heaven) :) For the video on Youtube, I didn't put it there, but it's there anyway...
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
gavspen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by gavspen »

Aside from slight rhythmic differences to accomodate the lyric, the first two measures of the hook are, obviously, the same. I dont really see any other similarities. If you will excuse me for saying so, however, that short a passage doesnt strike me as so unique that one could rule out two composers coming up with it independently.

Also, bear in mind that in a plagiarism suit you must prove that the defendant had access to your tune. I, for one, had never heard your tune before (or the Mariah Carey thing, for that matter), and I dont think it would be hard for them to contend that they hadnt either.

Just my .02 cents, as they say.

Gavin