Adjusting tempo for "ACIDized" .WAV files?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
IWood
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Adjusting tempo for "ACIDized" .WAV files?

Post by IWood »

This is tangentially related (sort of) to the Time Stretch broken 5.12 thread, but I thought I'd start a new one rather than tack it on there.

I've got Smart Loops Pro Drum Works, ACID edition. My impression was that DP would be able to adjust the tempo of said loops without compression/stretching/pitch shifting of the audio.

I may have been tragically wrong about that; was I?
DP 4.61
828 mkII (Firewire 1.2.4; MIDI 1.2.9)
OS X 10.4.11
Mini 1.25/80GB/1GB RAM
GLYPH GT050 120GB
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by FMiguelez »

If you mean you expected DP to work with the audio loops just like Acid, I'm afraid you were...

It would be nice if it did, though.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
IWood

Post by IWood »

FMiguelez wrote:.

If you mean you expected DP to work with the audio loops just like Acid, I'm afraid you were...

It would be nice if it did, though.
Nuts.

Just so I know how bad to feel: is there a format that does work that way in DP?
DP 4.61
OS X 10.4.11
Mini 1.25/80GB/1GB RAM
GLYPH GT050 120GB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I haven't tried it yet (the disks are staring at me on my desk here, waiting for me to install them), but Mach Five-2 claims to be able to do things like that. It says it will sync the loops to your tempo and key and all that. It does not say "but it will sound like chipmunks," but then again, it doesn't say it won't, either. I'm assuming that it will do the job and make it sound good. Until I find out otherwise, I'll stick to that assumption.

You might try the Mach Five forum and ask if anyone has done that, and how the results turned out.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Probably REX files, but I've never used those in DP.

I mean, you can always stretch and pitch shift audio in DP, but not in real-time like you can in Acid. Is that what you want?
What's nice about Acid is that you just change the project tempo, and the loops follow, with no offline processing.

If you are heavily into loops, and you already have DP, check out Stylus RMX, or/and Ableton's Live. They work wonders when paired with DP, and very similar to the way Acid handles pitch shifting and stretching in real time.

Just so I totally understand what you want: you thought DP worked exactly like Acid regarding loop work? I hope you're not terrible disappointed... :?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
IWood

Post by IWood »

FMiguelez wrote:.

Probably REX files, but I've never used those in DP. [...]

I hope you're not terrible disappointed... :?
Nah, I just may have screwed up and bought the wrong format for my drums. That's all I plan to use loops for--everything else is DI or analogue.

For now, I'm treating DP like a big honking tape recorder: hit REC and go.
DP 4.61
OS X 10.4.11
Mini 1.25/80GB/1GB RAM
GLYPH GT050 120GB
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

If I remember right, I have use Acid loops in Sound Tracks Pro, I think they may work in Garage Band.
You could ajust the tempo then send a file out and import it into DP.
I will test this today.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.