Got you're iPhone? You paid too much! Apple stocks plummet..

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Got you're iPhone? You paid too much! Apple stocks plummet..

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/09/0 ... index.html

Maybe if they worked better, they'd still be $600?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Oooohh.... The end of Apple Lies just around the corner!!! ;)

How many times have people predicted the end of Apple? Not that you were.... just making light of the situation.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

"Your call can not be completed as dialed, please purchase iPhoneCare for $299 to complete your call" :twisted:
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
Resonant Alien
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Resonant Alien »

This should be a surprise to no one. Anyone who buys a new electronic product the day it is released should know that within a few months the prices will come down. If they don't know that, shame on them......you can get a Motorola RAZR for free now. When they came out, they were $600 too.

My big gripe is with the iPod Touch - only 16GB???? That's pretty f-in useless if you ask me, particularly for a $400 device!
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

Resonant Alien wrote:My big gripe is with the iPod Touch - only 16GB???? That's pretty f-in useless if you ask me, particularly for a $400 device!
Whether or not 16 GB of storage in a portable media player will work for you is one argument, but somewhat separate from the argument of whether its cost is justified.

Just plain ol' 8GB USB flash drives run as much as $200 (though I've seen a 16 GB flash drive for $225), so consider the additional device costs (hardware), the UI programming (software), it being a media player (aside from the costs of making it one, just being one has an inherent value), multi-touch (additional value aside from the hardware design), wi-fi, web browsing, calendar, a potentially very interesting hack platform, overall chic-ness, etc., and the cost doesn't seem out of line. Compared to the hard drive based iPods its storage seems paltry for the price, but compare it to other flash-based devices and the picture makes more sense.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Resonant Alien wrote:This should be a surprise to no one. Anyone who buys a new electronic product the day it is released should know that within a few months the prices will come down. If they don't know that, shame on them......you can get a Motorola RAZR for free now. When they came out, they were $600 too.

My big gripe is with the iPod Touch - only 16GB???? That's pretty f-in useless if you ask me, particularly for a $400 device!
That is a law of nature :) It just seems like the price drop for the iPhone was faster and steeper than one might have expected. Sometimes being first in line is not always the best position to be in. Jumping out of planes, executions and iPhone sales...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

That is a law of nature Smile It just seems like the price drop for the iPhone was faster and steeper than one might have expected. Sometimes being first in line is not always the best position to be in. Jumping out of planes, executions and iPhone sales...
Ha ha ha ha ha that made my morning thank you
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

Jobs gives iphone early iPhone adopters $100.00 credit

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiphoneletter/
To all iPhone customers:

I have received hundreds of emails from iPhone customers who are upset about Apple dropping the price of iPhone by $200 two months after it went on sale. After reading every one of these emails, I have some observations and conclusions.

First, I am sure that we are making the correct decision to lower the price of the 8GB iPhone from $599 to $399, and that now is the right time to do it. iPhone is a breakthrough product, and we have the chance to 'go for it' this holiday season. iPhone is so far ahead of the competition, and now it will be affordable by even more customers. It benefits both Apple and every iPhone user to get as many new customers as possible in the iPhone 'tent'. We strongly believe the $399 price will help us do just that this holiday season.

<SNIP>

Third, even though we are making the right decision to lower the price of iPhone, and even though the technology road is bumpy, we need to do a better job taking care of our early iPhone customers as we aggressively go after new ones with a lower price. Our early customers trusted us, and we must live up to that trust with our actions in moments like these.

Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Details are still being worked out and will be posted on Apple's website next week. Stay tuned.

More at link

--

PS I was gonna start my own thread w this -- will anyway to highlight it.
Resonant Alien

Post by Resonant Alien »

kassonica wrote:
That is a law of nature Smile It just seems like the price drop for the iPhone was faster and steeper than one might have expected. Sometimes being first in line is not always the best position to be in. Jumping out of planes, executions and iPhone sales...
Ha ha ha ha ha that made my morning thank you
He He :lol:
Resonant Alien

Post by Resonant Alien »

carrythebanner wrote:
Resonant Alien wrote:My big gripe is with the iPod Touch - only 16GB???? That's pretty f-in useless if you ask me, particularly for a $400 device!
Whether or not 16 GB of storage in a portable media player will work for you is one argument, but somewhat separate from the argument of whether its cost is justified.

Just plain ol' 8GB USB flash drives run as much as $200 (though I've seen a 16 GB flash drive for $225), so consider the additional device costs (hardware), the UI programming (software), it being a media player (aside from the costs of making it one, just being one has an inherent value), multi-touch (additional value aside from the hardware design), wi-fi, web browsing, calendar, a potentially very interesting hack platform, overall chic-ness, etc., and the cost doesn't seem out of line. Compared to the hard drive based iPods its storage seems paltry for the price, but compare it to other flash-based devices and the picture makes more sense.
Logical, but essentially what it means is that people are being asked to pay $25 per GB for the Touch versus $2 per GB for the Classic, essentially to get a pretty and spiffy user interface with WiFi. I guess if you are in the market for a compact web browser/PDA-like device with a kick-ass interface that can also by-the-way store a few songs and vids, then it is a good deal, but if you want a "real" iPod with good storage capacity along with the cool interface, the Touch a'int it.
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

Resonant Alien wrote:Logical, but essentially what it means is that people are being asked to pay $25 per GB for the Touch versus $2 per GB for the Classic, essentially to get a pretty and spiffy user interface with WiFi.
I've heard that if you current own any "classic" iPod with 40+ GB of storage, it's pretty much impossible to get used to a device that can't hold your whole collection. But I've only ever personally owned a 1st gen Shuffle, I'm already used to the idea of having only a small subset of my collection with me (actually, I only use 750 MB – the other 250 are saved for disk space); moving up to 8 or 16 GB will be great.
Resonant Alien wrote:I guess if you are in the market for a compact web browser/PDA-like device with a kick-ass interface that can also by-the-way store a few songs and vids, then it is a good deal, but if you want a "real" iPod with good storage capacity along with the cool interface, the Touch a'int it.
True. But I am in the market for a compact kick-ass PDA-like gadget, so the Touch has definitely piqued my intereset.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."