RECORDING HELP-RINGING NOISE

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
lerkys
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

RECORDING HELP-RINGING NOISE

Post by lerkys »

hello people,
I've got a problem hopefully someone knows what is going on....

Im running separate audio tracks out of my motu ultralite through an allen and heath Pa12 mixer, what is coming out the speakers sounds ok,
I am recording into the motu SPDIF coax from the allen and heath mixer.
The recording has this tinny ringing sound all the way through it,
I soloed individual tracks and they are all coming through with this same sound, tried it with analog ins as well, noise still there- different recording applications as well, still there
Cant hear it when monitoring thru headphones connected directly to the mixer either so must be the motu surely??!??

Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

you can hear it here
http://download.yousendit.com/BBCDDCF324348E08
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by monkey man »

Funny, I had an image in my head as to the sound you describe, and it's exactly what I'd pictured!
That's the good news. As to whether this will help, we'll have to see.

I've only ever heard this phenomenon when signal has bled into the main bus, usually via an aux send or sends.
I'd double-check all aux routing on the desk, starting with the disabling of said routing or the returns.
If you've bled a little signal into a POD-style preamp and returned that to the main bus, the effect could well be exaggerated due to the preset's as well as the device's distortion and impedance characteristics.

It's a very long and carefully-aimed shot, but it just might hit the target. :D

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
splatterbass
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by splatterbass »

allen and heath boards have always had a problem with bleed.
they sound great for live but i have always been iffy about using them for recording, recording out of busses on a heath? nope. direct outs only way to go. i have an older heath board that i installed direct outs on for this reason.